Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque convert/flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VONRUBEN65, Mar 13, 2011.

1. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Is the torque convert and flywheel supposed to be tightened together before u tight the tranny to the block?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Firstly torque your flexplate to crankshaft before offering up the transmission. I prefer to engage the convertor into the front pump and push it in beforehand as far as it will go without forcing it. When you bolt the transmission housing to the rear of the block I tighten all bolts before I pull the convertor back and finger tighten all the convertor bolts to the flexplate before torquing them down. A spot of locktite prevents the convertor coming loose later down the track.

3. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

That's exactly what I did but now the flywheel and torque convert are on top of eachother and when I turn the flywheel I can get separation between them to bolt them together

4. kcl

kcl
    from maryland

Your convertor is not all the way in the pump. there needs to be a gap between the convertor and the flex plate after the trans is bolted to
    the motor so you can pull the convertor up to the flex plate.
    If you bolt it up without the gap it will take the pump gears
    out when the motor is started

kcl

5. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

So how do I get it all the way in? Tranny is already bolted up and I can't push the torque anymore. Do I need to drop it again??

6. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

You'll need to unbolt the tranny and slide it back, then finagle the TC into the tranny correctly. Should not require removing the transmission completely, especially of TH350/400...as long as there is enough room for for you to get a grip on the TC

7. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Ok thanks and it's a TH350 so I'll be good.

8. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Thanks for all the help guys if u couldn't tell this is my first time hahaha

9. I hope you didn't tighten it too tight as the pump may have got screwed. When you install the torque converter, you need to spin it. It will need to go in and drop twice farther. After the torque converter is meshed with the gears and pump, then you can bolt the transmission to the engine. Keep feeling that the torque converter has play . After the trans is bolted tight to the engine, the torque converter should still move back and forth 1/4" or there abouts. Then tighten the torque converter to the flex plate and go burn some rubber!!

10. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Tighten the trans too tight? It's not all the wAy tight I looked today in the day light and it the trans isn't flush with the motor

11. Thats what I meant as the pressure on the pump can do damage!.

12. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Spin the converter around a couple of times while pushing in it seems to help get the converter to seat all the way.

13. Rodder29

Rodder29

You might want to pull the tranny out and check the seal to make sure you didn't damge it. Then follow the above mentioned, and carry on with the install.

14. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

I just finally had time and was able to get under it tonight and this is exactly what I did and it's all the way on now!! Thanks again for all the advice!!!