Register now to get rid of these ads!

406 FE 6V tuneup issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wreckingball, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Finally decided to make sure that car was running right and would go over the tune.
    After rebuilding the carbs, the only thing I did to them was to check the float levels. So Gluefoot and I decided was to make sure that we had everything right, so that the car would be reliable and would not let me down when the time came to drive the 95 miles home.

[​IMG]

Got the mixture settings done on all 3 carbs, they were all over the place and did not make any sense why they were set up that way by the previous owner. The plug gaps were pretty much spot on and checked the points gap and they just needed a tickle up. After the engine was at operating temperature it, did not want to idle and started to back fire thru the center carb as well as out of the exhaust when given some accelerator. It became obvious that there was an ignition issue, the coil, an MSD unit was pretty warm, so I pulled the lead out of the coil. The end of the lead was dripping with oil!. So the major cause of some of the starting issues we were having was do to the faulty coil. I turned the coil upside down and all the oil ran out of it.
    I replaced the coil and the mighty FE started on the 1st crank without using the accelerator and just idled away. Now I can concentrate on getting the rest of the car done!

2. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

This thing barks when when the trips are on song - it just such a good feeling that another job has been taken care of and it was done properly.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. I like happy endings.
    now...drive the tires off.

4. Cool! One of my all-time favorites.....'62 Ford 406/405.Owned a few over the years. I know the sound well of those fully opened trips screaming through the gears.......

5. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I have had the best luck with FE tri powers but "shutting off" the idle circuts on the end carbs (lightly seat the mixture screws closed) and idling off of the center carb only. Assuming you have factory progressive linkage set that so the carbs open center , rear and then front.
    The results for me using this arrangement has been a good running car with a clean idle.

Pete

6. power58

power58

Very nice Car. A hot 406 with trips makes it so much better. Thanks for posting.

7. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I've had tri-pwr on my 390 for a long time now and rebuilt several units for other people. If I remember, mine runs best with the center carb idle screws out about 1.5 turns, and the outer carb screws out about 1/2-3/4 turns. Still smells a bit rich at idle but runs great. I always adjust the linkage so that both outer carbs open simultaneously for a good "kick in the pants" jolt when you open them up.

8. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Both outer carbs have been set up to come on at the same time, I guess that's why the thing sounds so nasty:D:D