Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso city council member's response

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cleatus, Aug 31, 2007.

1. This won't make things better, but the same shit happens here. The Bright run every November is put on by one club and basically takes over the small country town of... Bright. It's hard to police who is an "entrant" and who is not, but they had around 600 official paid up entrants last year and who knows how many "freeloaders." And, as you know, it's the extras and local young (and not so young) dickheads that cause the problems. So for this year they haven't moved town, but they have had to relocate to the town showgrounds which will kinda kill the atmosphere, ala Paso.

We feel your pain. All the best for SM. And yes, councils are universal as well!

2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

wow...i'm gone for awhile and now find this?? how sad :(

3. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

That'll teach you to be gone for a while!!!!!! This is all your fault you know......

Thanks Speed....

4. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Thanks Joe...now everyone knows I ruined Paso.... "The Chink that stole Paso"

5. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

We'll forgive you.....just dont ever do it again,and apologize to everyone, and have your car shipped to me.......then I'll call it even.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Any updates/flyers for the new show location?

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think Danimal said it best..so for lack of saying that/.. ive got nothin' to add

8. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Enough Whining!

9. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Paso WAS great .

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

The best thing anyone and everyone can do is make the show in Santa Maria look superior to the one in Paso - this would be the best 'thumb to your collective noses' that anyone/everyone can give to the city of Paso.

That being said, anyone who's still fighting the 'good' fight could compare the number of calls to police over the 3 day period to the number of calls occurring during the state fair.

Another thing that could be pointed out is that while the city 'spent' $35K on the event - but only made $1500 - should point out that if an average of only $5 per spectator (they reported 27,000 of them) per day was spent, the minimum money made from the spectators is $135,000! If only 9% sales tax is collected on that amount, the total tax collection revenue would be $12120.00! Not such a large loss to the city after all. However, my calculations are only the MINIMUM amount as an estimate.

If 27,000 people spent an average of $15.00 in the city, the total revenue would be $405,000! And tax revenues would be $36,360!

Take it for what its worth. I was born in Santa Maria, but haven't been back since 2001. It is what it is - at least with the show in Santa Maria I've got an excuse to go visit the aunt and uncle I don't care for very much. LOL

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Cities only get 1 of the 9%...the rest goes to the State and the County...

12. strohmdl

strohmdl

First Hollister, now Paso...someday the promoters and cities will figure out how to get a win for everyone.

13. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It tears me up everytime some one complains aboat the show not being held in Paso, from the greedy motels that would jack up the rates from 25 dlls to 200 dlls a night , just because of the show, those rooms were so awful , a hooker woulden't stay in them on a regular night. the cops haresing all the time, you would have to get up at 4 a.m. to get in line to park your vehical, the rv parks would jack up the rates from 20dlls for a motor home to 60 dlls a person, just because of the show. they tore down the A and W drive in , and the bowling alley. last I heard , the chamber of comerence sued the city concil for running out the show, the last straw was when they told Penny that they didn't want primered cars or tatoo people. so are we going to punish Penny for being loyal to us, She was the first major show that welcomed are kind of cars with open arms. For years we had to put up with the Greedy Guy shows , that would park us in some back corner and send security guards to harass us. Penny has been my friend for many years, when ford row died at the Pomona Swappmeet,in the early nighties, she and Bill Papke from West Coast Customs, invited me to sell next to them on row 14, there along with Chico from Mooneyes, we started a greaser row. Penny would sell her traditonal books and magazines, Bill would sell the shoe box and merc and Kustom parts, Chico would sell the chrome goodies, and I would sell the rusty model "A" bodies and 40 brakes, Penny was instrumental in starting the scene. Penny is not a wealthy lady and survives on her sales of books and magazines, and deserves our respect and suport and loyalty. The City of Paso does not deserve our bussiness, San Luis Obispo is even worse, one year , on my way back from Paso, we stop over night in San Luis Obispo, they imponded my truck because it had mexican plates, they argued that it was probable stolen, they kept my truck for over a month and later called me and told me I could pick it up, but the storage bill was over two thousand dlls. so I lost my truck, The city of Santa Maria is ausome, the towns people are friendly and constantly thank us for visiting their town. So those of you who haven't gone , give Penny the support she deserves instead of complaining.

14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have a couple of old car buddies that own farms on the outskirts of Paso, I remember them telling me that Paso was a farm town , but in the mid nighties, a large number of yuppies from San Francisco started to move in, they wanted to make it a trendy town and the city started to cater to a large number of bicicyle clubs, you know the guys of gentil gender that wear the spandix suits and wear the penis looking helmets and clickaty clac shoes, these are the tourists that Paso prefers, they buy flowers and woven baskets , not beer like us , So maybe my friends are a little ruff around the edges and wear tatoos, It doesen't make us bad people, all I know is that I am not going to trade my hot rod for a bicicyle and wear a superman suit , just to make these people happy. typical polititians, in their letter, they used a hundred words to tell us to f-off. By the way, those two city concil members need to go out and by a couple of Elvis wigs, they look terrible with out hair.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

This event was moved to Santa Maria going on four years ago.:rolleyes: it's time to move on....

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Not to mention the fact that paragraphs are your friend. ;)

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It was the secound year of the Del Mar Nationals,I invited several of the traditional car clubs from San Diego and L.A. I purchase a 60 dll camping permit for the group so they would let us barb-que some hot dogs, they parked us a quater mile from the show , along with all my swapp meet buddies, they sent over 20 security staff to watch us , they woulden't even let us open a can of soda, they never sent any custermers for the swappmeet, and all my swapp buddies left piss off. when we fired off the bar-b-que , they sent the sherif, I showed him the reciet for the camping permit, he said we couldent bar-b-que till after the show was over. but that was never stipulated when I purchased the permit. I think my friend Willy Dorsey did a protest thread on this on the hamb. That same year , we were at the L.A. Roadster Show, and a few weeks later, a ariticle was written in the Goodguy Gazett by one of Garys staff members, it was the guy that had the t.v. show, he stated that the government shouldent let us drive our cars, and that they were unsafe, again a thread was done on the hamb on this, The Goodguy organization has done a lot of legislation for us, but in the early years of our scene , they were very rude to us.

18. buick64

buick64
    from socal

enjoy santa maria and thank you wck PENNY for making it possible

what a great show and good people putting it on

thank you Penny and crew.

19. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

My question is, why does he care if this show is a source of income for someone? Don't we all have to make a living somehow? At least the promoter isn't sucking off the teat of the tax payers like all politicians do.

California politicians really have a big problem with small business, I hope they enjoy the lack of income when we all leave.

20. Let me rephrase this...... Holy 3 year old thread cow... What is done is done. Enjoy Santa Maria..

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I have a bit of experience putting together events, so for what it's worth, here's my take (stay awake during the math portion). The councilman says the city's net loss is $45,845, and a few here have said that would be offset by additional tax revenue. Paso Robles tax rate is 8.25%, and obviously the town doesn't get all of that, but let's just assume SOMEHOW they do. To overcome that $45k deficit at 8.25%, $555,696 in taxable revenue must be generated to be REVENUE NEUTRAL (break even). Let's assume that there are 10,000 attendees. Each one of those attendees must spend $55 each for the city to break even (IF the city got the whole 8.25%). So ask yourselves these easy questions.....
    Did 10,000 attend? (you don't even want to know how much it would be for only 800)
    Does the city get the whole 8.25%?
    Did each of those 10,000 spend at least $55?
    If you said no to ANY one of those, then you are expecting the city to LOSE money on that event. In this recession, does ANYONE want to pay for someone else's good time?
    I'm only using the expense figures presented in this thread and have no way of knowing if they are accurate. However, what's painfully obvious is that all this revenue people ASSUME is there really isn't.
    Don't be pissed, it's only math.....
    Oh, and yes it's an old thread, but the math is similar for all events..... even today.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The horse is dead fellas....let her rest in peace!