Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identify this Master Cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Mar 14, 2011.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Hey fellas, I bought a '55 F100 a few weeks ago. It has a 390, C6 and power steering. I drove it home that night, but like any project there's always more to it than expected.

No problems driving it home, but when I got there my dad wanted to take it for a ride. When he came back the brake pedal was on the floor, no pressure at all.

I've done the typical brake troubleshooting with so-so results (wouldn't let my wife take it to the store), but before I go any further I want to identify this MC. I have no clue what it is or where it came from. It is a single, non-boosted MC, duh. The cap on top is plastic, about 2 1/2" to 3" in diameter.

If I can determine that it is a good match (volume and pressure) for the stock brakes I'll consider keeping it. If not I'll switch to a dual MC under the floor.

Anyone recognize this sucker?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• MC1.JPG
      MC1.JPG
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
  2. 53mercury

53mercury

If your going to drive it go with the dual. Looks like early sixty's ford, but I don't recall seeing any with a plastic cap. Any #'s ? It's probably a reman. Mike

3. daddio211

daddio211

DAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNN! Three minutes to a great reply with PICTURES! Skeezix, thank you very much! I think you're right on the money!

Would anyone venture to guess if this would be a good/decent/shitty MC for the stock F100 brakes?

4. daddio211

daddio211

Wait, no, mine appears different where the pressure line is attached to a fitting pointing 45* up and the Mustang you listed points 45* down. We're DEFINITELY on the right track though.

5. daddio211

daddio211

53 Mercury, yes, if I replace it I will only do so with a dual MC. I tend to try to fix what's there first. Once I get it working perfectly then I tear it all apart and start over and give myself an all new set of problems! :)

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

7. daddio211

daddio211

I guess if it would stop a Galaxie it should stop my effie just fine. I won't be pulling any trailers with it. :D

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

looks like a stock Ford Master Cyl

9. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

stock ones had metal covers.;)

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

11. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for your help guys!

Since you're all so damn good at this I'd like you to take a look at this rash.... :D

12. pauls fords

pauls fords

Dude......man use a dual master with a porportioning valve so if you loose a line or hose you will still have some sort of braking power,,,,,the worst surprise is when the pedal goes all the way to the floor at 60mph.....

13. daddio211

daddio211

You know Paul, its never scared me because I've never owned a car with a single MC. Maybe I'll rethink this and just do a dual, rather than screwing with the single at all.

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

^^^Ask me how I knew which culprit (cough cough) I mean master cylinder this was!:rolleyes:

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The only time iv had a brake line failure was 35 years ago w my second car a 67 chevy w duel master and I still crashed
    Single ones are fine if you pay attention to your stuff ….. It always gives you a warning.

Plastic cap are how the new ones come.

16. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I still have nightmares about that!!!
    Go with the dual. Inspect/replace every inch of metal and rubber line, and tune everything out properly.

17. Make it dual many of us geeks have lost a single pot and had close calls, good story if you don't f up yourself someone else or make lots of body work.

Had a hard line go on grandmas car s 14 de soto and Oy what a fright

18. The Master Cylinder should be a Bendix unit, made for a 1966 Ford Pickup. I had the exact master cylinder on my 66 Ford F-250.
    I still see this same master cylinder today being used on boat trailer actuators. I purchase them from my local trailer supply house. Here is the part number DICO #1027100.

19. daddio211

daddio211

Man, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all of your help! Can anyone recommend a good dual MC replacement for this single? Although I'm not in love with the hanging pedal I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

Bending up new hard line and replacing rubber lines is no problem, I have the tools, fittings and spare line from my last build, but the "throw" of the push rod always has me concerned. I don't want to over extend the shaft, if thats even possible.

Hey there Slick, I think we're up for a story!

20. i would think you could go to a later mustang ('67 or so), unless you have a stash of f100 parts stick with the swing pedal. here's a dual mustang on mine:

Attached Files: