Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Glenn Cupit

Glenn Cupit

Coupe on left is Boogie Scott of New Orleans.
    Glenn - in Louisiana

2. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Roo, you guys had the coolest shit in the world down there. Any other info or pics on this set-up? What kind of injectors are those?
    Oh, and that Slant rail...MORE!

3. Brash

Brash

The knowledge of the stories behind the cars in this thread just never ceases to amaze me! I wasn't around for most of it (I'm only 25) but thought I was pretty good - I now know otherwise.

Anyways, mentioning Hutchy, you'd be as dissappointed by this as me:( Spotted out the back of a used car lot on Main North Road in January Last year. I so wish I had the means to grab it and restore it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in better times, Brooksfield
    [​IMG]

4. Brash

Brash

Who here is on facebook? For those who haven't already, find American Nitro. Best thing on there, without a doubt! Constantly, they're lobbing things like this into my news feed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

I think some thing is missing, like the headers, or am I missing something here? Maybe a new car picture unvailing?

6. rooman

rooman

My brother just brought some more of my old slides and negatives back from Australia so I will post some more of the early Aussie stuff once I get them in digital format. I may have some more of the slant six car in that batch.
    As for the injectors they were built by During, just like the ones on the slant motor car. He used steel tubing and flat plate to make the injector body itself, welding bosses on for the throttle shafts. Lots of copper line with brass "olive" fittings and a small aircraft mechanical fuel pump.
    He was one of the few of us that had a lathe back in those days and was the go to guy for lots of stuff. He also used to make spool front hubs for our spoked wheels. We used Honda 50 rims and had the local motorcycle shops lace them up. Before that we used exhaust reducers and brazed the flanges and rings for the bearing races.
    Jeff retired from his job as a mechanic for the Post Office some years back and the last time that I saw him he was making muzzle loader rifles in his garage.

Roo

7. rooman

rooman

The last photo is one of mine of the earlier version of the car after Brian swapped the flathead out for a Y-block. The others are of the last version that had a Windsor Ford in it but I see that it appears to have a Y-block now.

Roo

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

" I think some thing is missing, like the headers, or am I missing something here? Maybe a new car picture unvailing?[/QUOTE] "

Probably transported without headers. Looks like he is just unloading. Always a lot to do before making a run.

9. Falconred

Falconred

You are probably right, it looked like Yellow River when I first saw the photo but it looks too flat back behind the starting line to be Yellow River, you came up hill from the pits to the starting line there.

10. Believe that is Tyler,TX. Dennis Doubleday

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Does anyone have a pic of D.A. Santucci's 69 Front engine Dragstar. Ran out of Pittsburg. Won the 1969 Top Gas Class at the US Nationals.

Might have a chance to buy this one but have no pics of what it looked like back in the Day.

12. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

See, that's all awesome stuff...the ART of drag racing. I've always said, it's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  13. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Post some pics...I can probably come pretty close to IDing that car. That final at Indy was where he almost choked to death on a piece of gum he was chewing. Let the clutch fly, and down his throat it went.
    I knew DA from his Funny Car days. The man was a class act every step of the way. His wife pops up on the Classic Funny Car board from time to time. I'm sure she has plenty of pics of the Gas Rail.

14. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Frantic 4-(Weekly,Rivero,Fox,Holding) I shot it in ,65 at CDR Castle Rock,CO. That might be "Stormin Norman" in Orange T-shirt?

15. Yep, that's Norm and Jim Fox, the man who made the horsepower.

16. Royal Rail job; Hemi-study..

17. Hell Brash- A yard with trees, and pray..

I saw it in a strip tow- show (cackle- like display) at AIR a decade or so ago '( SAHRA or Crusader's anniversary?) It looked sharp then.

Hutchesson's Y- block is makin' bacon in Brash's shot (below).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  18. I'm going north Sunday. Anyone give a steer on the old Brooksfield site address?

19. BBMan

BBMan

Muttley,
    Have you tried Google's free Picasa3 ? It helped me resurrect several old pics and was pretty simple, even for a computer dummy like me.

20. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

21. Mr. Galore

Mr. Galore

these are the kind of photos that make my "normal" racing friends think I'm not quite right for wanting to build and race a nostalgia short wheelbase altered lol

22. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I'll guess that's at Riverside?

23. WCD

WCD

The style of painting and graphics depicted here on the Clark Opel was seen on several other mid-west cars gassers and modified production cars. Who was it that applied the paint? It doesnt seem quite like "Greg of Ohio". But its a "patented" style

24. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

How cool is it that Prudhomme found, bought back, and fully resto'd his old hauler? Plus he had his old Cuda FC to put on the back. Incredible.

25. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Fremont!

26. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Very cool "in motion" shot. All torqued-up and trying to do everything but go straight. Note the lower door gap.

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Love the skinny rear wheels and fat slicks look of those days. Rear wheels look like Torq Thrust Ds for disc brakes.

28. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Pocatello, ID. That factory is still there, I think. The strip is still visible alongside the highway too.