Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel pump help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hivolt5.0, Mar 10, 2011.

1. I have a dual action fuel pump on a 312 Y-block in my Ranchero and it is leaking oil. I can't tell if the oil is wicking through the gasket on the bottom portion or if it is coming out of the little holes on the side of pump. The pump itself is just a bit over a year old and there are maybe a thousand miles on it. The Ranchero's been sitting at my buddies house while we work on his '50 F1.

Any ideas on how to solve the oil coming out??? Is the pump bad or can I fix it??

thanks for the help
    David

2. Sounds like crankcase pressure is high.
    Does it have road draft tube? Is it plugged?
    Does it have PCV system? Is the valve stuck?
    Got leaky rings? Does the oil fill breather blow smoke?

Dan

3. It does have a road draft tube but I haven't looked at it. should I take it off/ apart and clean it out to see if that helps???

The rings are good, no smoke out of the exhaust pipes

I haven't noticed if the oil fill breather blows smoke.

4. I took the road draft tube off and cleaned it, made sure the small tube was clear. The screen is pretty nasty, but I don't have another one. I cleaned off the fuel pump and took it for a spin and oil is still coming out of the little holes on the side of the fuel pump.

5. Replace the pump---bad diaphragm.
    The weep holes will either weep oil from the crankcase or gasoline.
    The holes act as a vent when the diaphram does its thing,& if its torn or has a small hole,it will let fluids out.Dont try puting a screw in the hole.
    You might get away with it for awhile,but picture what could & will happen.
    If I remember right those are dual diaphram pumps.
    Good luck man

6. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

7. Thanks for the help guys! Hard to believe a practicially brand new pump has to be replaced. The pump that was on the Ranchero when I bought it started spewing gas from the vent holes (both inside the crank case and outside the motor) so I replaced it with this one and now it's leaking oil. Such is life I suppose.

David

8. When I was in the trade as a general mechanic,we had a chevy PU (350 stocker) came in that was a no start.
    The fuel pump was not pumping so the guy in the stall next to me replaced it.
    When he tried to start it(after it got fuel to the carb)there was a monster explosion,,louder than hell with a huge vapor cloud..
    The oil pan had so much fuel in it,when the engine started it ballooned the oil pan,and blew the drivers side valve cover OFF the head,past the 4 bolts,& past the egr valve,,,plug wires kept it from flying..
    Seems that combustion gases/fire got past the rings,into crankcase & blew some shit up.
    Needed a new pan & valve cover.
    SO---fuel pumps WILL leak fuel into the crankcase & you wont even know it.

9. I bet that had to clean his shorts after that! Good grief!

The first fuel pump that went bad on my Ranchero did squirt gas into the oil, I could smell it when I pulled the dip stick out and my oil pressure was getting low as I was trying to get the thing home. I changed the oil after replacing the first fuel pump. With this second pump squirting oil out, I check the oil from the dip stick and it was about 2 quarts low; I didn't smell any gas but I'll be sure to double check it.

Several years ago I had an O/T 88 Bronco II that had a bad computer. It was dumping fuel into the cylinders which leaked past the rings and into the crankcase. There was like 3 quarts of gas in my oil pan. It also sucked gas into my brake booster and ruined the diaphram in it too. Fortunately no huge explosions and I was able to get it all fixed and replaced the computer.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd still take and wash everything of and check it close before swapping the pump. I've seen several over the years that leaked gas out or into the oil pan and that's a big deal that has to be dealt with then and there but the oil leak isn't quite as big a deal and you need to clean the oil off and then run it and check to see where it is coming from and then if the pump is leaking the oil replace it or replace the gasket if that is the problem.