Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thunderbolt coil springs???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65 T-BOLT, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

I have a 65 fairlane with the T-BOLT look. Currently using small block springs....headers darn near drag mother earth. Which spring can I use to raise the front? Who has the best price? Would mustang springs work? What did DST use in 1964? Thanks Jason

2. terryr

terryr
    from earth

If they are the original springs then they probably have sagged.

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

A Fairlane weighs more than an Mustang, dosen't it? Try looking at Galaxie springs, maybe they would fit. Or replace yours with new station wagon models for a 65. I think those are a bit stiffer than normal. I had a 64 and the springs were very light on it for what it was. Lots of body roll etc.

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

...Tell us more about yout 65 T-Bolt wanna be

CBurne7 likes this.

5. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

I love the Thunderbolts! It started years ago, a good friend.. Wayne Conover ( I believe he was once president of the FCA). Got me into these cars....20+ years ago. Since I cannot afford the real thing....I found a 65 when I was 18...now I am 40....Wayne told me the was one..possibly two 65 T-BOLTS made...but he was leaning more toward one. he said it was the same car....Drokes car, and the Harvey ford car....west coast/east coast...But I am really going off of memory!
    So my ride started out as a 289 3spd sedan with factory installed air, bought it from the original owners 78k on it dark green/ivy gold interior....gross! It went thru a series of engine combos...including a 427 windsor that went 10.50 @ 124.68 mph in the 1/4 normally aspirated. The car was back halfed with a 30x13.5 tire... with foxbody Mustang aftermarket coilover struts up front. Then I just had to have a big block 385 series, found one on Ebay in Kansas...I won the auction! so the 427 came out and the 521 with a blue thunder 8v intake and two 660 holleys. The first outing ran great...went a 10.64 @ 122mph spinning and no tuning...third pass lost oil pressure!, this engine came out and a basically stock 460 from a 70 lincoln went in...stealth intake 850 holley and a 268 comp cam....went 11.70 @ 118 spraying 2nd gear only....no bottle pressure....this brings me to pressent day
    The car has been cut apart to redo the chassis...was gonna go awb/strait axle...but a 65 Fairlane I just don't think would look right. the 521 has been rebuilt with a single dominator carb a bigger roller cam...still pump gas! So now I will redo the chassis for street/strip...(some day I will want to drive this on the street). all new rails bumper to bumper, moly cage, 390x45x15 drag radial,the 521(would like to go with the Hilborn stack injection...but for 6200/7000 thats a lot of coin)....anywho the car in my avatar is the car I am talking about.....Oh...the stock 460 went into a 65 Fairlane hardtop that I had sitting around...thats what I need the springs for!

6. David Chandler

David Chandler

They used to sell "load leveler" shocks. This was a regular shock with a small external coil spring on the outside. If I remember right the fronts addded 250 lbs to the spring rate, and the rear were something close to 500 lbs. I bought some rear ones from NAPA about 10 years ago for a Nova. But I have no idea if they still sell them.
    If you are creative, perhaps you could figure a way to put some sort of air shock there, or an air bag inside of your current spring. Then you could "fine tune" it with air pressure.
    Also back in the day some people used spacers between the coils to gain lift. I tried them once, but was not impressed at all. But I can recall more than one Mustang that snapped the front shock off when it went beyond it's normal travel range. So they did work.

7. 39Dodge

39Dodge

I have had good luck with Eaton Detroit Spring in Michigan, they can build it for you however you want.

8. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Eaton Spring Co in Michigan made custom springs for my 62 Fairlane. Good prices!

9. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The T-Bolt originally used #1765 load front springs, nothing special, and which is probably what you already have. No advantage to station wagon springs, same rate or lower.

Eaton in Detroit is good place to go. Bought quite a few sets of rear leafs there.

Regards,
    Dennis

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Sounds like a bad ass ride. There was ONE 65 T-Bolt. You were correct DRokes car and later Jerry Harvey. Droke used " Cure Ride " shocks back then. There is a gray 65 Straight Axle car in AZ. I will try and find a pic. It looks Killer. Any more pictures of your car.

11. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

I do have more pictures in photobucket!...how would I link it to here?

12. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Open your photobucket.put your mouse arrow over the photo and a list of options will open underneath. The bottom option has text in a box that starts with . left click that option and the text will change to 'copied.' then come back here, left click, then righ click and hit 'paste.'

Couldn't be easier.

As far as air springs go, look at the Air Lift helper springs, i picked up a set from summit. They're designed to go inside the coil, so if your shock is inside the coil then it won't work, but if the air spring will fit then you're golden.

13. OK not what you want to hear but maybe you should try big block springs?

You may also look at Jamco for heavier rate springs for it. if you don't know what will fit call them they will know what will fit.

14. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

Big block springs??? which car??? should i buy them for? big blocks were not an option then

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yep cure rides were the thing back in teh day
    [​IMG]

16. X2
    and my 67 Ranchero...

17. Try Galaxie or Comet or . . . they were obviously offered if they made a Bolt in '65. But I would just about bet that Galaxie springs will fit.

18. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

I am talikng with Eaton on there forum

19. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

trying to post pictures, but they come out way to big!

20. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

still waiting on Eaton to release my question on there forum!

21. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Why don't you use shorter headers? Plenty of "shortys" out there..or build a set that fits your car's stance and clears. Raising the front only takes away top end speed and handling.

M.

Spacer under the spring at the top with a retainer ring and longer shocks?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Galaxie and Comet springs will not work. The 62-65 Fairlane springs are larger diameter and much taller.

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

T-Bolt............CK out Sanderson Headers part # FF6 I think. Search on here. Guy with a 65 just used them. They are a new item

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

^^^^ These are for SBF sorry

25. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

I could use shortys but with that nasty old steering box in the way...even manifolds will not fit! and the car is a driver, so top end speed is not of concern, besides...there are a lot of strait axle cars out there.

26. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

just got something back from Eaton Springs!!! that company is a freaking joke! they told me $625.00 plus shipping...they would have to custom make springs for my application...I told them they could kiss my ass!

27. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

www.ESPO.com....they want 90.00 plus shipping...which more than likely is a new set of stck springs

28. tbolt

tbolt

i have a new set of crites big block t-bolt springs and im looking for a set of small block for im running a stroker windsor not a big block crites sells the big block spring for around 365.00 a set my email is [email protected]

29. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

So whats going on with this car. Updates ??