Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a more traditional engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pchop51, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketMan

RocketMan

2. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Just my 2cents,I'm a die-hard Ford freak so my choice is obvious.Trust me when I say I hate a sbc just as much as the next guy(350 w/hei's,fake rocket valve covers,n that garbage so save the hate mail) but NO ONE can hate on a 265.Either 1 of them would be bitchin' man.Good luck.

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Either would be fine. I like the looks of a Y block. The only reason I wouldn't run a 265 is because people would think it was just another 350. Oh and they didn't have oil filters at first.
    I'm a tight/broke rodder so I use what I can find cheap that already runs decent. If I had my choice I would run an Olds because I had them when I was a kid and still like 'em. No other reason.

4. Go with what you like and the look you are after and forget the rest.
    I myself love the old hemis, I hate to say it but alot of the early ones were boat anchors with only 180hp, but with a little work and searching the swapmeets they do very well for them selves plus they look freakin sweet, and so could either of the engines you have. It sounds like you plan on using the Y block, its a good choice for an engine with lots of options to work with.

5. devilleish

devilleish

I run the original 265 in my 55 shortbed, and will continue to do so. With the staggered bolt pattern valve covers and intake mounted oil filter people in the know realize what it is. People who aren't still see it's not an ordinary small-block. Plus it has a sound unlike any other small-block and is happy as hell gettin the living shit revved out of it. Forged steel crank has helped it live through my right foot for more than a few years now too.

6. I was Crusing in the 50's & 60's and in my Merc I had a Stroker Flat head
    and in late 50 I got a 56 or 57 Olds J-2 & put it in the Merc!
    Ran like a Raped Ape!
    I also had a 56 T-Bird 312/Powerpack 2 fours which was a Sweet Ride
    Beat most of the Cars around except my 50 Merc/olds
    back in the Day it was what you could afford or Had availible is what you put in
    your Car
    If you want to be Different put a Cummings Deisel in it
    Just my 3.5cents

7. I would use the Y block ,however the chev will be considerabley cheaper to build.
    So if finances are the major issue no contest.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like the looks of a Y-block better than a sbc. :D purely subjective, but...

9. devilleish

devilleish

The Chevy does take certain parts specific to the early small-blocks and / or special machine work to allow the valvetrain to live with later cams. Still workin on engineering my later dual point distributor to work with the 265s odd oiling system, but I'm happy as hell with it, to get back on subject.

10. norm ricardo

norm ricardo

11. brad2v

brad2v

Did this statement strike anyone else as odd, considering the board were on?:eek:

12. Not really. His choice is not traditional HAMB style and he knows it. It would be odd if he said the LS6 was trad.

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

If you're installing either engine into a stock wheelbase, full fendered Model A, the firewall will need to be tunneled. Moving the rad ahead looks really goofy. If open wheeled, position the rad, position the engine/trans combo, position the body (no firewall cutting) and lastly, position the rear axle where you like.

14. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

yes it was odd to me.... but it proves my point that this board is turning to shit!
    i say olds...i am kinda biased towards them though. but out of the two choices you provided definatly the y block

15. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

16. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

17. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Between a Y Block and a 265! I'm a Ford guy and those y-blocks produce no power. 265 all day!

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

SBC's are great.

But you'll get a lot of people telling you that you should have used anything but a SBC.

Y-blocks are great.

But you'll get a lot of people telling you that you should have used a SBC.
    ( and sometimes even a real idiot, who thinks that Y-block is a SBC...)

At least, thats the kind of stuff I'd hear when I was driving my SBC and Y-Block powered Hot Rods.

19. I need to be alone with that picture...................you dont have a Hi-Res version I can print out and laminate for cleanliness, do you?:eek:

And to be serious, every time you post that I get closer to selling something to afford those Fentons! Asshole:D

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

No! sounds like he lived the days that all the 20 somethings claim to know about. I don't listen to anyone under 48 when it comes to old cars and old times. I am 48 by the way.

21. Ha! I knew i'd get a rise outta' you if I kept posting that pic on different threads! Was just a matter of time...:)

22. 72IH

72IH

You could you the Y block and have something a little different than all the other SBC cars.

Or... You got a belly button, they got a belly button, why not hang yours out there too like all the others.

Traditional or not I get tired of seeing SBCs in every stinking build I look at. Nothing loses my interest quicker than seeing another belly button engine/trans combo.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

jeez, I dont know, I find it odd. I belong to several boards, as I have a variety of automotive interests, but belonging to a traditional board if you are not interested in traditional cars? that would be like if I joined a fart can import board. But it DOES seem to be very common on the HAMB, there seems to be a lot of guys on here that are very clear that they are not interested in traditional cars.

24. A '56 265 is not a SBC because there was no BBC in '56...

-edit- just to split hairs :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek:Really good point, never thought of it that way!

26. And a 72 International is Traditional to what? The Binder Journal.com? "Plowing the same line and serving famers and ranchers since 82!":rolleyes::D:p

27. klazurfer

klazurfer

Both engines fit the " trad " late fifties / early sixties consept .
    Both engines will look cool & period perfect..
    If you decide to go with the Y , ... Can I buy your 265 ?
    Hard to find over here in Scandinavia ...Hardcore trad !!
    In other words... : Use the 265 ...:)...Or sell it to me ..

Klaz :)

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Don't bother with Y-blocks or any of their vintage speed or dress-up parts. They're JUNK!

Now maybe the prices of parts will go down and I can finish my 292! :D

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

All right you guys,what's happening? I just looked and my calender says it's Friday. Have we changed the rules? Doesn't the traditional/not traditional SBC thread generally start on Tuesday? Your going to throw a lot of members off (myself included) by starting the LOVE/HATE/TRADITIONAL/ NOT TRADITIONAL SBC thread on the start of the weekend. What about those who "traditionally" respond with all of those worn out replies going to think when they get back late Sunday (after a weekend of drunken jocularity) and find out they've missed two days of stale over used drivel and haven't gotten to chime in? I'm thinking a forced course of sensitivity training should be mandatory for anyone who exhibits such a blatant display of callous behavior. I'll pass on the lame opportunity to report all of you to Ryan and let someone else take up the cause and reap the attending attaboys. Whos going to be the hero?

Frank

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jeez thats the first post I have ever read by fab32 that actually made me chuckle a little!:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.