Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone setup to make custom leaf springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Feb 3, 2010.

1. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

I need to get a full set of custom springs made up for a speedster project. Very tricky at the leafs are tapered along the length from the center out to the ends. I have attached a few pics...2 of the front and one of the rear. If you can do it or know anyone, please get in touch.

Thanks -

Front Spring.jpg

Front Spring Eye.jpg

rear crossmember closeup.jpg

2. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

3. A possibility might be Eaton Spring in Detroit Michigan 313-963-6820. They say if they don't have it they will make it. May be worth a try. Good luck!

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i used to work at a spring shop for a few years. AB Spring in Grand Rapids Michigan. we made alot of springs including one offs and custom stuff. dont have the number off hand but Google or yellow page search it. ask for Charlie Bidgood or Bob Bessey. Charlie is a mechanical genius and has spent a lifetime in the suspension field. Bob is the boss and they are both car nuts. tell em Mike sent ya.

5. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

You could check City Spring in OKC, OK. Google them

6. I'll second that. I'll be heading there in a few weeks to get some custom coils made for my Model A. They cater to our type of cars.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Detroit Eaton are absolutely terrible in my experience - here's the brand new springs they made for me, on the basis that they claimed to have the original factory data. I asked for stock length and width springs, de-arched 2 inches. See photos for what they produced. They refused to fix the problem - the springs are too long for the application and went immediately into negative arch. Mike Eaton said "the springs don't care which way they arch", so I asked him about suspension travel and explained that with his springs the axle was resting on the bump stops:confused::confused::confused:! I e-mailed him the photos and I returned the springs. He flat out refused to refund my money. All he offered to do was re-arch the springs - just how is that meant to fix the problem that they are simply too long??? He has my springs and has had my money since 2005 - $675 plus shipping costs both ways. Buyer beware - this guy is the worst I have ever come across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. storm king

storm king

Eaton will do a set of one-offs for you, and do them right. Tulsa spring and axle is a little closer than OKC, and they do good work as well.
    If it were me, I'd go straight to Eaton. Let me know if you need a contact name for them, I met one of their reps at the Street Rod Nats a couple ouf years ago.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Eaton is a great place. They make all kinds of one off stuff. Custom main leaf was $100. Custom length U bolts for me also. I'm only about 7-8 miles from their place. Right near the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit on Michigan Ave.

10. Betts Spring can make custom springs as well. I used them as a supplier when I was working for a truck suspension supplier. We used the Santa Fe Springs, CA location. Ruben is a real good guy to work with.

www.bettsspring.com

Betts Spring - Santa Fe Springs
    9315 Santa Fe Springs Rd.
    Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
    Phone: (562) 941-2300
    Fax: (562) 941-2260
    Toll-Free: (800) 541-5613
    Branch Manager: Ruben Gutierrez

11. Weasel

Weasel

After I fitted the springs Eaton made and saw how they behaved (see photos in my post above), I trailered the car with the Eaton springs to Deaver Spring - www.deaverspring.com who took one look at the, asked "where did you get those? The free arch and length is all wrong - those are completely screwed up." I told them and they said "Oh yeah, I am not surprised - we get to fix a lot of their stuff". Deaver Spring have been making springs since 1875 and so I figured they should know what they are talking about. Then, after I had shipped the Eaton Springs back to Detroit and Mike Eaton had refused to replace the incorrect spring with correct length and arched springs as oriiginally specified and refused flat out to refund my money, I took my original springs to Deaver, who added a couple of leaves, de-arched them, repacked and rebushed them for under $200 and they worked perfectly. Deaver has since always done wonderful work for me and they do a lot of offroad springs and customs, supplying many name companies.

Detroit Eaton - happy to keep my money and keep the product but not willing to fix the problem on the product that they made. There are plenty of reputable spring manufacturers around - in my book Detroit Eaton are not one of them. Knowing that, it's your call.....

12. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

Thanks a ton guys - I will make a few calls.

13. 41fastback

41fastback

I take it you didn't have any luck with local shops? Albany Spring or maybe Watkins Spring?

14. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

They couldn't handle the tapered leafs and the offset eyelit - also didn't seem like they wanted to deal with it...

15. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Gary at Deaver Spring Rules
    www.deaverspring.com
    enough said

16. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Are you scratch building a Type 35 Bugatti?!?!

17. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

+1 for St. Louis Springs, they gave me a great price on a set they made for me

18. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Good to know, but, what type of car are you working on. I can't seem to figure out how to go about lowering my 1948 Chevy bomb. It seems that the de-arched spring will hit the bump stop on my car too.

Also, is that Deaver place here in Cali??