Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vega Box VS R&P Cross Steer in a Model A'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Mar 17, 2011.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

Trying to plan for future modifications to the A' coupe frame, I am wondering about steering choices available and your thoughts on this, if you have used either style? I am using a 4" dropped axle, 56F100 front brakes, reversed e spring, and original 40 round back spindles with the RH having the extra hole for the draqg link. A Vega box with the cross steer seems good - the new R&P cross steer box seems good too... What are your thoughts, and problems that I have not considered with either option. Thanking you in advance for your time and experience. Steve

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I actually have both of these steering setups in 1932 Fords. :)

I have a Vega box in my 32 roadster and I have the Uni-Steer in the 32 3W coupe. Both work nice. My Vega box is a original General Motors installed Vega box in a 1975 Vega ( low miles on the Vega when I removed it in 1977 ) . It is not a repro box. It drives good ... and has a good turning radius ( tight sharp turns possible ).

The 32 3W has the new Uni-Steer rack and pinion. I went with the new Uni-Steer because most all of the Vega boxes were worn out and I had heard a few horror stories about the repro Vega boxes. The Uni-Steer drives as good or maybe BETTER going down the highway than the Vega box. But it does not turn as tight as the Vega. :(

[​IMG]

The turning radius does NOT bother me enough to put a Vega on the 3W ... or does the Uni-Steer do so good as to install one on the roadster. :rolleyes:

I have a nice, tight original GM built Vega box ( as a spare ) for the roadster ... when it is worn enough to replace.

None of this REALLY helps you ... I guess :confused:

The Vega is more traditional ...

Just choose one and go with it. BOTH drive nice.

3. dorksrock

dorksrock

I do not have experience with the uni-steer setup, however, I do really like the vega setup. I like that its compact, and the mounting seems much cleaner then the uni-steer. Plus, if something were to go wrong, its a common part that you could get parts for at any napa or other parts store in case something happened.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D

The Uni-Steer mounting bracket is the SAME as the Vega :) :)

You can unbolt a Vega and install a Uni-Steer ... or unbolt the Uni-Steer and bolt on a Vega ... all to the same bracket on the frame :eek:

5. dorksrock

dorksrock

I just noticed that now that you mention it! actually a pretty slick way to do it.

6. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

I believe you'll find the early Nova manual steering boxes are almost identical to the Vega box. They have the same mounting and are a hell of a lot cheaper at swap meets than the Vega unit. The Nova box I used cost me $15. But I'm cheap!