Register now to get rid of these ads!

Studebaker Truck Gasser Pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonneville Avanti Dan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I am enbarking on a new project. I owned and raced a Lark Gasser Wagon in the 70's at Lyons, Irwindale and OCIR.
    [​IMG]
    I have a chance to get a Studebaker pick up if I just go get it. So instead of a Lark maybe a truck? So I need some inspiration and some ideas. Does anyone have any pictures of Studebaker trucks turn into gassers?

2. Not yet. But as soon as i get my rear wheels on I'll post one or two.

Fiddling with my 63 champ now.

Rear drop 2" with 7.5" Hurst dirt track slicks on stock steelies. 7.00 x 15 bi pli fronts. Plan to drill the front bumper and drop in a 283 I have in the garage - otherwise stock though, so not full on gasser here. Just the stance and a fun driver. "Is that a Dodge?"...

Love the wagon - sweet!

3. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

hdh,
    Cool I'll look for the pics. The Lark wagon ran strong and three times in the summer of 71 held the track record at Lyons. Guy with an Olds kept trad'n the record all summer. Here's a pics of my current ride:
    [​IMG]
    Bonneville and El Mirage record holder.
    Here's what a guy gave me today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have 90% of the parts to build it with a bad ass Stude 259 and T10. Mopar 8 3/4 and disc brake conversion on front axle. Going to take two and make one. I'm building it to tow the Avanti to El Mirage and Bonneville.

4. Sweet. Good looking car - I hope to have an Avanti someday and drive it out to Salt Lake.

if you search around there are some really nice stude trucks of your era - but customized. perhaps you've seen the silver blue one. amazing. there's a guy here in Santa Cruz with a satin orange one thats got a great stance, white walls and I think baby moons. his was why i searched one out, but i ended up finding a deal on my champ. I'll see if I can find a photo of it the orange truck.

tires on yesterday. waiting for the rain to stop to drop the back. ordered sedan poverty caps for the front wheels. another trip to the powdercoater this week is in store...

Attached Files:

5. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

My 3/4 ton 62' Champ has a 509" Caddy in it. Not a gasser stance, but gasser go....

6. dubcee

dubcee

Is the guy you got the truck from parting any others out? I need some parts off those transtars in the back ground!

7. love the stude wagon...

8. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

dubcee,
    I can check for you. PM me and give me a contact # and I'll pass it on to him.
    Dan

9. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

travj31,
    Thank you. I only wish that Chrysler hadn't gotten a hold of me before I had a chance to finish it. I was headed for extreme coolness.

hdh,
    That's a nice looking Champ. I haven't been to Santa Cruz for over a year. Heard you guys had some wave problems yesterday. I am trying to work out the details for a trip to Half Moon Bay for the Pacific Coast Dream Machines gathering on May1. If I can make it up maybe we can get together and I can see the Champ.

10. sounds good. just put it in my calendar. my daughter and i may hop in and cruise up the coast that weekend.

its getting a bit of a workout as a real TRUCK currently - hauling bits of my garage remodel back and forth and providing the neighborhood kids with some play "driving" time.

some parts will be removed and sent off to the powdercoater this week and I'll pull the seat for some new fabric after wednesday. cool little truck for sure.

there's been abnormally high helicopter traffic over the neighborhood thanks to the T - now we're supposed to see 15+ foot swells here tomorrow. early this morning, bits of dock were washing up on the beach just south of seabright. just thankful the 8.9 wasn't here!