Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Did You Become A...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ponchoman

ponchoman

My Dad and Mom brought me home from the hospital in a '37 Pontiac 2 Dr. Sedan, and Dad never owned anything else until the late 70's when he bought an Olds. My first Tat, at a somewhat advanced age (for a Tat), was Chief Pontiac, So what more can I say. Got a Chevy powered altered and a '63 Chevy SWB, so I'm not totally hardcore Pontiac. :D

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Grew up around Chevys and Buicks. My parents drove Chevys if they bought new, but Buicks were my Dad's favorite, so he usually bought a Buick if he could find a good one that was 1-2 yrs. old. Said he'd rather have a used Buick, than almost anything else new.
    I do remember in 1957 he came home with a brand new Plymouth Savoy, and we nearly had a heart attack! It didn't last long, as it had issues pretty fast, and in late '59 a new 1960 Chevy came home to replace it.
    I've had a few non Chevy cars, but mostly stuck with Chevys myself. Worked for Cadillac right out of hi school, and went to GM training school, but never liked Caddy's as they were just too big for a young hotrodder like I was. I did have a few co-workers that drove all sorts of Caddy powered cars and trucks though!

3. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

i dont really care ,, anything old is cool ,, :)

4. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

I've always been a Ford guy because my dad was, and I was really into Model T's at a young age. I love my ford pickup daily driver and all the other fords we've had in the family. I don't really like chevy's because I don't really like chevy guys, but I love the good GM cars like Olds, Cadillac, and my '37 Buick. Mopars aren't bad either, I have one of those too. I guess as long as it ain't made by Tojo it's alright in my book.

5. BEAR

BEAR

b/c thats what we had chevy's

6. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

no real preference,but I liked the 327 in this car versus the cookie cutter 350's
    and I just think all 40's style coupes are cool

7. choprodinc

choprodinc

don't matter! if it's internal combustion... "I dig it" but I am sick of seeing chevy engines in fords... i'd like to take something sacred like a vintage corvette or 55 chevy and put a ford big block in it just to watch people's faces when they see it! mmm! good idea!

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad had a grudge against Fords because he fell asleep driving a Model A across country in the late 40's and ran it into a ditch. No real harm to him or the car but for some reason he held it against the car. And yet he bought a 66 Mustang in 1975, his first and only Ford. I just bought my wife a Ford DD, first one I've ever owned. At this point, I'm brand agnostic. I just like cool cars.

9. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

Earliest memories are nothing but ford. Grandpa, grandma, dad, uncles...everyone had fords. First car I ever turned a wrench on was my dads 50 ford business coupe.
    An uncle on my dads side is a die hard chevy fan...I go outta my way to antagonize him about chevys just for shits and giggles. dirty secret...I trade all my heaps for a high winding, tunnel rammed 327, 4spd gasser tri-five in a second.

10. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

if it's got four tires, that's close enough for me. I have had Chevy, Ford, Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Mercury, Cadillac, Dodge, Plymouth, Anglia, Austin Healy, Opal, VW, Toyota, Honda, MG from 37 to 97. Some have been junk, some have good rides.

11. storm king

storm king

My Dad was a Mopar guy from way back. Way back. My brother, who is 9 years older than me, was dating the local Chevy dealer's daughter in '62, when he graducated high school. He ALMOST bought a '63 Split window 'Vette, but Dad said, "I've always driven Mopars, let's see what the local Dodge dealer has to offer. We found out about the Super Stock package, and bought a new '64 max wedge. I'm so glad we did. After many years racing I have a deep rooted abiding hatered for all things GM. My experience has been that when you beat a GM guy at the track, they whinned and bitched and try to change the rules (which they've been very successful at). If you beat a Ford guy, he'd shake you hand and say, "I'll see you next week". That's my experience. The other reason is that if I wanted to build a hot rod to have something different, why on earth would I put the same driveline in it that everyone else has? It just makes no sense to me...

12. With the exception of my '30 Model A two door and a couple VW bugs I owned every car I ever had that I really loved driving was a Mopar.

13. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

bowties were and still are a family tradition:)

14. I had a 70 GTX Built 440 4 speed Dana 60 Rear End. No better combo unless it was a HEMI.
    Now I have this 56 F-100 with 383 Mopar (NOT A CHEVY) 727 Trans 9 1/4 rear end with a 323 gear.
    Can't get away from Mopar Power Plants.
    Now looking for a Gear Vendors to add to the 727. Then change from carb to TB Injection.

15. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

because 4 door mopars are all I can afford. I like them and i like that others dont

16. To me 4 door cars never did looked cool unless it is 40's or older.

17. I grew up with olds and fords. mom loved olds and dad was a ford man true blue. I remember the day mom came home in a new 65 442 ! dad had a 57 fairlane 390 4 speed car. with a uncle owning a wrecking yard it was what I wanted or could work for. but I always came back to olds.

18. 1320/150

1320/150

I am sure mr. dart could give a shit if you like his car. For god sakes you have a ford truck straight out of the 80's!!!

19. rynogeezy

rynogeezy
    from seattle

i aint biased i will cut anything!

20. With 5 Fords and a Mercury is should say Ford, but no i'm not a Ford guy.
    Also have a 51 Buick and recently sold my Desoto.
    As long as it's old and nice it's fine :)

Hennie

21. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Simple....because I like Chevy's.

22. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Hudsons... was born into it. My dad had almost a dozen at any given time, same with my grandpa. There was always other stuff around, but the Hudsons were the creme of the crop :)

23. StrickV8

StrickV8

grandfather was a service manager of a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership in the mid 50s. i have all his old chassis and body parts manuals. dad bought me my first car at 15. a 53 Mercury. had it ever since.

24. Duhh....Never said I didn't like it. 4 door cars just aren't as popular.
    I've seen many 4 door cars that look cool. I'm sure Mr. Dart has good ideas for his ride.
    80's truck? where did that come from?

25. ford just seems american

26. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Probably 3 events that made me a Blue oval fan:

10 years old: Saw a 427 Cobra for the first time, was the main reason I got into cars

15 years old: bought my first car, a fox body Mustang, mostly cause it was cheap

20 years old: got my first real job as a tech at a Ford dealer, still there (sorta, I just moved the their Mazda store)

27. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

My Dad worked for the Ford dealer, all we had were Fords and my first car and my first rod were Fords, must have been genetic!

28. daddylama

daddylama

used to be a Mopar guy. still love Mopars...
    but I also love certain GMs, FoMoCos, etc, etc. just love cars.

kinda like women: don't want to be hooked on just brunettes, when there's plenty of other hot ones...

much like women, though... there are some i just don't dig. AMC always seemed like the fat chicks of cars, to me :D

29. I grew up Chevy because i read Hot rod magazine and that was all they showed in the 70's.
    Then I got my first mopar and that is all I have at the moment.

However,,since i found the HAMB,,I cant wait to get my hands on a V8 flat head,,hopefully a Merc.,,( I am looking at one from a friend now).
    But,,any flathead would do I think.
    This site is an addiction!

Tommy

30. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Dad is a ford guy, I had few,
    broke all of them, switched to Chevy and have been there for 20 years or so. However, if I were to get a ford to hot rod like a 3 window or something it would have to have a Ford mill. The sbc in everything I don't care for.