Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone hardwire a novi GPS in their rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Mar 14, 2011.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I am thinking of installing a gps in my hot rod. I do a lot of driving in my car and have found the gps to be a great tool. I'm thinking of adding it to my console and was wondering about how to hard wire it. The one I have has the cigarette lighter power lead. I know what some are thinking, a GPS in a hot rod?????? I'm old and need all the help I can get locating garage sales and swap meets, I put it on the wndshield now and that is fugley.

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would assume, it would just need a power wire and a ground. Finding a receptacle for all of the pins could be the problem. You could cut off the cigarette lighter power plug and use that?

3. Should be pretty easy to hard wire. You will only have two wires, a ground and a hot. The ground connects to the outside of the plug and the hot runs to the center of the plug.

I don't really need one yet but I can see them being good and bad. The good is that it makes it easier to find your way but the bad is that it makes it easier to track you as well as your speed while you are getting to where you want to go. Eventually they will use them for monitoring speed if they already aren't doing it. I know that kansas City was using the GPS function in peoples telephones to do traffic studies. I have a tendency to travel too fast when out in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't want to travel too fast and get a ticket in the mail. :D:D:D

4. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I didn't know about the the tracking aspect of a GPS. I normally don't exceed the listed speed limit by more than 5 mph, seems to be OK by most cops, Errors in speedo, etc. However, I get there quite quickly......

5. slepe67

slepe67

I was thinking about my dream custom ('50 Hudson-hey, it was free) yesterday and thought of this. I was thinking of hardwiring it in the dash. I thought of Ryans post on how he mounted an iPod in his dash. The idea would be to have the dash fold down and slide out. The iPod/GPS pops up automatically. When you shut the car off, simply slide the dash panel back in and everything is out of sight. Looks 100% original. I'm guessing here, but I bet a lot of GOOD custom stereo installation shops might be able to help out with the bracketry and "pop-up" installation.

Just thinking out loud, let us know what you come up with. JL

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Just to take your thread off track some, I have even given this a little thought of using a GPS thing in the old cars. I wouldn't need to if they did not start writing the maps in the atlas with such small print. There is no way that I can see that stuff now. It is either carry glasses or take Tom Tom along for a ride.

Neal

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Neal,

Try one of these;

[​IMG]

9. aeropaw

aeropaw
    from McDonald

I just got back from Memphis last night. I set the cruise control at six miles over the posted and only stopped twice for a total of 8 min.I got home 16 minutes ahead of tom toms eta. so I say run the posted or 6 over and install the gps. the only thing I would check first is that the gps signal wasn't blocked by something in the console before I started cutting. I will install one in my next project (looking like dad's old vette is next). I also got onto the internet and downloaded Karl from slingblade as my navigator, I laughed all the way there and back.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My gps stays folded up in the glovebox.....no wiring needed.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

X2....

Wiring up a GPS in an old car just seems so wrong.....

It's all about the journey......and getting lost is traditional and part of the fun.:D

12. I have had a lot more fun lost in my life than I ever had when I knew where I was going. If I just have a general idea where it is I want to go I normally just head in that direction. But I do understand the security of knowing where and how to reach your final destination.

Guys have been using GPS devises as speedos for a long time. I won't say much more than that because it even makes me think I'm being hinky.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If you wanna get lost buy a tom tom..we got one for the work truck while back and it loved to give all sorts of roundabout directions. Sold it and went back to the good ol mapsco...besides when I get in my old car and cruise the last thing I need is some braud giving me directions.:cool:

14. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I have been making satellite radio kits for motorcycles. also GPS to bikes. make sure that the cigarette lighter adapter passes 12 volts through before you wire it direct some have a voltage reducer to approx 5 volts. but if yours in fact runs on 12 you should be able to wire direct. I am planning on using a GPS as speedo on my track T it is much more accurate than conventional speedos!

15. my gps runs off of 5 volts
    i am going to wire up a lighter in my model a and run it dirrectly off the 6 volt gen.
    it has been done before, and this is the place that gave me the idea
    i am not using it for dirrections i am using it for accurate speeds. big tires stock spedo gears and such kind of make the original speedo off alot
    tk

16. pinman 39

pinman 39

Auto parts stores sell a port you can wire in around 10-15 range .
    Are they Traditional ?
    Don't mount it to the inside of your windsheild could get you kicked out of here ! Ha Ha !

17. If you can update a GPS from the USB port on a computer, you can be sure it runs on 5V DC.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nothing I own has a working speedo.....

I use a funny looking gauge called a TACH........:D

19. thats what i was thinking
    tk

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks. Will find one. It is time for a new atlas anyway.

Neal

21. I've actually quit putting speedos in mine. The wife said they take up too much room in the dash and I don't ever use one anyway. I hate it when she's right.

22. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

23. phat rat

phat rat

I put an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug under the seat. This lets me charge my MP3, cell phone and GPS. Is there a flat spot on the dash besides on top? If so put it there or on the console using a suction cup mount. Then when you get to your destination you can take it off and put it away out of sight.

24. slepe67

slepe67

hahaha I can only imagine....PLEASE post that link!

25. I read about a guy who stashed a laptop behind the stock radio cover. He could tune the engine timing and injection from that laptop. I daresay a flip out GPS would be simpler, if of course your car has a radio cover.

As for tracking, I wouldn't worry about that. Kansas city only tracks there buses. The cost of tracking a GPS unit would probably exceed the revenue from the speeding tickets.