Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sheetmetal Help #2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iammarvin, Mar 16, 2011.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Need help on trying to blend the 28-29 beltline and the 30-31. Was thinking of welding a steel rod to the bottom of the 28-29 beltline and then blending it to match the 30-31. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

3. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Since it's such a short length for the lower one, I'd be tempted to just cut it, move it up the quarter-inch or so, and weld it back in. That seems easier than lowering the line on the rest of the body. (Unless I'm not understanding your question?)

5. If you want a transition from one to the other over a specific distance, you could make a wooden hammer form with 28-29 on one end and 30-31 on the other and blend the two together in the middle.

Bead roll new belt line piece.
    Can also do new belt line in a brake with experimenting. Bend it then pull it back by hand gets really close.

6. oj

oj

Manoman, theres an offset at the top as well right? What about the cowl, does it mate to the beltline coming across the door? I think i would let it go as is. Some creative pinstrip detail can draw attention away. To make it proper is going to take some very timeconsuming and fussy sheetmetal work and welding and dpending on your skill, a lot of body filler. That is one of those things where the fix is worse than the problem.

7. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The top one I thought I would blend with a curve when I make a filler piece for that big gap. The bottom one? The cowl is 28-29 roadster pickup.

8. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

A hammer and dolly, no welding. Use a door skin hammer, a cross peen hammer, and a coma dolly. Take your time, and layout the new beltline first, so you have a guide to work to. I would also grind out your weld at the bottom of the belt, so that the metal will move without ripping at the weld.
    Just my 2c
    Jeffrey

9. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Made a patch and welded it in.
    [​IMG]

10. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca