Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Johnny Dark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

How neat would it be to build a little glass 50's roadster like that?!

3. jguff

jguff

Some other neat cars in the race. I spotted a Kaiser Darrin, a Muntz Jet and a cuople of Jag XK 120's.

Jerome

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Always loved that movie! They used to play it on both TMC and AMC back when those two were permanent background noise in my home. All the fifties fiberglass roadsters and of course PIPER did it for me big time. Then one day I ran into a friend of a friend that had a weird fiberglass roadster that had been built for some big movie in the fifities, but no one knew which one...

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Once you're used to 2 (or 3 ) monitors, its hard to go back to "just" one.

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I have three little letters for you...C P A. Worth every penny I pay them to never have to do our taxes ever again. With the wife's business, my work, kids, house, investments, blah blah...they keep it all straight, find all the deductions and loses we are due and get the most money back possible. Again, worth every penny.

7. Taxes done weeks ago thanks to Carla. We almost came out even, perfect!

Thanks for the tip on the movie, will watch it this week. Been getting into TV and movies online since we have no TV at the ranch.

8. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I know what you mean. Just need to find a little time......

[​IMG]

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Johnny Dark was a pretty famous local radio disc jockey on a local R&R station.

10. belair

belair

Aaaaaamen.

11. RDR

RDR

haven't seen it since I was a kid and seem to remember a part when they were at the dinner table, talking about building the car, and took a potato put tooth picks and stuck some wheels on it ..."Idaho Spud"....will have to watch it again to make sure I didn't just dream that..?

12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

13. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Right ! I spotted those in the clip too...as well as the Wildfire. Great Preview !! (The narrator /voice over talent of the Preview was Art Gilmore...a super pro.)

My Dad took me to see this movie years ago when I was in grade school. We saw it at the Fox Theatre here in St. Louis. Always l-o-v-e-d Piper Laurie ! She sent me an autographed photo back at that time but, sadly, it got lost through the years. (She did about 3 pix with Curtis.)

I remembered Don Taylor from "Stalag 17".

I can't believe that Brock Yates, who I've always thought was an excellent journalist, DID NOT say the name of the Wildfire, OR, its creator correctly ! It's not the WOODHILL WILDFIRE...it's the WOODILL WILDFIRE, created by "Woody" Woodill who owned dealerships in California. In fact, here's a cool link to enjoy from the "You Asked For It" TV Show: http://www.woodillwildfire.com/multimedia.html

Thanks for bringing back these memories Ryan ! I know the pic below will bring back the memory of how good Piper looked at that time.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

[​IMG]

15. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Gang...

Glad Ryan enjoyed the movie.

When it was released in 1954, it was the most expensive sports car movie filmed to date - with "A" level movies stars (Tony Curtis, Piper Laurie, Don Taylor, and others) in it as well.

It was a top shelf effort and no expense was spared. Here's a link to a series of stories directly related to or somewhat related to the Johnny Dark movie on our website:

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?cat=60

Hope you enjoy...

Geoff Hacker
    www.forgottenfiberglass.com

16. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Johnnie King..

Another mis-step by Brock Yates....he showed the Victress S1 but called it a "Glasspar".

Not a big deal, because so few people know the true names of these cars. I was honored he mentioned any of the cars by name at all :)

Geoff Hacker
    www.forgottenfiberglass.com

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I gotta see this movie! Thanks for the heads-up Ryan!

18. Filing taxes is great fun....

...if you're getting some back. :D

But then my taxes aren't terribly difficult to figure out.

19. autobilly

autobilly

Looks very cool, does anyone know were we can get a copy?

20. PG

PG

Wow, would have never known that this movie existed unless you had posted it. Love the trailer and will have to watch it soon!

21. VespaJay

VespaJay

I've always wanted to see "Johnny Dark", it sounds like "The Lively Set" was sort of a remake.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

One of my alltime favorites.

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vivacious, indeed! Action sequences look way above par for the era, will have to check it out. Was not on my radar screen . . . thanks.

24. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Wow...thanks for this post...will have to get a copy of this movie...looks like a lot of fun and has great photography...beautiful!

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the cars that was used in the Movie was setting in Wichita , Ks. in a business lobby along with The Spirit of America land speed car and a racing cloth fuselage and aluminum winged airplane.

26. zomb1e

zomb1e

thanks for posting this! love the glass!

27. philo426

philo426

"Grahm motors didn't do right by Johnny Dark"!

28. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  29. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Johnny Dark

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Johnny Dark Review: Published in New York Times, June 26th, 1954:

RIGHTLY assuming that a good many auto passengers also are driving addicts, Universal has put together a mild but rather pleasant little picture called "Johnny Dark." Featuring Tony Curtis, Piper Laurie and Don Taylor, the Palace's newest vaudeville partner remains about as obvious and unstartling as a typical speedway poster, with the same superficial attractiveness.

The plot, in a nutshell, has a bright young engineer, Mr. Curtis, launching his own speed model, winning a Canada-to-Mexico race and the granddaughter of the boss. Not for a minute will anybody doubt his success on all three counts, abetted and opposed, in turn, by the smitten Miss Laurie and his pal, Mr. Taylor. What really sets and sustains the tone of the picture, however, is the familiar, seasoned amiability of Paul Kelly, Sidney Blackmer and Ilka Chase, standing by.

Better still, the goings-on at the Fielding Motor Company, where all six work, hold some tastily authentic shots behind the automobile assembly line. The excellent Technicolor of William Alland's production is even more enhancing to the climactic race, a full-throttle but standard one. Credit the photographer, nevertheless, for some extremely effective hairbreadth coverage from a helicopter, judging by the shadow.

Pictorially, for that matter, the clean, scrubbed looks of the star trio are no less appealing throughout. Likewise their behavior. Their personal drama, as written by Franklin Coen, just isn't particularly interesting. But under George Sherman's casually good-natured direction, the youngsters and their elders make up some pleasant, uncomplicated people, cheerfully doing what they relish. And no harm done.

JOHNNY DARK, written by Franklin Coen, directed by George Sherman; produced by William Alland for Universal-International.

Johnny Dark . . . . . Tony Curtis
    Liz Fielding . . . . . Piper Laurie
    Duke Benson . . . . . Don Taylor
    Scotty . . . . . Paul Kelly
    Fielding . . . . . Sidney Blackmer
    Abble . . . . . Ilka Chase
    Miss Border-to-Border . . . . . Ruth Hampton

Running Time: 79 minutes