Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering a glass bodied car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EdwinUSMC, Mar 16, 2011.

1. EdwinUSMC

EdwinUSMC
    from Des Moines

I was wondering where I could find information on registering a glass bodied car in the state of Iowa. I read the DOT website on custom cars, but that requires an inspection. I was wondering if there was any way to get around that because the car is in California (I'm stationed there in the military) so taking it back home just to register it would be unreasonable. If I were able to find a clean title is that all I'd need?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. EdwinUSMC

EdwinUSMC
    from Des Moines

Well I bought the body itself after my 2009 deployment. The frame is an original 34 frame, was my uncles, he took the body off and put a custom frame underneath it.

I didn't get a bill of sale with the body, and I have no idea how to even go about getting ahold of the guy I bought it from. It was something he bought for a project, didn't end up using, and sold to me on ebay.

4. Larry T

Larry T

If you were in Texas, I think you could register the car by the frame numbers. But I'm assuming that your uncles car is still registered by those numbers, so........ it kinda sounds like a can of worms.

To answer your question, I think most registrations from cars bought out of state or "special construction" have to have an inspection.
    Larry T

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The frame is an original 34 frame, was my uncles," then the frame has a number stamped on it and your uncle can give you a bill of sale. BUT did he use the number stamped on the original frame for the title to his car? If so, the number on the original frame is useless to you. see this thread also:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567912

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well on a glass body, I'd say a bill of sale is a bill of sale. It wouldn't really matter a lot who signed it.

Sold to_______________ One Fiberglass replica 1934 Ford Body shell. Body shell only as is where is.
    Originally manufactured by ____________ _______________ (if known).

Signed_____________________
    Dated________________________

You don't really need anything more than that on the body. It's pretty obvious that it is a reproduction and didn't actually come off a steel bodied car somewhere.

I'm one of the rare ones that doesn't pee on my shoes just because the fiberglass car I built/have has an assembled vehicle title on it rather than being titled as what it appears to be which in your case would be a 34 Ford. I mean what the hell, It's a fiberglass bodied hot rod who gives a rip what the title says. I had an assembled vehicle title on my steel bodied T bucket in Texas 40 years ago and it didn't bother me then and wouldn't bother me now. I know that there are guys who are anal about having the body titled as what it appears to look like but that's their problem.
    I'd rather have a legal inspected fiberglass bodied hot rod with a clear assembled vehicle title on it than drive around with a bogus title that I bought from someone and hope that I never get stopped and the thing doesn't get inspected that close.