Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a more traditional engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pchop51, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

Thanks for the input everyone. Every mag Ive looked in seems to show a lot of sbc power cars in that era. I think if I had a 3x2 set up for the y block that would be the ticket but edelbrock has not released there y block intake yet and trying to find one isnt going so well. Also anyone know where a guy can get a new preformance cam for a y block.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gotta say 265... Hard to ague with their performance history. 'Course, then again I wouldn't waste money on rebuilding a Y-block...

4. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

...I love sarcasm...makes me feel all tingly inside..

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a 292 in a '55 Fairlane and loved the sound of it.

I ran a 265 in my Nomad for the first 11 of the 20 years I've owned it, and loved that little motor.

I say either way, you can't go wrong. Both cool, both period correct.

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Isky has a line of y block cams. Very easy to pick one up. The rpm 300 and e-4 have a bitchin idle to them. Y-block 3x2 intakes are easy to find online or at any good swapmeet. Also why waste your money fixing up a 265 when a 283-400 can give you the same look but with more performance. Its like a Ford guy using a 221 instead of a 289-302 in something. When was the last time anyone gave a shit about a 221?

7. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

I thought that was funny too. I did a little look on the net they are easier to find then I thought

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Only one guy I know put a Y block in his car, a '53 Merc. By '60 half the '55 Chevy 110s around here had 270 hp 283s in them. And they were fast. Truth is the SBC was very popular in 1960.

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

in 59 or 60 the hot motor would have been a 283 not a 265
    for the Y block the 312 would have been the hot motor not the 292

neither would be more traditional than the other for a 59/60 hot rod, flip a coin or develop your own opinion and run with it

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up in SW Iowa and the only hot rod that I can remember was a 32 Ford coupe and it had a small block Chevrolet in it, that was 1960 or 1961. He sold the car just a few years ago, it had sat in a shed on a farm, the Vette 283 froze and cracked, the car was all steel and I don't think it saw the street after the early 60's.

11. In 1959 the traditional engine would have been a 283, duntov. That was THE engine in my neighborhood.
    Actually what the guys claim as traditional, Nailhead, Olds, Caddy, and Y-Blocks, were non traditional in the day.

12. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

So why does everyone seem to think that the "traditional engines" olds caddy nailheads and so were then. Was it really more like whatever over head valve engine available at the time was the hot ticket?

13. The more traditional hot rod engine would be the lightest one.

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Because those engines were more 50s than 60s.

15. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

I see makes sense

16. rockher_man

rockher_man

I vote for the Y-block...:cool:...grab a tri power, some Smithy's and GO...

Man...when I was looking for a tri power for my small block Ford 302 '70
    block...I ran across Y-block tripple-duce set-ups ALL the time on eBay...

...before I found what I wanted...:D...

But hey...that Model a is pretty light...either or will move it along just
    fine...I guess it depends of what you'r gonna "DO" with the car...

...hhhmmmmmm...

-

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Depending on the car you are transplanting it into, The SBC will be easier. I'm thinking you are fairly new to this. The Y block is a long motor. You may have to cut and modify the firewall to make it fit which can open up a hole can of worms that the shorter SBC avoids. The Y block will get more attention just because it hasn't been done to death.

If you are new to this I'd recommend the SBC. There are so many hotrod parts made for the SBC that it is very easy to build a hotrod with a Chevy. It will end up being a little boring for the old timers but if you build a hotrod that gets done and on the street it sure as hell won't be boring for you. Get the first one done before you reach for the golden ring.

Once it's on the road, then you can try to amass the parts for a more traditional build and you'll have a lot more experience to pull it off.

JMHO

18. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Its sounds to me, with all the choices, that you may need to build 2 cars to really solve this dilemma!

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The famous Mouse Motor!
    The King is dead (flathead) Long live the king (SBC a.k.a. Mouse)

20. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

When did they start drilling up the 283 to 301, now thats a hot rod engine

21. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

Thats funny if I had to I would then the only choice would be which one to drive

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BINGO!!! give HEATHEN the prize. Get your hands on a few magazines from that era and actually see what guys were running in the time period you want the car set in. Late 50's early 60's meant over head valves in one of the choices he presented. Flatheads were still there but loosing ground rapidly.

A Y block with factory aluminum T bird special valve covers and a few chrome trinkets is a great looking engine and with a good set of the right glass packs has one of the best sounding sets of pipes of any engine you will ever hear fire up and rack them off.

23. very eloquent way of cutting through the bullshit i like it

24. smarg

smarg

A never ending cycle of suck..

Simple.

25. Even Ford bailed on the Y block in less than 10 years when they introduced the sbf. The Y block isn't an awful engine, but almost from the git-go they didn't ring the bell of anybody but the most hardcore blue oval loyalist. Believeing otherwise is honest wishful thinking.

26. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Id go with your SBC. if your could afford that engine back then...i doubt you woulda hesitated on it.
    If you were a performance guy at least

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a nice Y block with T-Bird valve covers and 3 carbs is hard to beat in the cool department. what trannies can you bolt to a y-block?

a nice 265 with Corvette valve covers and 3 carbs is hard to beat in the cool department. every trans they made for SBC's will bolt right up.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty close to the truth...

29. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

By the era he's asking about the flathead was already obsolete and rapidly becoming an anachronism. OHV engines were commonplace by then and rodders were using them.

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

They also just happen to be ugly...(oh no he didn't:eek:). The distance from front of valve cover edge to end of water pump is less than appealing...throw all the traditional "fluff" on one and they still don't look as nice as a plain ol' SBC....:D

Whatever ya decide....do not use old magazines as reference....just because it was documented in print does not mean that's how things were actually done.;) Just ask the old timers....haha....

Oh ya..."build what you want", "do it your way", "screw what others think"....blah, blah, blah...and all that other bs that many like to vomit.......as I'm sure those are the responses you really wanted when you started this thread....

Pure championship.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.