Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone know how to convert a 30's mopar straight axle to disc brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellsgaterods, Mar 16, 2011.

1. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I searched for info. On this subject and couldnt find anything. Does anyone know what is needed to switch a 30's plymouth smiley axle over to disc brakes, or does anyone make the parts to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Guy's name is Charlie, good guy. He recently told me he is working on a set for the early Mopar straight axle. Hope this helps. GA

http://www.rustyhope.com/

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Second on Charlie being a good guy.

If you can't wait, I think your only option would be to look at the options for other cars (Ford especially) and see if something similar would work, but it would be very much a do-it-yourself and figure-it-yourself task. You could probably adapt a kit, or roll your own. Check out the tech week thread on adding disc brakes to an early falcon: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568805 - the principles are the same, find common parts and a kit to help with raw materials, then adapt them to your needs.

4. designs that work

designs that work

I have a Dodge smilley axel and there are a couple of ways to adapt disc brakes. Do a search here. That being said the most talked about is using early Ford, 1941 to 1948 spindles, the king pins diameter is different, Ford being larger. If you have a friend with a mill the kingpin holes on the axle can be bored out. You can also use a reamer, the same one you will need to bore out your new bushings in the spindles. If the camber is not correct, a truck front end shop can adjust, bend, the axle.

5. filthy frank

filthy frank

plydo has a kit, but you can do it yourself , find some rotors, calipers, and make your own brackets,mich the bearings, and the spindle, and have a sleeve made up, simple !im going the other route and im adapting buick backing plates and drums onto the mopar tube axle, no need to use ford parts.

6. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i have an email to plydo, we'll see what they say. thanks guys i appreciate the leads. dan

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I put a Plydo kit on my '36 Dodge 5 years ago, and plumbed into the original master cylinder, as truck was still stock then. Re-drilled the stock artillery wheels to fit the Camaro rotors. Stopped great!

8. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i tried plydo, no answer on phone number he has, and email just gets sent back to me with errors. does he still exist? anyone have good contact info. for him?

9. filthy frank

filthy frank

10. verde742

verde742

i got one fer sale, $150.00 its in wash. I am here till july 15th in az. Call me in july, if you don't find one, i have axle, tie rod, disc, set up..

Bob 602-617-3559 if you can wait.......

11. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

thats the number, no answer

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

13. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

not yet ,but i will, thanks

14. Master power makes a disk brake conversion, but its a bit spendy. You have to send them your spindles to be modified. I wouldnt mind finding out what thay do to them.

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The guy that owned plydo passed away about 3 or so years ago....since then contact through any means with the company is hit and miss. The family doesn't seem to put the effort into it like the old man did, maybe they all got day jobs?:)