Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowl steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycoupe, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Trust me, something that nice WILL have a market here. Just look at how many of us expresssed interest already!? Trent

2. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

I would like to thank every one for their comments and compliments regarding our steering boxes, but there are a couple of issues to put straight.

They are NOT cast, they are CNC machined, then processed to appear cast.
    They are about two thirds the size of any compatible product.
    They are fully adjustable without the hassle of shimming.
    They have been road tested for over one year, around 8 thousand miles.
    They have a public liability insurance cover making them ROAD legal in every country.

My final point is that of all of you out there in HOTROD land, only an Englishman could have chosen to critisise this thread and to him I say WELL DONE for keeping the side up.

The point of this thread was to let the Hotrod world know that this product exists and that it comes from the Hotrod brothers from over the pond.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ok, so now that all that is out of the way, WE WANT INFO !! ;) :D

4. Modified RHD land Rover Series truck box? Very nice work to convert it. A friend of mine here in PA has a 73 Series ambulance with a similar looking box.

Oops, missed the post about them being custom billet... (can I use that word on here...? :D)

5. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Poo I didn't think about that, still I did say CNC machined and not b*****.
    Not quit right about the altered Rover box, we make everything apart from the Ball screw and ball nut, both of which are quality automotive products. I will be posting photos of the internals, as long as people don't mind them being CNC machined:D:D:D

6. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I want one of those if you start selling them. If I can afford it.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course, but us engineer types like to know so we can design and build our own pitman and steering arms. ;):D:D

I dig it! Can't wait to hear the rest! There needs to be some competition in this market. Schroeder boxes are really nice, but MAN are they spendy!

Would also be interested to hear about mounting, output shaft length (or lengths, if it's selectable), etc.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, the output shaft length thing has me curious too as without having the box and being able to position the column and box I'm curious as to how one would detirmine that output length to put the pitman arm in the right spot outside the cowl.

9. hershambob

hershambob

[​IMG]
    the box as fitted in steves old coupe

10. hershambob

hershambob

11. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Thanks for the photo's Bob,

To answer a question, you need to position a 'Dummy' steering column where you want it inside the car (this is to get the position for width only), take into account the position of pedals and Diameter of the steering wheel.
    When you are satisfied that you have got that right, you need to somehow fix it in position so that you can measure from it's centreline to the cowl side.
    As with other makes, this is the 'custom' fit part of the deal, and the customer must get it right and take resposibility for their accuracy.
    I have an emailable drawing that will be used for customers to write this dimension on and email back to me so that I can make their box.
    But, I have made them for 32 5W, roadster and sedan, 34 3W and a Sprint car, so I do have some dimensions if some one wants to do a 'standard' fitting.
    Again, thank you all for your kind words and compliments, I now intend having one at the L.A Roadster show later in the year (June).

12. So what will the price be
    I'm interested

13. I, for one, am always pleased when a hot rodder sees a demand, steps up to the plate, and puts it on the market. Something like this requires a substantial investment of time and resources and rarely does anyone get rich off of it. Thanks Rusty Coup for making this happen.

Like the others, I am interested in knowing the US delivered price. Not something I need right now. But my mind is always working and you never know what I will decide to do the next time I start a project.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Jeeze Louise... just put the info out there already. :rolleyes:

This is NOT a rant: I'm going to be straight - You're not doing yourself any favors by being cryptic. I guess I'm not patient as Scott and Trent because my interest waned at about the third or fourth turn in this thread.

I'm one of those guys that goes after what I like without begging for info. I work hard for my hot-rod-money and I love buying quality. However, it's easy enough to save some extra bucks and buy something that's proven AND has all the info out there for me to make a choice. That's a market reality.

You came clean and told us you wanted to do some market research, great, now give the "market" the information. I can't see any reason not to.

It looks to be a steller item AND I'd like to know more, I'm sure I am not the only one. This product represents a potential increase in your livelyhood, no? Don't be silly about it.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

By the way, I really dig those mounts, they'd look good fabricated into what we've got planned for my coupe.

16. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, about the cryptic routine, knock it off, please! :rolleyes:

Given that there will be variables in anyone's set-up, for this box as made from input to output, is this a 16:1 ratio? 12:1 maybe? It seems that info would be straightfoward enough.

Price? Without pinning you down, what range are you talking about? $250.00 to $275.00 U.S., plus shipping, depending on finish/polish/anodizing or whatever?

BTW, good looking product, looks like it has some potential. Good luck with it.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

17. Hey Rusty Coupe! Any updates?

18. rustycoupe

rustycoupe
    from England

Sorry it's been so long, the Price is £800 (sorry but due to fluctuating exchange rates I cannot price in Dollars) plus freight.
    They are made to order as far as width is concerned, so I would need the dimension from the centre of the steering column to the outside of the cowl where the pitman arm will be fitted, I am doing an email that you can fill in with the required dimensions.
    There is provision for a column to be welded on and the splines are for a Vega pitman arm, though others do fit.
    There is a choice of finishes that imitate cast Aluminium or for an extra £250 we can supply it polished.
    Thanks everyone for your patience.

19. darkk

darkk

The BIG answer issssss.........
    Roughly $1250. U.S.D. for the unit
    and about $314. U.S.D for the upgrade
    for those that have a few extra dollars laying around doing nothing...

20. I think that is a very fair price for something like that FOB. Shipping from the UK would be expensive and I don't know about Custom's duties.

More than competitive when compared to the adapted competitive product and it has integral provisions for a steering column tube.

Certainly something I would consider for the right project.

What kind of order to delivery time frame are we talking?

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice box, really poor way to present it especially as I did see it way earlier when the first one was made and plans had not even been made to produce them.

It would have been much better if you had been up front with all of us and posted pictures of the first unit I know I had seen previously mocked up in a car and posted in a thread somewhere.

The next disappointment is the length of time this has taken to come about.

The biggest disappointment of all is the price. Yes, it takes a lot of work to bring something like this into being.

And sure a return on the effort is deserved. But the price is too high.

Set the price to a more affordable level and sell a larger number of units and make as much as you want. If the price was more reasonable you would likely have as many orders as you could fill.

A CNC machine will turn out a lot of pieces in a short amount of time once programmed.

Anyway...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  22. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

At that price a Schroeder with their new reduction box is a better deal, about 1/2 price, and it is made in the USA!!!

The last good thing to come out of England was the boat to the United States.

Rex

23. Schroeder, with the reduction gear, is about the same; $1,300 plus an additional $100 for an arm. Installation kit is $650. I'm not a wealthy man by any means. But I would pony up the bucks for one of Rusty Coupe's boxes if it was the right solution for steering in one of my projects.