Register now to get rid of these ads!

´50 merc disc brake swap. What rotors fatmanfab uses?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tomste, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Tomste

Tomste

I´m thinking of doing a disc brake swap on my ´50 merc and i would like to find out what rotors with 5x4.5" bolt circle will fit on ´49-51 merc spindle?

Fatmanfab sells a kit (made by ECI brakes,but i dont find a kit meant for 49-51 mercs at their site??) which has rotor with 4.5" bc and i´d like to find out what rotors they are using? And there´s also a mention that spindle have to be machined somehow. Does anybody know how is it machined?
    I might be able to do the machining by myself but first i have know what to do with it? :D
    I´m able to make my own caliper brackets also,i just need to know what parts do i have buy to make it work.

I´m going to swap a ´71 mustang 8" with posi and 3.55:1 gears,that´s why i want 4.5 bc rotors so i have to keep only one spare tire in my trunk.

I also know that jamco sell´s a kit that has original 5.5" bc but it does not work with dropped spindles they´re selling. Caliper hits upper control arm and i would still have to make custom caliper brackets for it.
    Heres a link so you can see what´s the problem:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349439

Tomste

2. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

your spindle has to be machined to fit the rotor there isnt any thats a direct fit for your merc
    thanxs
    alex

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

In 2003 I bought the complete Fatman front brake dropped spindle and disc brake kit.The Fatman catalog I have says that the Ford 4 1/2 bolt circle disc brake kit (for 49-51 Mercs) uses 1976-81 Aspen /Volare/Diplomat rotor and 1970-77 Camaro/Firebird calipers. Your stock Merc spindles have to be machined to accept the rotor bearings, etc. At that time you could exchange spindles with Fatman. You could give him a call and find out who did the machining.
    Also call ECI (860-872-70460 and speak with owner Ralph Lisena to see if he can get your spindles machined. However, I am pretty sure there is a company now making disc brake kits for Mercs that require no machining.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

thanxs 19Fordy
    you still can exchange spindles with fatman

5. Tomste

Tomste

Hi Alex and 19Fordy.
    This is just the kind info i was looking for!
    I found bearing sizes from rockauto.com,volare has smaller bearing bores than mercury,i guess that´s it what needs to be machined. I´ll have to see how i could get spindle fixed in a lathe.

Tomste

6. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

We had been doing these conversions for a lot of years but several years ago we decided to give it up because the spindle exchange got out of hand. Fatman took over the spindle exchange grief so we now do the machine work on his spindles, make the caliper brackets, and drop ship the kits from here. I can still do a kit for you but you have to send us your spindles. It could take a week or so to get to them so if your in a hurry go through Fatman. A lot of guys want there original spindles back so it takes some time. We do the 4-1/2, 4-3/4, and 5-1/2 inch bolt circles. Call me if you like 860-872-7046. P.S. There's a lot more to it than just the outer bearing. Ralph

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I did the JAMCO kit, worked well. there is an production inner bearing that fits. You use and outer production bearing, they provide you with a sleeve that slides over your stock spindle, and you use 5x 5.5 rotors.

8. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

We are currently working on designing new caliper brackets for both the Ford and Mercury kits that will work with the drop spindles. For the Mercury cars, it will have the 5.5" bolt pattern just like it currently does. The Ford will retain the 4.5" pattern.

9. Tomste

Tomste

ECIGUY: I think it will cost too much for me to send my spindles to USA,have them machined by you and them ship them and everything else back here. :(
    Do you sell machined spindles without having mine?

hottweelz:
    Re-designed caliper brackets sound good,because your recent brackets wont work with dropped uprights,it was one reason why i was thinking making my own set. When they will be available?

Tomste

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any good machine shop should be able to modify the spindles if you have the dimensions you need and that is primarily the inside diameter of the inner bearing cone. They can also make the sleeves for the outer bearing or you may be able to find bearings that match.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  11. Tomste

Tomste

Mr48chev: I consider myself a "good machine shop" :D I´ve been a CNC-machinist for over 13 years now.

It´s the dimensions and "know how" i´m looking for. Btw,I managed to find a used Aspen rotor and bearings,i´ll take measurements of them after i have them in my hands.

So,i quess there is no rotor available with 4.5" bc which could be used WITHOUT machining the spindle? I mean that i could make spacers between spindle and inner bore.

I already tried ´77 ranchero rotor,it could be mounted on spindle with spacers but the track width would be way too wide,so that wont work.

Tomste