Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Drivers (cars) in alphabetical order who ran pavement at Hberg......

(Note: click on attachment....use full screen option on your browser tool bar to read text)
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

2. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

3. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Hey chuckels0,
    Is this another one of your dad's cars ? It's another "0" and it looks kind of like the old sportsman 37 Ford I posted earlier. I can't find any others numbered zero in my list. Do you know who the driver is ? It's an "unknown" on my spreadsheet, so it'll help me if you (or anyone else) knows who this is. Enjoy.....
    The Oldtimer

[​IMG]

4. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Hee Hee Hee - sometimes when you try to upload a shot you click on the wrong darn file. That's what I did when I clicked on the zero car in my previous post. This is a really good shot, though, so I'm posting it anyway. Don Gregory @ Kil-Kare in his famous # 7. Also in this race is # 26 Carl Smith, # 82 Dick Freeman, and # 11 Dick Dunlevy, Sr. Pretty darn good batch of race drivers, anyway you look at it !!!

Enjoy again !

Ths Oldtimer

[​IMG]

5. Awedrod

Awedrod
    from Wichita KS

Heres one for your appetite.....

6. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

Old Timer, that almost looks like Marvin Smith in the 0 Ford. Don't remember if he drove this car or not & really don't remember who did drive it on a regular basis.

7. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

Awesome pics keith

8. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Great photos Oldtimer.......have seen all these guys race at Hberg and afte it closed saw some big races at KilKare............both Shady Bowl and KilKare are my favorite "short" short tracks with their unique configurations and elevation changes..............I never got to most Ohio/Indiana/Mich tracks until the late 80s............oh I wished when I used to go to Hberg I would have taken in big shows at those tracks back in the 60's and 70's.....

BTW.......more driver profiles coming up this week from Hberg then I'll upload some more race photos from Hberg to close out that scrapbook..........after that we can move to the asphalt cars I have from the late 70's through the 80's.......

9. hoosierheel

hoosierheel

Just saw one of the Pontiacs at the Curb Motorsports Museum in Kannapolis, NC and am wondering why the rear glass on the Chevys was shorter. Any insight?

10. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

(Note: click on attachment....use full screen option on your browser tool bar to read text)

11. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

12. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

<!-- / message -->
    Here are the final group from my individual driver/car profiles from asphalt at Hberg...............<!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

13. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Okay lets move on............some random stock shots from Western Pa and some Hberg from 60's and 70's left yet in my scrapbook.....

14. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Random stock shots from Western Pa and some Hberg from 60's and 70's left in my scrapbook.....

15. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Last group of random stock shots from Western Pa and some Hberg from 60's and 70's from scrapbook.....

Note: next up will be late models from late 70's to mid 80's when I get around to it...........lol!

16. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

17. Champion 191

Champion 191
    from Clayton NC

I used to work in the concession stand at Clay City. I cant believe anyone doesnt have a picture of Butterball, Floyd Gilbert, Gene Petro, or Billy Teegarden. Only pic I have is me winning the bomber race two weeks before they closed.

18. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

19. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

20. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

21. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

22. jrose7004

jrose7004

23. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

I have many shots and video of Bill T racing, they are all on dirt in the early 80s..........mostly from Pennsboro....... and is Russ Petro related to Gene???

Got a lot of shots of Russ.....

24. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Photo # 4787 The bob Champman Ford , I remember Larry Pendelton in that car and the driver in it does look like him.

25. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

For the poster that wanted pictures from Winston West battles at Ascot Park, Calif......(not my picture but from Earl's photo collection) here is one of Ray Elder battling Jack McCoy from a May '68 race.

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1646" name=GENERATOR>
    [​IMG]

26. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Same race......race winner Ray Elder taking the checkered flag.

[​IMG]

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

GM tried to follow the roof line on the pontiac 2+2 but it didn't put enough air on the rear spoiler but the Aerocoupe's back window sloped down sooner and droped straighter putting more down force on the rear. That is why the Chevies were faster on down force tracks and in a pack of cars. When GM finally understood what was happening they changed the pontiacs to Monte Carlos for most of the tracks. There were a lot more Aerocouped ran than 2+2s and a lot more made for the street. That is why you still see an ocassional Aerocoupe but 2+2s are almost non existant. I understand GM didn't even complete the required number of street legal 2+2s before they pulled the plug. I still see Aerocoupes in the Kentuckyana area. I think there are three but the last 2+2 I saw was about ten years ago and I think it was sold out of state. Allstarracing

28. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif............Jan, 1968

Ray Elder, in one of his first races at the track being followed by James Hylton's Dodge.

[​IMG]

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

Russ and Gene were brothers I think and there was another Petro. I raced against them at Brownstown back in the day. They had some Chrysler kit cars also. Allstarracing

30. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Herschell McGriff in a Plymouth at a Winston West race at Sacramento fairgrounds. Again, not one of my photos.

[​IMG]