Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Grrl, A '60 Edsel, Tar Roof Shingles. . .And Cut Off Wheels. . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissPrint, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Yep! You definitely got a big project ahead of you there, and also a cool one. When you get your list of parts that you need together PM me. I may be able to help you out since my dad has nearly 200 Edsels.:eek: While most of them are 58 and 59's he does have a few 60's too.:)

2. MissPrint

MissPrint

Your Dad wouldn't happen to be Leroy Walker, would he? :)

3. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Yes, that would be him!:)

4. Frankie -you never cease to amaze I'd say Good Luck ,but Luck has nothing to do with your perserverence(SP ?)
    go getter girrrllll !!
    Me & Big Al(the original)

5. btw you are almost to 666 on your post count

6. bluestang67

bluestang67

This is off of carnut.com great library and his dedication . They only had 1 pic of the 60 Edsel but it is a great shot of the tail end . Side chrome is capped and a little different

Attached Files:

7. thunderplex

thunderplex

...floorboards for a 1060 are the same as a 1960 Ford. Most parts will interchange, except of course, the outside sheetmetal.

The one car I could have bought and didn't was a 352 3-speed 1960 Edsel 2 dr sedan, ...and it was painted pink from the factory. Every time I think or hear Edsel, I think of that car. I still wish I'd bought it.

8. duecesteve

duecesteve

Cool ride! there used to be a used car lot in springfield ma. back in early 80's.The guy would make rear quarters out of spray foam insulation mud'em up and be on the lot on monday morning with fresh paint for 795.00 special of the week. Just like Junior Samples call BR549. lol

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

My grandfather was a mason. He had a Model A with a very leaky roof. So he wrapped the top in wire lathe and troweled on a nice, smooth rich mixture of mortar. Painted it black and you could hardly tell it was cement. He always claimed that the added weight helped the car hold the road better.

Twenty years after he and the Model A were gone, the top was spotted intact in the corner of a junkyard.

Actually, everything he built is either still standing or has given someone a hell of a time to tear down.

At least the person who did those slim shady repairs was trying to keep the car alive. So, no bad and actually you are better off than it could have been since it seems easily reversible.

10. olds79

olds79

Sorry Jeff,

now I remember were I hear your name :D One of my dreams to have a place with so many Edsel:eek:

@Miss Print

I love your new car, I would have one of them here in Germany. I've never seen one in my real life.

Guido

11. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Cool cars. Heres a pic of my buddies, the "sportier" version. 1 of 57 built:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Those shingles in the trunk was the "back in the days" kinda fix. I remember back then in Wisconsin, guys would be envious of the guy who used galvanized sheet metal ducts, cut them apart, spread them flat and applied to a rusted out quarter panel with sheet metal screws. The guy would never paint the galvanized metal to give that, I did it myself look, like it wasn't obvious by the non-conformed, misshapened metal that looked remotely like the original panel. But it was resourceful and cheap that gave it high honors.

13. 63Compact

63Compact

You go Frankie Good Luck with it.

14. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I know of a 60 in Ohio. Has a bent up left quarter and a broken windshield. I believe it was a Colorado car. I'm after a local '59 wagon, though. A neighbor has 2. I don't NEED them but I certainly WANT them!

15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Alright, I missed this one until today....4 pages and let me see if I catch up.

UH..... Hubba hubba wolf whistle and other grunts,....... what a babe.

UH..... lets see, joke about a roof tar tile..... how about the only way to eat an elephant is one shingle bite at a time? A reference back to a Grrl and a gun. Ha, Frankie will get it.

and way to go dude. Seriously you rock. I bet you get alot done in the next few days. You should give up sleep for Lent and just rock out on that Edsel.

Good luck and break a leg.

16. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I am quite surprised how rusted that thing is for a Texas car. I figured down there rust was not a problem. It looks about as rusty as anything up here from frozen Wisconsin.

17. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

this 60 Edsel lived first years at East Coast ? Then moved to texas ?
    That would explain rust issue ?

I bought almost 20 yrs ago 64 galaxie which came from L.A.
    Was quite rusty afterall, it was mahwah built :eek:)
    Lived first years some where else than in L.A.

Rear floorboards, rockers and trunk floor changed.
    Even outer frames were quite rotten, thanksfully this galaxie is X-framed car,
    so, that saved this galaxie. Without X = my galaxie would gone to crusher in 80`s ?

18. Good luck with this - nice to see a woman enthused about taking on a big project. More power to you.

BTW - I'd be remiss to fail to mention that your baby blues brightened up a rainy day over here in the UK.

19. MissPrint

MissPrint

Thanks, y'all for the encouragement, and the compliments. . .keeps me goin'. . .and I'll be headin' back out to the shop this afternoon if the weather clears up (drizzly, rainy, and since I'm workin' outside, not optimal conditions for strippin' metal today :(). . .

The car is a Texas car, but unfortunately, it is a Houston car, which is a whoooooole 'nother story when it comes to rust here in TX (humid, near the coast, salt air/water). . .

The odd thing to me is that I "get" old school repairs, if the car had been sitting since 1960 or so. . .but it was last registered and running in 1998! :eek: These are "new" old school "repairs." ;)

and 61 Fairlane. . .that '60 2 dr. hardtop is UNREAL! :eek: Gorgeous, gorgeous car your buddy's got there. . .

And Jeff, your dad is a LEGEND. . .Seriously. Meeting him and gettin' to see his collection is absolutely a "bucket list" item for me. . .

One bite at a time, Dru, one bite at a time. . .;):D:cool:

20. Hey, great thead! I've learned a bunch about the 60 Edsel here, cuz ya don't get to see them in person all that often. Looking through the various photos it's clear that the 60 Edsel body is almost all Galaxie with the exception of the hood and fins. The differences in trim make a whole different car. Just a thought - if you can find a Starliner donor, you could make your own sport top like the one Fairlane shows above. (a '61 will work too.) That is indeed a gorgeous car.

I just got my 60 Starliner build page going so I'll be checking in here to see how yer doin'. Little informal competition if you will...

Best of luck
    Dave

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Now, either I'm an idiot (which may very well be the case ;):eek:) or I'm missin' something here. . . I moved each piece of trim on either side, and for the life of me it looks like there's got to be something missing between the end of the long side piece and the tail. :confused::confused: Anyone?

Yes, the corner trim are chrome-plated diecast pieces that fit really poorly. A friend of mine has one of these cars at his shop, part of his Edsel collection, and I checked it out this week after seeing this post. His car is missing the lower swoopy trim at the rear but has the Ford gold birds on the quarters between the upper and lower trim pieces. It appears 60 Edsels have a lot of one-off stuff mixed in with Ford parts too.

22. wanabe28

wanabe28

Maybe that's sublimbanal for when the car is going to be finished. By the way, if i have leaky shingles, can i use a 60 edsel to seal them up?

23. kisam

kisam

Go Frankie Go! By the time you get the floor pans repaired you will be able to weld anything!

24. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i gotta follow this one, those 60 edsels look like they were designed by mr. spacely, waaaay cool. one day i gotta get one

25. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I'm new to this forum, but am making up lost time by reading EVERY Edsel posting I can. This is one heck of a story!

When I was a kid, we had the Casa De Los Ninos car show in Tucson, and every year there was a respectable Edsel turnout. The one that I never understood was the 1960 2 Dr Hardtop. I kept thinking it was some type of Merc.

In seeing your thread, I see I was wrong. That sure is one nice car - those sweeping lines are very nice...and the rear is pretty unique to my mind. You've convinced me that a 60 is actually a pretty desirable car!

So I have to ask....

Any updates?

Cheers!

26. First off all I missed this thread when it was posted and I've not read all the responses but I'm familiar with...

a. Asphalt shingles... After three layers it's a mandatory "Tear Off"
    b. Edsel trim... I've seen only one car still sporting that ill fitting piece of "Pot Metal Trim" sitting in a museum!
    c. Rust... From Wisconsin... "Rust Belt Capitol of the world... where body panels don't survive below the door handles!

And I stripped these off a 60 Edsel 30 years ago...

Attached Files:

27. ... tail lights look familiar?!:eek:

[​IMG]

28. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Here's some pictures of another 1 of 777 1960 Edsel Rangers (2 dr. sedan) that were produced. Unfortuately, this one is sitting and rotting in a woods in NW Ohio.

Attached Files:

29. As noted a lot of unique and hard to find trim on those, I would strip every unique-to-Edsel trim piece off that car, even if they're not perfect, and look around on the ground next to it for anything that already fell off on it's own.

30. We need an update Frankie!