Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on grit of sandpaper before paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 92GTA, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I just can't believe how fu*king cheap you are ! :eek:
    You want to take a sought after Vette that anyone would love to have and then you want to use a $3 rattle can on it for a Red Necks Paint Job . You are out of your freaking mind ! Take a loan out and do it right or just sell the car as is BUT DON'T rattle can that car ! That will ruin it and what it's worth .
    If the Corvettes of Carsile , Pa price of a air cleaner and gas cap bother you that much , then take the Fu**ing things off before you get someone to paint it . Now is it that hard to do if you are so worried about someone taking the parts ? But you want to ruin the car with a damn $3 can of paint !
    I just don't get your reasoning at all but it's your car so go and ruin it as you want to . :eek:

Retro Jim

2. 92GTA

92GTA

Thank you! I'm glad you understand exactly! I have hit it with thinner and the red comes off on the rag instantly, a couple more rubs and I can get down to the original black too. It is only 1 dozen can free I got, I can buy more too if need be.

And some of you other guys, it's not like I bought the gas cap or air cleaner, they are original to the car but I also see what they sell for on the corvette forums and eBay, that's why I don't trust leaving the car anywhere! I was just giving examples of what parts can be worth that are very easily removed. Gas caps even get stolen at car shows!

3. If it comes off that easily, have ya thought about washing the red off completely? Might take a lot of time and clean rags :D
    Hey, did I see your car and this topic over at the corvette forum? Sounds familiar....

4. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

sand it & take it to earl scheib

5. This may be the only time the term "it's your car, do what you want" may not actually apply. You should be stripped of this car by the millions that will appreciate it more than you do. This is absolutely ridiculous and BY FAR the stupidest thing I've ever read on the hamb. Especially considering your link explaining how 99% original the car is, and how NCRS correct everything is on it.

This is OBSURD and you have to get a hold of yourself. If you actually pull the trigger on this incredibly bad plan of yours, you do not deserve to own that car. Period

6. 92GTA

92GTA

Dude, I don't think you understand how bad the paint on it now is. I've explained how bad it is, maybe you missed it. Even primer would be a 10x improvement. Besides, it's just friggin paint for christs sake, nothing that can't be or won't be undone to be done corrctly in the future.

7. 92GTA

92GTA

I asked here about doing that a couple months ago and was told by 9 out of 10 people who responded that it wouldn't be possible.

8. Then park it till you can do it right, or drive it and just "own it" as it is. At least YOU'RE not the one that brushed it on in spots and made it look as bad as it is. Bottom line it needs to be fixed, I understand that, but for goodness sake do it right or don't do it at all. The normal rules of being a cheap prick and stretching a dollar do not apply to your car, and if you want to continue abiding to those rules, then sell the vette, and buy 3 or 4 Falcons or Biscaynes or something (no offense to Falcon or Biscayne owners, I think they're great, but they're not Corvettes)

9. Cheap entertainment?

This thing will go one for days and posts with merit will slide to the back.

I think the question has been asked and answered and yet I still manage to bounce it to the top. :eek:

10. I got the beer, who's got the popcorn?
    This is gonna be good.
    Takin a potential 50K - 75k car and puttin $2:mad::eek: rattle can on it.
    This guy has got a screw loose or he sure ain't the sharpest tack in the box !!!!!!!!
    :D:rolleyes::D

11. Dirk35

Dirk35

If you have chips and spiderwebs and dont sand down to the base material (fiberglass) you have a new paint, cheap at that, with chips and spiderwebs. Itll look like ass if you dont do it correctly, and add yet another layer of crud that youll need to sand off in the future.

Either way, its your car, you can do whatever you like to it, no matter what anyone says.

12. sorry but the problem is, it's just going to look like a spray can paint job. if you want to get rid of the red it will come out better if you at least take it to the next level. da sand the car with 320 grit paper apply a black epoxy primer... done. that said if you realy want to try the spray bombs, sand with 400 wet and have at it. and if it looks like ass then your back to square one and have lost a little time and money.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  13. 92GTA

92GTA

Thank you for pointing that out. This being the case, I will either leave it, or strip down to glass and seal/primer it until I can paint it.

14. Alex S. L.

Alex S. L.
    BANNED

Why don't you just rub it out for now? At least then it would be shiny red.

15. Strange thread.

16. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Hey if the gas cap gets stolen, i will sell you an original for $300. What a deal !!!! Now as far as primer , I painted my corvette and used lacquer primer all we had 40 yrs ago, it is still on the car and the color holdout is fine.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

SK---I've been reading this thread and up to now, believed it. First off, no asshole will brush paint a vette---not even a guy from CA. Then another guy wouldn't KNOWINGLY rattle can one if hes got a $1500.00 breather, etc.----I say he's bored this morning and started some shit on the HAMB for entertainmnt. Subscribe to the Cartoon Network..get a life.

18. Greezeball

Greezeball

Wow some people are over sensitive. 99% correct car who gives a fuck! If it were mine I'd turn it into a mid 60s style radical custom. Paint can always be fixed later. This is a hot rod site? or maybe all those Henry 32s should be unchopped and restored. Some canted quad head lights and break out the mat and resin ha ha.

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Did it ever occur to you to take the air cleaner and gas cap off the car and store them away until you can afford to have the car done properly? You could pick up some cheap generic replacements that wouldn't matter if they got stolen.
    I'm beginning to think like a few others that this is just a form of entertainment for you, mainly because it's almost a month until April Fools day and I'm having a hard time thinking anyone can be so naive. Were you going to keep this going until then and "surprise" us that you were just kidding? If so buzz off and play somewhere else.

Frank

20. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Start small. Hood or trunk lid if you want to do it. That will determine if you have the patience for paint prep work. I don't, I gladly pay the man to do that for me. If you don't like it, you only have a small panel that looks worse than the rest rather than an entire car that you decided to jump in with both feet. Who knows, maybe its something you like doing, and the small panel will highlight what you need to be more carefull of, and what material changes you may need to make.

For taking the car to a body shop, as the above poster said. You REMOVE all the removable items yourself to store safely and put on some cheap stuff where necessary (fuel and air filters) when you need to leave it somewhere. Even take out the radio and dash cluster so you don't need to clean the dust out from INSIDE the units. That dust gets everywhere, so if you don't want to clean it later, remove it. Your tiime is better spent doing that while saving up some money for a real paint shop.

Alex.

21. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

don't let all the nervous nellies spook you, they get their shorts in a wad over the small stuff. it isn't unrealistic to do what you are thinking, just make sure you follow the sound advice. i am totally against all these morons that pay $3,000 to $6,000 or more for a paint job. when your vette came out, when hotrodding was real, we used to park and sit on our fenders, lean on the paint, and more, without people having a freaking heart attack. the "new" hotrodding sucks. i would love to see an old original vette in primer, looking cool, something you just don't see nowdays with the politically correct bullshit that is out there. if it was mine i would be laying some flames over that primer.

22. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I think you need to step away from the "Cans" and take a breath of fresh air!!! Blk. epoxy as mentioned before is the only way you will ever get it blk. on the Cheap, and be able to chat on here again.... And even a monkey can pull the trigger on that one!!! And Ya a flame job(31Acoupe) w/a set of ol' torq thrust would be a Very kool look on the cheap!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  23. kayjohn

kayjohn

Wow!
    I started reading this thread and just about went on to the next one then ended up reading the whole thing. ILMAO!!! I'm seeing the positive points of the red being bad, the car being originaly black from the factory and you not likeing the color red no more even if it was not so bad. then I can see the negative side. devalueing a very desirable car, causing more work in the future to make it right and having the Vette community and others look down on you like a wicked step child.

Most posts on this one were right on why you shouldn't do it the way of your question. Here is my opinion on the same.
    Spray cans have a very small tip so for the paint to be sprayed it needs to be piss thin. paint is made up of solids and liquids. the liquid is used to transfer the solid from the can,pot or spray gun to the surface where the liquid dries leaving the solid. A spray gun has a bigger tip and will allow a thicker met. to be sprayed using an out side air source. a spray can has a very small tip with its air supply in the can leaving little room for thinner and less for solids. the point is your gonna need a whole lot of cans to even get it covered and don't even think of polishing it without experience you will polish it off all the edges. also you mentioned cracks in the color. more than likely it's the original black lacquer. it's called lacquer check and runs down through paint and primer down to the glass. there are primers that will cover them for a short while but they will come back with a vingence. and spay cans will never get that job done.

Now here is a point that everybody missed. You say your going to paint this in your garage. do you have exhaust fans with sealed motors? get enough saturation of paint fumes with a spark and you go boom. Do you have a paint suit rubber gloves and a resporator? With a spray gun you can go around a car in ten to twenty minutes and walk out side into fresh air. using spray cans you could be in there for hours tring to cover everything exposing yourself to the toxic fumes. even with a suit,gloves and a resporator that stuff gets in through exposed skin and your eyes. come the next day you'll be sicker than a dog.
    buy the time you buy what you think is enough cans of primer and the black over your free ones. for the money spent you could of had a One Day or Earl paint it for you. you would have a nice joband not be sick.

TAKE ALL THE TRIM AND VALUBLE NON PAINTED PARTS OFF THE CAR,

SAND IT DOWN WITH 320 DRY PAPER. REMOVING AS MUCH RED AS YOU CAN,

TAKE IT TO EARL FOR A TWO PART PRIME,

BRING IT HOME AND USE ONE OF THOSE FREE CANS AND SPRAY THE CAR LIGHTY. ( THATS CALLED A GUIDE COAT)

WET SAND WITH 400 WET&DRY UNTIL ALL THE BLACK IS GONE ( BY HAND )TO KEEP MOST OF THE LUMPS AND WAVES IN THE BODY.

TAKE IT BACK TO EARL FIRST THING IN THE MORNING FOR AN ENAMEL OR URETHANE BLACK PAINT JOB,

STAY WITH THE CAR ALL DAY IF YOU WISH,

TAKE IT HOME THAT AFTERNOON.

PUT IT TOGETHER AND ENJOY.....................

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  24. You dont rattle can a vette. Charlie Sheen even knows better then that. He can say hes winning!

25. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Make sure you read kayjohns post above, he knows what he is talking about, it's what he does. Look at some of the Denvers Choppers he has brought back to life, amazing.

26. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

Got any pictures of the existing paint job? Wouldn't hurt to show them.

27. henry29

henry29

Didn't you say before you wanted to rat rod it?

28. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

I am with Squirrel on this one,can't shoot Lacquer over Enamel ! It will lift sure as shit ! I also think your doing a little huffing...to want to paint your car out of a can. Good Luck with that...

29. I would take the car to someone who paints/restores old Vettes and get their opinion before doing anything. Then weigh the options and pick the best one for what you can afford.

Getting it into a smooth-body and primer-sealer condition may not cost that much. Plus you really have no idea what's on there in the first place.

Bob