Register now to get rid of these ads!

New coilover doesn't rebound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petebert, Mar 18, 2011.

1. petebert

petebert

Bought a new set of coilovers for the rear from A-1. Was curious as to how stiff they were so I pressed down on both of them. On the first try the one rebounded pretty slowly with a creaking sound, after that it doesn't rebound on its own at all. The other one seems pretty smooth but makes some noise when it gets to the top.

I emailed them and they suggested mounting them and the weight/motion of the car will work it out.

I can't say I know anything about shocks so I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

[​IMG]

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

souds like they are binding or the internal bushings are too tight and binding ..
    and i bet they do want you to install them, that way they can say they are used , and not responsible..

JMO..if they sent thoose to me, I'd send em right back asking for my money back , and go buy a good set of QA-1's..or any others for that matter

I would NOT mount those

3. Toner283

Toner283

Sounds to me like you have a bigger problem than just that it will not rebound. If that spring will not rebound with just the pressure of the shock working against it then how will it act when it has to work against the weight of the vehicle?

If you can compress them just by pushing down on them, how are they going to support the weight of the car? The coilovers that are on the back of our coupe will not even budge by hand. with the weight of the car on them they compress a bit and with one or two people in the car they compress even more.

I agree with Von Rigg Fink, if you mount them up you likely own them one way or the other. I would send them back in a short hurry.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Every time I see a "near name brand" (QA-1 * A-1) (Super Bell * Beal Superior) I run like a rabbit.
    Send em back-most likely the shaft is bent. JMO

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

I have to agree with everyone here. Do not install. Send them back.

8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I agree with Toner283 that if you can compress those by hand they will not support the weight of your vehicle.

9. Sure does look like a Load Leveler type shock.
    H

10. petebert

petebert

Load leveler may be more accurate. Kanter and where I got them http://www.shocks2springs.com/ calls them coilover. The idea is to use them help tired leaf springs.

My application is in the rear of a very stock 4 door 52 Lincoln which probably still has the original leafs.

[​IMG]

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either way, return them. Something is very wrong.

Nice Lincoln, by-the-way.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ditto

if you bolt them up..they will be yours for life, like em or not

every time you see them hangin on your wall you'll get pissed

13. redo32

redo32

Cut a coil on the front.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now you're thinkin'!

15. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Install lowering blocks and new shocks and yup cut the front coils:D

16. petebert

petebert

Here's their latest response, "sometimes some spray paint ends up on the shaft and it gets stuck in the wiper seal, this should clear itself up quickly when on the car"

17. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

That could very well be but if you install them and they do not work correctly will they take them back and refund your money 100% - no restocking fee ? That would be my next question to them. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Those are most definitely not coil over shocks that are designed to be the sole means of suspension for the rear of a car.

Unless you have another primary set of springs do not use these. What you have are coil assisted shock absorbers designed to suplement the main suspension and help with ride height- load capacity.

Return them don't install them. Get your money back and buy a proper set if they are to be your main means of suspension.

19. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

yeah, depending on the car, my a with coil overs on the back has 140 lb springs, can`t compress em, so, likely those are just halpers and won`t hold up a car, just cause thay won`t rebound doesn`t really mean anything either, if they aren`t gas, they generally won`t rebound, if they are only oil, no rebound, yeah need a gas shock to have rebound.....

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its got springs...it better rebound, or its a POS!..(by rebound i mean fully extend after full compression)