Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A question about white running boards.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevinsrodshop, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Looking at some old pics from the 50s and I noticed white running boards were popular back then. Was it just a trend or any reason for that? Also was it paint or fabric of some sort usually?

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had a friend paint the running boards on his '40 with white house paint. Whenever they got dirty he just repainted them.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Very early 60's there was some white rubber mat strip that we used on a Modal A,like we'd seen done before.

4. I remember seeing a lot of padded Naugahyde running boards back then, I had a 32 coupe with padded diamond pattern Naugahyde running boards. Most of what I remember had matching top inserts with them.

5. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Funny how technically a padded running board is traditional yet almost nobody does it today. I like the look for a 50s show car but would I build a car today that had that.....I cant say for sure.

6. brad2v

brad2v

Yeah, I think I I like the look of the white padded ones you see in old magazines, on OTHER peoples cars. I tend to not wear white shirts either. :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I like white on many different things but the slightest thing touches it and it shows up like a big grease spot on a new white T shirt ! If you do use white on running boards remember to carry a few cans of white spay cans to touch up the bad spots . Easy fix I must say !

Retro Jim

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Most people don't have the balls to put white upholstery on the outside of thier cars. I for one think it's awesome. My model a is gonna get silly. White vinyl everywhere..

9. S.F.

S.F.

yes, it was popular.... but everyone now is all afraid of getting it dirty. From what Ive heard the old timers say..."it was the cool thing to see who could keep it the cleanest" white painted inner fenders were popular too. It was all about who had the cleanest car man...

10. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i plan on having the running boards on my 38 done in black, and the ones on the model a in white, i started a thread a while back about this and it died in a hurry.....? anyone got pics ?

11. Soreback

Soreback

A guy I knew in the 60's had rolled and pleated white running boards on his 36 ford. They snapped on/off. It looked good and matched the boat flake red paint and matching white interior.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think that there were more than a just few of us that didn't like it then so we are not inclined to bring it back today. I always thought that they looked stupid. JMO Just because it was once done doesn't mean that it should be brought back.:D