Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Swoopy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Dec 25, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You just overlooked it. It has been on the thread.

2. rick finch

rick finch

Ray Kinney's 1932 Ardun Special.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve Moal's one-off, "Gatto".............(Ferrari powered).

[​IMG]

3. rick finch

rick finch

1954 Fiat 8V......

[​IMG]

'54 Fiat 8V "Supersonic"......

[​IMG]

1948 Daimler DE36 Hooper Drop Head Coupe......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

South Omaha swoop.
    [​IMG]

5. Always enjoy this thread - really good pictures of most cars I really like. Thanks.

The '57 Maserati 450S, Costin designed and Zagato bodied, always looked to me that someone found a windscreen, actually looks to be a backlite, several inches too wide for the design of the body and things went down hill from there. The result was a bit lumpy at best. I think most of Costin's efforts are very swoopy and efficient. Wish I could find his approach using math to predict air flow over surfaces, at least I think it was him, I read about it years ago, it made sense but was way beyond my abilities. Guess it is CFD these days.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Another Fiat 8V Zagato, restored by one friend of mine for another:

[​IMG]

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It was the width of the greenhouse and the lack of "window sills" that got me to thinking of the Marcos, but when I found the Marcos picture the effect seemed less pronounced than I'd remembered it. I'm sure I must have been thinking of another car, possibly not even a Costin design but definitely British. It was that wide windscreen that rung bells. Any ideas?

As regards Frank Costin's math, what I'd come across of it was rather basic and common-sensical, like proceeding from the assumption that if you measure and/or extrapolate the total cross-sectional area of all the air passages through a radiator, that'll be about the size of the hole you'll need on the front of the car. Of course it isn't really that simple, especially when one starts to calculate the effect of added heat on air velocity and try to use that to offset radiator drag, but it's still remarkably useful in practice.

8. Here is a cool write up in the April 1950 Motor Trend about the Phantom - hope that you can read it

Attached Files:

9. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

19 bloody pages and not a single MGA coupe!!! Must be because they are so rare....

Attached Files:

10. BigArv65

BigArv65

Early lsr behemoth hanging on the wall of the MB museum, and Moss' 54 F1 full bodied car.. Photo(s) taken around 1990.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  11. Trabuco Fred

Trabuco Fred

I have been fortunate to own two "Swoopy cars" Traded the Lusso for the Bill Thomas Cheetah in 1989.

Attached Files:

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Fred, those qualify as a pretty fine swoopy collection! Is the other Ferrari in your driveway a PF coupe? Those are among my absolute favorite cars of all time -- not really swoopy, but the perfect Businessman's Express!

[​IMG]

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy Randall's pre-A 356 Outlaw is pretty swoopy.

Attached Files:

14. CarLowz

CarLowz
    from Florida

Thank you for this great thread!

It can't be dead, though!! I've seen a little bit of stretching in what qualifies, so I believe I am not too out of line by adding the following personal inspirations:

1. Several well done, low slung (tube chassis or otherwise), Ford 27 T Roadsters. The first one that stopped me in my tracks was Dick Williams 1927 Ford Roadster. According to the write up in Hot Rod Milestones by Dain Gingerelli, it went 123 MPH on the Dry Lakes AND won AMBR at Oakland in 1953. It showed me what was possible with a 27 T Roadster.

2. Bubble Tops. Cushenberry has several amazing ones, of course. But there are others (Anthony C's Bandit, Grote's Atomic Punk) that have shown what is possible with that formula. Being a sci-fi nut, they appeal to me quite a bit. I believe there is much unexplored potential there.

3. Porsche RS-60 Spyders.

4. (Already mentioned) Karmann Ghia's. Whether the design was stolen or not (have heard this, too), and despite VW's great sense of humor about the stock configuration's, ahem, "performance", these are beautiful cars, IMO. I was inspired one evening, in a restaurant parking lot, hungry. Heading to the door, there it sat, backed into a parking spot, a consistent brown patina, and no bumpers. Yet it stopped me, and just quietly evoked such beauty. Apparently, they can also quite readily be made into well handling little sports cars, as several folks race them (not just at Drag Strips). And, in the 60's a company called Dacon built up several of these and had two of the Fittipaldi's racing them in Brazil, quite successfully from what I have read.

Anyway, my contributions are my "thank you" for a great thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

CarLowz, I share your enthusiasm for well-done '27s. I have long thought that the Dick Williams car was one of the best hot rods ever; I wish that Blackie would restore it to its '53 configuration.

Spyders are great cars too, of course.

I hope the thread isn't dead, too, but I kinda ran out of things to say!

16. Great thread! How´d I miss this one?

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

18. /\ Those headlights are a vast improvement on the factory ones.

19. rick finch

rick finch

This thread came back from the dead.....IT'S ALIVE!!! :D:cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  20. rick finch

rick finch

'66 Ferrari 275 GTB/6C Scaglietti "Longnose" Coupe....

[​IMG]

Ulenhaut 300SL.....

[​IMG]

Ferrari 250 TRI.....

[​IMG]

21. rick finch

rick finch

'54 Maserati A6 GCS by Pininfarina.....

[​IMG]

Abarth 205 Monza....

[​IMG]

Porsche/Abarth 356B....

[​IMG]

....and did McQueen have it goin' on, or what?

[​IMG]

22. rick finch

rick finch

Ferrari "Double Bubble" Coupe, by Zagato.....

[​IMG]

'53 Allard J2X LeMans.....

[​IMG]

'62 Ferrari 250GT Bertone Coupe.....

[​IMG]

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Those are great, Rick. I particularly like the Farina Maserati for its aggressiveness and the Bertone Ferrari for its grace.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Ya know... conceptually, I think that Kurtis/Offy thing is neat, but I've seen it up close and I think it's really rather clumsy. It's narrow, relatively tall, and just not as rakish as, say, even a stock Auburn speedster. It's had a couple of exhaust systems over the years, and they all look like HVAC installations rather than an Indy Offy header, for example.

Certainly a cool car, nonetheless.

25. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

Yeah, the " Tommy Lee " ride is kinda heavy handed, but I'll bet the development time for the design was much shorter than what Buehrig spent on the Auburn's lines. Given how wacked out Tommy was, I'm bettin he was pushin for an early compleation date, too!

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I just browsed through this elderly thread again, because I'm writing a related one, and I ran across this car that I had overlooked when it was originally posted. I don't think it's exceptionally swoopy, but it's a killer looking little hardtop -- obviously tweaked a little in this particular case.

I used to travel to Japan a lot, and paid attention to the cars on the road, but this is a model that I have never seen before (unless the one in this picture has really been modified a lot).

Anyway, I think it's bitchin'. I wonder if any of them ever got over here?

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

^^that's kinda corvair-ish looking ^^
    great thread as always! thanks--chuck

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Luce#R130

"A rotary-powered Luce appeared in 1969. The Luce R130 was produced from October 1969 to 1972. It used a 1.3 L 13A engine, which produced 126 hp (94 kW) and 127 lb·ft (172 Nm). Quarter-mile (400 m) performance was 16.9 seconds. This model was a front-wheel-drive two-door coupé with front disc brakes. This model, Mazda's only front-wheel-drive rotary, is now a collector's item and very rare."

[​IMG]

I've often wondered if a transverse fwd Mazda rotary installation would work. It'd have been perfect for the BD-series 323 "GTi" that never was. That's more Dogfight material, though.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Dawie. The one I posted has clearly benefitted from several inches of lowering; that never hurts the appearance of a car!

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sporty for 90 years ago. Gary
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: