Register now to get rid of these ads!

**The Hi Lo Hustler** Dragster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51box, Dec 25, 2009.

1. 51box

51box
    from MA

The best was a 6.94 and fastest was 104.90. There is alot more left in it, my 60 foot times suck. The new M&H tires bite really good so it was difficult to launch it hard without it pulling the wheels and then when I come down it didn't want to stay straight so I had to pedal it. It will just take some practice to get used to it compared to the Hurst tires. I'm hoping to get it in the low 6s this year, it has plenty of power to do it.

2. speedbump

speedbump

hi, great project you got going on. i'm in the process of doing one similar to yours. word of caution, santioning bodies don't want you mounting your gas pedal linkage to a bell crank mounted on the mtr. also i believe the vega box has the wrong ratio for a dragster. you may have over steer with it. keep up the great work. mike

3. a coupe

a coupe

The box in the car is a reversed corvair not a vega, and the ratio with a stock lenth pitman arm would be a little loose for the car but the long pitman arm corrects that,

4. 51box

51box
    from MA

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone so the FED is getting a little power upgrade. I got a converted 6-71 from Helger Bros. Speed shop running it 1:1. Hilborn two port injector and switching to alcohol. I'll get some more pics up soon as I make progress. This is going to be interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

WOW!

When I saw you guys run, it was on the pie crusts. With the better rubber, the short wheel base and the horsepower bump your going to have some beautiful views of the clouds. Should be a fun ride.

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Can you handle it, Joe??:D:p

7. 51box

51box
    from MA

I don't know Bill, the thing scared the shit out of me a couple times with just the carbs on it. Hopefully there will be some full smokey 1/8th mile runs in the near future.

8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Nice!!:D That badboy is gonna really haul ass now!!

9. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Nice!!!!...you going to be ready for May??:cool:

10. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Man that is just awsome!

11. 51box

51box
    from MA

I'm not sure Keith, I have a couple set backs I'm trying to figure out. This engine has a factory style roller cam and the bolt spacing on the front of the cam is different then the early cams. They don't make a cam spud to drive the mechanical pump for this style cam so I have to get one machined. There's a couple other small things to deal with but hopefully she will be ready for the first race.

12. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

holy crap, this thing is going to be insane now!

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome!!
    It sounds like you have it all well under control.
    I WILL see you guys and the car in May!!:D

14. Nice Blower!! That thing is going to rock!

15. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Ahhhhhh nothing finer than roostertails of smoke and a blanket of Akron fallout to make your day.

Blind Elwood

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Nice high $$ Strange rear axle and looks mounted up good, but still going to use the GM 3 spd? with a u-joint?
    It gets easy to over power a short old style car once your imagination starts to run away. :)

17. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#89;
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by lippy [​IMG]
    Maybe should start a pic and question answer thread elswhere on slingshots. Lippy
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Definitely.

Aye. Tom S.

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

19. aojo

aojo

Joe.... are you mounting the motor dead level or did you build in a slope?

20. 51box

51box
    from MA

Tom S. I'm not sure what you are implying but that carrier is the cheapest one they sell and those three speeds were widely used even in the blown gas rails. The alignment from trans to rear end was done with dial indicator so it is dead nuts. This chassis and all brackets braces etc are much heavier then needed, so flex is very minimal. I put at least 50 passes on the car last season and nothing went wrong. You have yourself so convinced that running a u-joint doesn't work, well it works perfectly so when you build your dragster run a coupler and have some piece of mind.

21. 51box

51box
    from MA

Aojo, the engine is set only 1 degree down. If I did it again, I would use a Chrysler rear and dump the engine alot more.

22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

And this is what convinced me.
    Tom:71'.jpg

Shelling a C-6 with the safety blanket intact, caused the loss of use of my first cousins left foot. Kept him out of southesat asia though.
    Not trying to criticize, just trying to make a point. $$ well spent for a 3'rd member, why not go ahead and spend 100 more for a coupler from the very same company and save your flesh or of someone watching.
    What has everybody got against couplers?
    Tom S.

23. a coupe

a coupe

What did they forget to tighten the bolts?

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

^^^^
    No. I overpowered a home made coupler that used stock u-joint parts. You know, the kind that are supposed to be used at each end of a drive shaft.
    Tom S.

25. 51box

51box
    from MA

Had to set the injector on....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Figuring out pulley alignment, I'm going to cut these down to run a 2 Inch belt. The crank pulley is going to get spaced out a bit and then I'll cut em down.

26. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Niiice...keep'm coming!! :D

27. a coupe

a coupe

No I don't using a stock u joint would be dumb, using a heavy duty one that is not cross drilled and using a dial indicator and shimming the tailshaft works better,

28. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Geez, and I thought freshening up a flathead was argumentative!:rolleyes::p

29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

30. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

man this thing came out great!