Register now to get rid of these ads!

F**K The CALIFORNIA DMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Mar 16, 2011.

1. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I am dealing with something similar, they wend you a letter stating that in ten days from the issue of this letter, your wages are garnished. too bad you recieve it 8 days agter its sent, and yes your work will pull it out, no matter what.

2. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I have, course when it resurfaced years later they charged me interest on it. a $8000 secret bill ended up costing me $16000 despite numberous account audits and pay-offs

i have a similar situation going with a release also, release was lost by dmv, looks like it will end up costing me about $100. in the past when i sold a car or bike i would just hand over the folder with the title and all reciepts, now it looks like i need to keep their name and address on file.

i'm not sure how racial it is to say it sucks to be in the compton dmv for 2 hours and be white. obviously you've never been to compton

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A buddy of mine had a really cherry '69 Z28, perfect body in skunk colors, very nice Torque-Thrusts, correct 302 with off-road cam and cross-ram with the right air cleaner, etc.- very nice car. So he sells it to this big rich kid in town, not to mechanically inclined but all his buddies have fast cars, yada yada. So the kid does more partying than business, and never transfers the car. So then the rocket scientist grenades the gennie 302 after partaking in some good bud, and splits the scene considering his condition, leaving the car along the highway at 1AM. Car's towed, impounded since the reg is expired, and a few days later they call my bud since he's the "last known owner" in the computer, and somebody has to pay the towing, ticket and impound, if he'll pay, come and get it- so he did, and locked it up in his garage. Kid shows up in court with daddy's attorney, of course he had lost the pink and bill of sale, had no proof of anything. My buddy never had to testify, Judge looked at the towing and impound receipts, DMV printout, orders my bud to pay the back registration, car's his with a fresh pink, see ya.

4. bought my falcon for $160 what a deal i thought...until i got the Ca DMV, $468 in back fees over the last 5 years made it not such a great deal! Why do i have to pay for someone elses inability to! SUX Between the DMV and POST OFFICE I don't know which is worse. The government needs to spend more money improving these places and less money food stamps and government housing!

5. iamflashman

iamflashman

ditto! The DMV here is actually pretty decent. Just make sure you get a signed 130 when you buy a car!

6. Release of liability is the last link in the chain.
    I junked a 68 p/u a while ago. Took pictures of it leaving on the flatbed.
    When the DMV letters started coming, I sent a RoL form with the
    info of the towing company who hauled it to Pick/Part.
    Never heard from them again.

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I lived in CA when I was a kid. I always thought I wanted to move back someday but things just didn't play out that way. Several years ago I finally made it back for a visit. Even if I was in sync with the state's politics and practices, the are now way too many people and problems. Nothing against those who choose to live there, but I am disappointed by what the place has become.

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

The law must have changed since my problem, I was sued by the people hurt by the new owner of my 41 chevy. The law then stated you notify DMV "or" sign and date the back of your title where designated to release you from liability. The lawyers got of my back? I don't know how I could prove I did that but I guess the burden of proof was on them.
    1975 time frame, god that was a long time ago

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I never head of this before...Just a few states? Bought and sold many vehicles in NY and never did what you're talking about.

10. belair

belair

Let the seller beware.

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So.................being broke and stupid is only two of California's problems? We are almost broke, as stupid as any other place in the USA but the last election produced a ray of hope and more people WITH brains voted than people WITHOUT brains. Seems the same happened a lot of other places. Our only hope as a nation is that between now and 2012 a whole lot more wake up and finish the house cleaning. The heads of all of the departments that have been mentioned are there because of elections (hint...hint) and I'm not speaking party affiliations, I'm talking about being an American, being proud of it, saying enough is enough, and electing only those who are of the same persuasion.

Frank

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

But I can wait 7 months for them to tell me that I'm not getting my title issued.

15. They say to do the release of liability through AAA, get a dated copy, and hold it for 5 years. I'm keeping mine for 10. Fuck that

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

17. Well, I did one yrs ago and the fuck that bought the car got tickets that I had to pay even though I sent the release of liability (as I ALWAYS DO). I went back and forth with our wonderful government on the phone, in person and through the mail for months. After which they decided to do an investigation.......which led to them telling me ....yeah, you/I have to pay.

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

One more reason to hope for that place to fall into the fuckin ocean!

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Wow....some of you fellows must lead some really miserable lives, to carry around an attitude like this through life....:cool:

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks, that very helpful and productive. Let me guess, you're one of the types looking to cut and run from the union.

21. sold a 64 econoline
    turned in the notice of transfer keept a copy
    2 years later got summoned to court in san bruno by sf had to apply for court
    went back a weak laterjudge gruber was hanging every one there
    my turnhe started on me about $400.00 in parking tickets
    i said dsur i did not owen the vehicle and gave the clurk an original of the bill of sale
    he let me go
    that was 2 days off work
    1 year later i was summened in again
    i wrote a letter to the judge and told him he let me off a year befor
    to court i go
    after telling him the story he had the balif go get the paperwork
    and i was let off again
    then a tow company sent me a bill for $8oo.oo for towing and storage and was going to attack my wages
    this was in la had to go to court again
    then a month later i got a letter from dmv to suspend my licence
    had to prove who i sold the van to
    wages were attached this was for over 4 years back regestration
    back to court again
    this was in 1979 before they were broke

have a nother one
    i sold a truck to a illeagle aleon minor
    this is a realy longe one
    ill stop here

22. i always turn in rhe release of liabilty in person

23. I sold a car in Oregon, the new owner gave the car to his daughter, she was a crack head, ran out of gas and abandon the car. The DMV called and said a towing company had towed my car, and want me to pay the bill or sign off the title. I explained that I had sold the car over a year ago, GAVE them the new buyers info, and left it at that. Another year goes by, I thought that it was dead and gone, but then I receive a notice of lawsuit for failure to pay a tow bill and storage on the car. $2683.00 I flipped! I contacted the towing company, thank God I flagged the title at the point of conversation with the DMV and faught like hell with the towing company about the release of interest. I finally had to go to the guy's house that I sold the car to, (it was a very nice big fancy horse ranch), and threaten him if he didn't pay up I would make sure he lost more than just a few thousand dollars. This went on my credit, which I had to pay to get taken care of, and also had an outstanding debt collection lingering. It took 3 years to get this taken care of, and and finally after a second house call that was not very pleasant, the guy paid up only to find out that the tow company sold the car for a little over 4k! ONE GREAT LESSON LEARNED ALWAYS CONTACT THE DMV WHEN YOU SELL A CAR PERIOD!

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Calm down fellas, I live quite an enjoyable productive life. My comment was just meant as a light hearted joke (youve heard of those before right) in regards to all the whacked out laws you guys have to put up with out in Cali. I think all the bases have been covered you sell a car, you fill out the form and save it for 5 years. Sounds fairly simple, As far as the union comment ???

25. roughneck424

roughneck424

It's a lot simpler than you think. I have shipped ~ 40 cars out of Cali and the Cali DMV is not connected in anyway. It's the Fed's that handle the paperwork. Basically a signed pink slip and some shipping documents and the freight forwarder does that.

26. 62nova

62nova

It's not criminal if the government does it.

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

You always, and I mean always, fill out the release of liability, make a copy of it and take, as in hand carry, it to DMV turn in the original and have them stamp/date the copy. I've sold cars that have come back on me with parking tickets, tows, fines etc. As long as you have that stamp dated copy of the release of liability you're covered.

28. Fenders

Fenders

Every state is different...

In Mass., the seller takes the plates off the car and either turns them in to cancel registration, or transfers them to another car he has.
    He signs and gives the title to the buyer.

The buyer can use his own plates from another car (for 7 days, I think it is) if he is going to transfer those plates to the car he bought. Or he can apply for new plates. In either case he has to turn in the title he got from the seller and apply for a title in his own name. He cannot register the car without applying for his title.

I get the impression that the problem in CA is that the reg plate goes with the car, so the buyer can drive it (and not transfer title to his name if he is lazy). Even so, it looks simple for the seller to protect himself with the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form but note it says it is effective only when the information is recorded by the CA DMV, so do it ASAP.

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

I spent a summer in Palmdale?Lancaster area after my senior year of high school.I was getting ready to head back to K.U. for school when I bought a bigger motorcycle.I sold my KZ650 to a guy I worked with and after I left,I never heard about it again.That was 1982 and in 2003,I get a bill from CA stating that my license in Ks is suspended until I pay 450.00+ for registration violations.Luckily,I save paperwork from everything and was able to get out of it.Scary shit though....

30. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I heart Ca.!!, I've travelled the country and there is no place I would rather live. If I had to relocate it would be Austin Tx, they have the prettiest girls and the best BBQ. but back to CA and the DMV, I just saw their are laying off 1000 more teachers, they are running all small buisinesses out of state and then bitch unemployment is up? I have also sent many vehicles overseas through the years and never had a problem, I know I screwed up by not sending in the release but it just the fact of how they handle it? Once again "guilty until proven innocent"