Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interest in 30-31 model a quarter patch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M/H Speed and Design, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I cant wait ....keep up the good work. I think there are a bunch of us chomping at the bit for these....

2. jtlester

jtlester
    from Texas

Any updates on the patch panels???

3. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

updates please. Need them bad. Any idea on a price for a pair ?

4. boutlaw

boutlaw

I'm waiting for updates on these corner panels as well, I'm on my third right side and the stamping is no better than the previous 2.

5. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

The support we have gotten from you guys is crazy. We have talked to so many cool people on here and on the phone that are as excited about these things as we are. Everyone has been really understanding that we are not a huge company, just a little 2 man operation in Georgia. Never-the less, we like when the odds are stacked against us and the wait will be well worth it. We should have some big news within the week on the progress of the quarters, We just had ANOTHER sit down with our machinist and our good pal that's an ex Locheed Martin engineer. If anyone has any more questions, don't hesitate to email me or PM me, we like to hear from all of you and we try to get back within a day or so.

6. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Will: we talked last week. I didn't know you were making the rear corner of the coupe...I was thinking it was the quarter patch panel from the "B" pillar aft to the center of the wheel housing arch!

7. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Any recent news on the corners , I have all my sheet metal ready for my 31 except for the corners . Hope to hear good news soon .

8. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

I'd be in for at least one, if not a pair.

9. uglyjesus

uglyjesus
    from Ohio

Im in for a pair.

10. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Whats the latest on the corners, been about three weeks since your last post , Really need to know , really need them bad. Please post an update.

11. daddylama

daddylama

hell, i'm needing some, too...
    imagining repro A patch panels that actually fit as opposed to looking like an unfolded tuna can, is rad.

12. mramc1

mramc1

I asked Brookville at SEMA last year if they would ever consider making entire Model A coupe quarter panels. The rep there said no. I find it hard to believe that there is enough interest in roadster pickup and roadster car bodies to make and sell them real reasonable, but they can't make coupe quarters? There are probably twice as many coupes being built as roadsters judging by projects, mag cars, etc. I would like to see the whole quarter window and all included in the stamping. From the price I have seen junk roof and quarters go for it seems like there would be a market for full coupe quarters. At least '30-'31 as these are more popular and complicated that '28-'29 cars. Roadster quarters cost $900. Sell the coupe quarters for $1200. If I needed them I'd buy them vs cobbling three rusty quarters together to make one good one. Any thoughts?

Josh Quick
    Quick Speed Shop

13. daddylama

daddylama

^ you're lucky if you can cobble together 1 quarter from just 3 rusty ones...
    you should see what i'm working with now :)

14. boutlaw

boutlaw

I agree with daddylama, i'm working with crap too.....so waz up M&H, you got us all excited and.............any updates are appreciated, sounds like a market is already waiting..............

Outlaw

15. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

Long over due update! The shop computer ingested too much metal i guess, so we had to get her a new hard drive. Somehow between emails, facebook, and our website, i forgot to post an update on the HAMB. Here is where we stand as of this morning. The last i heard from out CNC guy is that we should have our dies back early this week. If everything we changed is correct, then this should be the last time the dies have to get machined. WE now have our primary press, and a backup press, just in case, which is nice to know. We were really hoping for the end of march, but we are doing our and simply couldn't make it happen in time. April looks more promising though, as some of the smaller details are lining up. I know some people might be getting frustrated and want these things now, and I don't blame them, my coupe needs them too! Some of this is just waiting on other people unfortunately. You pay them, and wait...but we are using only the best so the wait is worth it. I wish we could do it all ourselves, but there's just some things out of our league, like 5 axis CNC milling machines. We went from this thread being a "hey, what do you guy's think about..." to this being a reality in the past 6 months. It's been cool that everyone has been right here with us through all this. Honestly, If it wasn't for all the high fives and support from the HAMB, we might not have been so quick to dump our life savings into making these things. Although it seems like progress is slow, we are giving it hell and not looking back. If anyone has any questions or concerns, shoot me an email, and I'll do the best to get back asap.

AND... We are super excited about finally being HAMB Alliance Vendors, so you guys that are alliance members will get 15% off the patches! So if any of you still haven't joined, get to it! We talked our buddy into joining, and he couldn't believe how much he saved on his tires he got from Coker! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=175

16. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

[​IMG]

I told you my coupe needs them! I think my quarter must have 50 pounds of gas welding rod in them. The bottom of both of mine are almost entirely made of weld. Pretty sure it was a roundy round car. Welded on fenders got ripped off and left some nasty damage too. I think every one should post up pics of their quarters, maybe we can do a little contest to pass the time.... Let's see em!

17. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

:eek::confused::mad:

Attached Files:

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Hey M/H Speed -
    I just want to say thank you to you guys for taking this on. We're all excited about it and chomping at the bit, but if we stepped back for a sec, up until 6 months ago we were all just dreaming about the idea.
    You guys actually got off your ass and put your money where your mouth was are going to end up making a huge dent in a big hole in the industry with these patches.
    Thank you.

19. boutlaw

boutlaw

X2 on what Gigantor said. If things are moving as well as you say, you have made remarkable progress getting these corners to market. I too am chomping at the bit, but understand the process from drawing board/idea to marketplace. Please keep us posted with any news, because you know how impatient a bunch of ole men can get.
    I'm in, just let me know as soon as they are available....

Outlaw

20. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

I'm still in for a pair or two as well... Keep us posted guys!

21. daddylama

daddylama

i'd post a pic of my current quarters... but then you guys would think i'm into crocheting and such... total lace in the corners.

can't wait to see the finished product! i'll be glad to purchase a set...

22. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Glad to hear an update,Was getting worried. Will post a pic of my quarters corners , or lack there of as soon as I can .

23. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

heres whats left of mine.

Attached Files:

24. boutlaw

boutlaw

Damn, you do need a set...I thought mine were bad......

25. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Yea , soon as I can get them !!!!!!!!

26. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

[QUOTE=M/H Speed and Design;6407136 We were really hoping for the end of march, but simply couldn't make it happen in time. April looks more promising though.
    April has come and gone. Need an update. thanks

27. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'll jump in as well. I'd take a pair or maybe even two.

28. boutlaw

boutlaw

Will,
    got any updates on the corner patches since your April 4th posting?

29. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

Sorry for the lack of updates this past month, we've had a few speed bumps and a few curve balls our way. Between my step-dad dealing with a sudden scare of throat cancer and a lot of new projects at the shop, I was hoping the patch panels would continue to be on auto pilot. My phone rang about three weeks ago and I thought it was the call to come pick up the dies for the last time. There was good and not so good news. Good news is one die looks great, bad news is the driver side had issues. Somehow, between scanning, Faro arm, water jet, and 5 axis milling, the scale in the rear section of the driver side die is basically too short. At first I was frustrated and totally worn down about all this, so I went to visit an old friend, ex Locheed tool maker named Cotton. After a little pep talk, I went straight to the Bridgeport and figured instead of bitching about it, I need to fix it. So for the past 3 weeks, just about every day, I have stood there in front of that old J-head milling machine facing, drilling, pinning and figuring a way to add 1" of steel to the very tip of the die. After figuring all the out, I sent the dies to have the bases Blanchard ground and had the new sub plate ground to index the dies for future machine work. In a way I wish I would have never guesstamated a release date, because I know it has frustrated some people, but I used my best judgment and I was off. I feel like I could write a book on manufacturing for dummies, learned the hard way. As of now, the die needs about another hour of manual machine work, then a trip to the Cnc hopefully for a short short time. I'll know more Thursday when I go back to the Cnc guys shop . On a bright note, I t the tiny bit of spare time Ive had, we managed to get the press at my buddies shop fixed, a 1940s Chicago rubber blanket press. This means we will be able to stamp these things about 2 miles from the shop. Again thanks for everyone's patience, I'll keep everyone posted on the next step.

As usual, if anyone has any questions, comments or curse words for me, shoot me an email @ [email protected] or give the shop a call @ 404 825 8717.

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Available and correct fitting ARE the criteria for affordable.
    The savings in labor to fit and modify a poor part as well as the savings in mental unrest make the price even if more than the available bad part a moot point.