Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build Thread: Kustom Chopped 41 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombiesarebad, Sep 19, 2009.

1. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

coolness. I've also been looking into the 472/500 cadillac. I think a big lux motor might also be really cool for this car...

2. farmer12

farmer12

Have a chat to BettyBlue here on the Hamb. He's just put a 429 Caddy in his 41 Plymouth, he can certainly provide some more info. Good luck and keep them pics coming!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

hi guys, it's been a while since i've been here. Just came out of hibernation today and did a little tinkering out in the garage. Strange how the weather really effects my level of motivation...

just a quick question while i'm here... does anyone know what kind of headlights those are on the orange Plymouth @ Hunnert (linked to on pg. 3 of this thread)?

4. thinkfink

thinkfink

'39 Lincoln zephyr maybe, but not sure...

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Small bock Mopar fits best. 360 stroked to 408 gives an easy 400hp. But BBM is ok if you don't mind steering column work.

Caddy may be too wide? I'd like to know too, I like the idea of 500 hp & 500 ft/lbs. A BBM 400 or 440 stroker kit costs the same as a standard rebuild kit, well in the same ballpark at least.

Up-and-over drivers side exhaust manifold or custom headers, to clear steering column, is needed, early 273 Dart manifolds were made that way. Look into Cavalier rack & pinion conversions too.

6. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

good food for thought. I don't know if the Camaro stub I'm using will make clearance issues easier or harder to resolve, but after mulling it over for the last few months I'm now leaning more toward big block mopar. Ideally a 413.

7. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

also considering selling or trading for something else once the chop is complete.

I want something that can be roadworthy sooner than this will be! I'd entertain any offers...

8. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Just found this post today. Great looking work. Just curious, do you recall how much you chopped the front and back?

9. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

yep! Front and back are both chopped 4".

10. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Cool thanks, I'm picking up a 41' ply project and your pics are very helpful.

11. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

congrats! Send some pictures my way once you get it

12. jbh

jbh

Dug my 40 out from a 15+ year nap last week. Just found this thread yesterday. Two inch chop, laid the back window down. Caddy Fire Frost Red.

Attached Files:

13. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

that's a good looking machine. I've always thought the '40 grilles looked better than the '41s.

14. THats interesting to know. I was messing with your grille earlier (from the pic on the PS thread), but didn´t really get anywhere, except for deciding that 40 Willys headlights are a Very Good Idea. The vertical grille idea is fine and all, but all those cars (Packards, LaSalles, etc) have side grilles also. Makes it seem a bit redundant. Difficult to do too. Personally I like the `41 grille - aside from the fact that they´ve split it with the V shaped trim. I suppose it comes down to what kind of look you are after for the car (early Kustom I suppose?) and what´s going to work. I could suggest a `40 Studebaker grille, but first you´d have to find one and second, it might not fit! I think it´d look good though.

15. hope ya sold the wide wheels and tires for music equipment ...:)

slant 6 engine 3 carbs ...split exhaust 3spd
    a sleds a sled .....with a buzzsaw exaust..

so the widened rear fenders is not needed now
    with -with out skirts is okay too

rear bumper - split front bumpers
    check the new tech thread info on bumperette tail lites

37-38-39- ford headlites

or hideaways like CORD

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  16. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see you're back working on the car again!

17. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

hey, thanks for giving it a shot. Everyone says they like the '41 Plymouth grille but to me it looks like a :). I like cars that look :mad:. :cool: is cool too.

i have the feeling that customizing the front of this car is going to be a challenge, but I really like your '40 Studebaker grille idea. I should look into that...

18. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

just a little update.

the chop's almost done, I'll get some pictures up soon. I've decided on a 413 engine, I think that vibe suits the car well... now I just have to find one. The jury's still out on 4 speed vs automatic. I'll also probably be doing away with the big fat wheels & tires in favor of something better looking.

btw I rediscovered the Fred Cain '40 (featured in the thread "East Coast 40") and I have a feeling that car will be influencing this build quite a bit. I love the all-business scrapper look... We'll see what happens.

19. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Someone say Studebaker...???

Oh, they're out there...here's mine...

[​IMG]

However, this is a '40 Commander ...a '40 Champion has an entirely different grille. The '39 Commanders have a similar grille to my '40...and I do have a pair of either grilles, for a nominal fee, if you are interested...!!! But, since JamesD didn't say which grille he thot would be correct for the Plym, I'm offering a pic of mine.

R-

21. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Updates? Did you ever get it painted Maroon?

22. Valtin

Valtin

I dropped a BBM in my 41 Plymouth. If I did it again I would keep it stock. I over built the motor so it will be less practical to drive regularly. It will be a blast light to light.

23. thinkfink

thinkfink

The 41 grille can look like a smiley, totally get the point.
    That's why I left out the filler trim in the grill, after seeing it on a Japanese '41 coupe.
    Still looks like a big mouthed fish, but better that, than a smiley with braces.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. thinkfink

thinkfink

frontal

Attached Files: