Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '50 Ford Project - New Engine and Trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Out with the old

[​IMG]

A moment of silence for my well worn, usually well behaved flathead.

[​IMG]

The old flathead will be surely missed....but not for long...

This is whats going back in

.120 bore with a 4" stroke Merc crank.

[​IMG]

Dosen't seem right to drop that nice motor in front of a wore out non-syncro 3 speed, so a T5 swap is in order as well. The plan (I say plan because I don't know if it's gonna work) is to run an S-10 T5.

I ordered a rebuild kit from Hanlon Motorsports. Haven't put it to use yet but they were more than helpful on the phone and it seemed the kit arrived the next day....not to mention, it came with a free pen :D

[​IMG]

Once again "the plan", is to use the stock flywheel and 9 1/2" pressure plate with a stock 9 1/8" S-10 disc.

[​IMG]

Slight problem though, the clutch disc springs hit the flywheel. The calipers show the diameter of the opening in the center of the flywheel.

[​IMG]

Solution? Open up the center of the flywheel approx. 1/4" so everything clears.

[​IMG]

I'm gonna use thin head flywheel bolts as well. I checked the stock ones with some clay and they appeared to have clearance but I figured better safe than sorry.

Working on cleaning up the engine bay until the rest of my parts arrive.

[​IMG]

That's all I got for now, more progress as it happens...

2. glmke

glmke

good luck!

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sounds like a GREAT plan ... I like it !

4. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

It looks good. How are you guys coming on the chevy truck?? That motor is gonna look good in there.

5. Go, baby, go. Looks great, Dan.

6. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

X2--Time waits on no man. Take these opportunities when you have them and you'll have no regrets.:)

7. The '61 went to the paint shop last week. Got to get all my projects caught up before it gets back :eek:

I'd trade my hair for more tools and cars anyday :)

Thanks Dave, that's the way I got it figured. Got the time and resources to do what I enjoy so I better get to doing it.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

9. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

When I saw your topic I thought one more 302 swap. It made my smile when I saw the flathead pic. Even if original gearbox works well T5 will be like from the other planet. Hats off Dan!

10. That little flattie looks like its going to be real sweet in your 50 - nice start on a great project!

11. You're living the dream, Dan!

12. Thanks guys!

Got my engine bay primed and painted today. Came out fairly decent for what it was, about a "5 footer" :D

[​IMG]

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

You da man....Dan!

Keep us posted.

Rich

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The engine bay looks much more tidy now

15. Started my trans. rebuild today.

A 1988 S-10 T5 I got off the local Craigslist.

[​IMG]

Oooooooh, look at all the shiney parts :eek:

[​IMG]

Got the case and tail shaft all cleaned up, cluster back in, and the fifth/reverse slider thingy back in.

[​IMG]

As well as the input shaft cleaned up and bearings replaced.

[​IMG]

16. So, Dan, I've read that you can upgrade a non world class T5 with all the world class goodies when you rebuild it. Any truth to that? How much was the rebuild kit? How much would you charge for a rebuild?

17. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Have you ever rebuilt a trans like this before? Did the kit come with a step by step ? Do you need any special tools?

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

This is a nice little how-to!!! Keep it going, love it!!! :D

19. Not sure about upgrading it to world class. If it could be done, I think you'd have to replace the entire main shaft assembly since the world class one uses bearings and the non world class does not.

For the cost of a core, I'd just start with a world class trans. The non world class rebuild kit was $179 and some change I belive. The world class rebuild kit was around $225. Not to bad considering my local trans. guy qouted me $1,500 to rebuild mine :eek:

You better make sure I get this one back together before talking about doing yours ;) I've been keeping track of the hours involved though and will let you know.

Nope, never rebuilt any trans. before. Hanlon Motorsports sells an AWSOME step by step DVD on how to rebuild one, best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time! Besides your basic hand tools and sockets, you're gonna need a decent sized shop press and various pieces of round tubing for pressing bearings on and off. Need a good set of snap ring pliers as well.

Thanks man!

Your best bet is to get a copy of the rebuild DVD from Hanlon. It covers it WAY better than I ever could with a few pics and some text. Plus it shows you what good and bad parts look like, etc.

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I've got a big 'ol Pratt & Whitney rotary table the size of yours- heavy sucker, ain't it? :eek:

21. Definite two person job picking it up! It lives on a 2x4 on the shop floor for now...killed the shelf it was on :rolleyes:

22. You should love that tranny behind your new engine. We did the same thing in our roadster. T-5 (a non WC from a 1988 S10 ) with engine outa a '49 truck. Used the truck flywheel and pressure plate with an Astro van disc. We also had to open up the center of the flywheel a wee bit. NAPA thin head flywheel bolts.

Our tranny was in great shape so we didn't rebuild it - but we were ready to. Picked up a great video "How to rebuild the Tremec T5 Transmission" from www.BadShoeProductions.com. Very informative....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  23. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Glad you kept the Flathead...

24. Thanks for the link! I see they have one on a 9" Ford rear rebuild, I'll have to order that one up for the rear in my F-1.

Can't wait to drive it! I'm gonna have to lose a few pounds in the car to keep up with your 10 extra cubes though :cool:

25. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Nice work Dan you always have a nice project in the works. We need to get you drinking more or something so you slow down on the projects.

26. Disassembled the main shaft yesterday and decided that the 1-2 slider was to chewed up re-use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ordered a new one from Hanlon and it showed up next day (today) so I was able to continue working on it.

Checking the main shaft for straight. Nothing fancy, just a couple v blocks and a dial indicator. Acceptable run out is from .001 up to about .010 Mine came in at .004

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main shaft after rebuild

[​IMG]

Then back in the trans. it goes.

[​IMG]

5th gear assembly re-built and installed

[​IMG]

New taill shaft bushing and seal before re-attaching the tailshaft

[​IMG]

All back together. Shifts nice and smooth on the bench...hope it works once it's in the car! :eek:

[​IMG]

Everything that got replaced

[​IMG]

I left out a TON of steps/info like checking & adjusting cluster and main shaft endplay, syncro assembly, 5th gear assembly, etc. so don't try and rebuild a trans. with what little info is here :D

27. Either that or I need more projects :confused::D

Hows your truck coming along?

28. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

The truck is at a halt, going to attempt to redo the rear brakes this weekend and maybe try to do the timing to at least get it running. Need to but a little work into the harley as well so its all crazy.

29. Got a few more pieces back on the motor. Gonna run the Offy heads until I'v got time to get my Edmunds heads decked and polished.

Got the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate together and test fit the trans.

[​IMG]

I'm using ARP flywheel bolts because they have a thinner head than the stock bolts. Had to shorten them up a bit though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pilot bushing from Speedway

[​IMG]

My Edmunds intake was looking a little dirty after a couple years use so I cleaned it up a bit. When I put my Edmunds heads on I'm gonna polish it up as best I can.

[​IMG]

Dropped the motor back in as well.

[​IMG]

Next up is put the trans. in so I can make the crossmember and clutch linkage. It goes to the exhaust shop on Weds. so that's all got to be done by then :eek:

Once it comes back I gotta pull my trans. back out so I can get my throwout bearing adapted. Don't think I'll have time before Weds. to get it done.

My goal is to drive it to the Joe Smith Early Ford open house on April 2nd. Do you think I can get it all back together in 14 days? :eek::confused: