Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help wiring ignition????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadsterpilot, Mar 13, 2011.

1. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I have wired up an ignition switch to start a sbc that I have, the problem is it will start fine, just cant shut it off. Heres what I have, the ignition switch is just a regular switch with bat post, ign post, & acc post, with a post in the center of the switch, I run one wire from the starter selinoid to ign on the switch, one from the battery side of the starter to bat post on the switch, and one from the hei to the bat post on the switch, it starts fine, just cant turn it off when Im done. What am I doing wrong????

2. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

wheres your alternator/generator hooked to? you got something back feeding the ignition, either alt/gen or electric fan? or the switch is no good.....

3. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

No alt. hooked up right now, Im starting it on a stand........could be the starter switch, I just wasnt sure if I wired it correctly.

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

hei power needs to be switched its on all the time now, i just read...... batt=powers the switch and ign and starter when engaged, ign=to the hei, start= to the starter....

5. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

sounds like you are using a bat terminal that has power all the time. the ignition switch should have a dedicated power terminal for ignition, since some acc do shut off as you are cranking the motor over

6. tom brown

tom brown

the cal dude has it right- on the ign .switch-use the battery post to power the switch only-put coil to ign post- small starter to start post. if you can use single wire alt.to stop feed back. eat asprin.

7. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Hey Thanks, I knew I was missing something..............Thanks Everyone.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

HEI goes to ing terminal not Bat.