Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. my59fins

my59fins

boondocks was originally the Peoira drag strip, started in middle 50's, changed hands in late 70's. used to be a fun place to race and party.

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

In '64-'65 I was stationed in Biloxi,Ms. On Saturday afternoons we would go to a little strip about 20 miles or so northeast (I think) of town, and we would run well into the night. Some light bulbs were strung along the dirt return road. Can't recall a name for the place, but we saw a lot of famous cars (for the time) run there. Garlits, Little Red Wagon, Connie Swingle, Hemi Under Glass. Haven't ever been back, but what a lot of great memories!!!

3. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

In Denver there was Thunder Road/Denver International raceway that was located at the time in the middle of nowhere.. And Century 21 (east of Denver out towards the plains) that was AHRA and had a stock car track as well. That went under after about 2 years and the tracks, tore up bleachers and some other stuff are still there.. And nothing has built around it...Only one really left in Denver is Bandimere....

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

A remaining relic from Lions that showed up at GNRS this passed January. I understand that it currently resides in Ridgecrest, California.

[​IMG]

Kurt Ljungkvist likes this.
  5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Spectated at a night match race between Big Daddy and Sneaky Pete Robinson at Deland Fl airport Feb '70, Thurs or Fri night of Speedweek. IIRC single old time search light mounted on the back of a flatbed pointed down the runway for illumination, got a little dim down in shutdown, first time I had seen a fire burnout, wild!

Understand Garlits had also run at the Zephyrhills Fl airport in the early days.

6. matt Delio

matt Delio

I was stationed at ft. dix before i went to vietnam, Just accross Texas ave. sat McGuire AFB. the first runway was used as a dragstrip,"McGuire Strato Rods" from 1966 to 1983. An excellent place to run a street car, or low buck dragster, or homemade altered. We spent many a sunday trying to win one of those little trophies or a couple of bucks. Just a couple of arguments and shouting matches. They put on a MARCH OF DIMES meet once a year.with a top prise of $1,000(500to the winner 500 to the march of dimes, presented to the poster child, pretty neat!! sigh the good old days. Later, Matt. p.s. anybody got any pics. from back then?:confused:

7. OkieValkyrieRider

OkieValkyrieRider

Yes I raced at both of them in 1968. Willow Run was on the east side of OKC at I-40 and Choctaw Road, it was sanctioned by NHRA. Sun Valley was on the west side of OKC at I-40 and Council Road it was an AHRA track.

8. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

9. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow I just found this link as well for all of you local houston racers,some awesome shots of international and eastex check them out....http://www.houstonarearacing.com/index.php?topic=22232.30
    By the way Pink's all out is going to be out at Houston Raceway this Friday and Saturday.I will be checking it out on Saturday.

Muncie

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

We lost our neighborhood drag strip here near Dallas Georgia. Seems they sold the land to a developer that couldn't get the OK to do what ever it was he wanted to do. But being that it was closed it lost the "grandfather" status and can not be a drag strip again.

11. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

a couple of closed tracks that were in this area. First one is the old Richmond Dragway in Richmond, KY, second is the former Bluegrass Dragway, now an industrial park

Attached Files:

12. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I went out last weekend and took a few pics of both Howland Drag strip and Meander, which was also known as Youngstown and Ohio's Drag City.

These pics are of Howland. I'd read it was narrow, but until you stand there and look at it you don't realize how narrow. We didn't get enough pictures so we'll be going back. I also read that the first 100 feet are concrete so these pics are looking from the starting line. I think it more or less survives in it's entirety, length wise. I'd like to find out more about it like who built it and why it closed down in the heyday of drag racing. Also, was there a tower there? There's sort of a tower in the Sept '58 pic but it may not be permanent. I lifted the old pic off the net somewhere so thank you to whoever it belongs to. I'd sure love to see more of those.

I would also like any info on any more lost dragstrips in Ohio and PA. I'm going to try and get pics of all of their remains before they're completely gone. Addresses or the roads they were on would be great.

Oh, yeah, where was Pence's? I know it was in Sidney but where exactly?

Kevin

Attached Files:

13. Big Jay

Big Jay

Here is what it was like to watch fuelers at Lions. We didn't need no stinkin ear plugs. Whatha say??:D

[​IMG]

Kurt Ljungkvist likes this.
  14. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Fatkoop That little track outsude of BiloxiMs was Gulfport Raceway 1/8mile raced there once in early 80s

15. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

It's ironic that two tof the best known Georgia strips, in their day, are remembered for fatalities...
    Southeastern Int'l (Dallas, Ga.) was where Richard Petty (when racing his 43jr Hemi '64 Barracuda) stood up and the starting line and went into the crown and killed a young boy...Raced there many a time...had a steep uphill approach to the starting line that require a line-loc or a real good heel and toe driver!! Remember the starter there telling me "no neutral starts" with my '69 383 "Cuda...I was thrilled..IT WAS A 4 SPEED CAR, just didn't have a gear in it yet and was going though the lights in third!!They thought it was an automatic!
    Yellow River Drag Strip, where I cut my teeth drag racing, was the site where the 12 already mentioned herein, were killed by a funny car accident. That car was owned and driven by Huston Platt, brother of Ford Icon Hubert Platt. Not many know that these days, or remember the Platt Brothers.

16. hemislave

hemislave

Hey, do any of you WVA. H.A.M.B.ers remember the track at Winfield, I think it was riverside raceway? if you all have pics post them please. Might see the 62 plymouth my dad raced there. I think it would be about 69 or 70. thnx.

17. flthd

flthd

These are some current pictures of U.S 30 in Hobart IN. I made it there when I was little then we'd go to the A W stand in portage, Id lay in bed and listen to them cars allnight.Assholes shut it down:(

Attached Files:

18. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

here is some pics of spartanburg dragway s.c. on 11/28/10 pavement is still under all [​IMG]those leaves

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

So, what would it take, in detail, to open up a track? Yes, i know money and lots of it. But besides that?

What "opposition"/regulatory, zoning things and ways to get around that?

20. Do you have any pictures you could post? My late cousin Dave Costanza ran a fuel altered 65' Corvette out there at Avilla back in the 70's.

21. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

A giant pile of money would handle it all. Money can squash opposition and buy exemptions to regulations/zoning. Provided the opposition has less of it.

All in all it'd be a good way to make a small fortune. As long as you start with a large one. I know, I know, old joke, but it fits here.

Bringing back an old strip can be done. The first strip I ever went to (1964 or '65) was Magnolia Dragway in Magnolia, Ohio. It closed down in '77 or so and reopened sometime in the '90's and is still going strong.

22. vwhugger

vwhugger
    from Gordon, WI

I used to race there also in '68 and '69 and won some trophies too. I ran a '68 Camaro SS 350 (dark green with white stripes) slightly warmed over in C-Mod Prod.

Just curious who he is. Maybe I know him.

John

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

After meeting with the current owner and getting permission I went out to look at the Drag Race facility and took some photos and video. The owner never said no to the idea of reopening but it would take $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and co-operation from the community, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have:D Anyway enjoy the video and I post some of the still photos later. Rocky

24. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

merry christmas rocky good to see raisin city again

25. Z28#107

Z28#107
    from florida

26. dynamite

dynamite

I first started drag racing in New Jersey at Flemington drags,,I know it's been closed since the sixties...does anyone have any pictures from there ??

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  27. I worked at Pocono Drag Lodge near Wilkes-Barre PA which closed in 1972. August 6 th, 2011 will be our third reunion at the track, for more see Friends of Pocono Drag Lodge social group here on the HAMB.

28. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Onondaga was my home track in the 60s I saw Art Afrons run there. The only time I remember a lack of shutoff was EJ Potter and the Bloody Mary having an issue with a stuck throttle he unloaded but bike just kept on going mowed down trees. Maybe we didn't know any better but Top Fuel ran there Connie Kalitta was a frequent runner there. We had some kick Ass Super Stocks Ramchargers, Serbay Motors Mad Moose Bill Goodwin of JR Headers had a 64 Dodge called the Raven also had match races by touring pros I remember Gas Ronda and his thunderbolt Arnie the Farmer Beswick raced there quite a bit. I raced everything I drove including my dads 1957 Olds but had most success with my 1966 425 horse Vette spent many a Sunday at Onondaga one of the best announcers got his start there he's on here. Jon Lundberg. We had quite a few racers that became famous besides Kalitta Dick Griffin with his Turbo Corvair cut quite a swath. Dick Lahaie and his Sugar Cookie also raced there often. As stated earlier in this thread there was an attempt to reopen on a limited basis even had OK from the county board. But the neighbors complained so loudly that the county said they would have to reconsider haven't heard anything in a few months I'm guessin it won't happen! Gawd memories just keep comin Onondaga was one of first tracks that the Swiss Cheese Pontiacs ran There was a car club from Adrian named Asphalt Angels that fielded quite a few cars including a then new 62 Impala 409. As Archie said "Those Were The Days"

29. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Anyone else ever locate any more photos/videos of Beardstown Illinois/Boondocks(Greater Peoria Dragway)/Oswego Il..or Assumption(Motion Dragway)??..?