Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power steering issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StanDaManTX, Mar 13, 2011.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Ok guys, a big thanks to DROCK6570 for coming down to Houston and getting my butt in gear to finish my steering. He drove out from Austin, laid under the car all day and Drove back that night. Helluva guy. Anyway My 63 Mercury steers like a dream until all of the fluid leaks out lol. It seems that it is leaking from every hose fitting. Now, we put it all back together made sure the hoses were seated and torqued em down and they still leak. I'm curious if there should be some o-rings on the hose fittings or if we should have used teflon tape or what? Anyone put 60s ford power steering together lately that could give me some suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I'm no expert but don't the lines have flared fittings? If so then the flare is all you need to seal it. Do not use teflon tape on a flared fitting either brake or steering. Make sure both the hose and the fitting it goes into are squeaky clean. Dirt can not cause a good seal. Other than that if they are torqued properly they shouldn't leak.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Should be flared fittings, should not leak if they're clean, not damaged, and properly tightened (use a flare wrench).

Are the hoses new or old or what? how about the valve and ram?

4. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

All parts, fittings, hoses, everything is brand new or factory rebuilt and we used a flare wrench

5. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Ok guys, The issue is solved. Although They have flared fittings, THEY NEEDED ORINGS! I know it sounds crazy. After cleaning up, I found a bag of unopened orings with a small diagram of how to install them onto the hydraulic hoses. I guess DROCK and I overlooked them. So I took the hoses loose, slipped them on and wouldn't you know it, no more leaks! Now I bought these hoses from MACS auto parts, they may be a new design, but I am pretty sure that the o-rings were in The Control valve box. I dont know, its a mystery. If I hadnt been cleaning the Garage I wouldnt have found the Diagram. Oh well, my power steering doesnt leak!! woohoo

6. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting. you didn't take pictures did you?

7. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Here's a partial I got of the diagram, It had 3 other orientations on it as well with different fitting ends.
    [​IMG]

And here is what I actually did with the o-rings. They are sandwhiched between the flare and the screw.
    [​IMG]