Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week - Flames Made EASY!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

"Why Not Just Use Vinyl"
    I think this would be a easy answer.
    Because it wouldn't turn out to look like that!!!
    If he hadn't did a tech on it, and we had just seen it on the street, nobody would have known that it was done with stencils, instead of freehand.
    I think it turned out great, and looks just right!!
    Thanks for the tech, I may just try this myself.

2. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

oooooh , now I am get'n jealous! ;)

3. ironpile

ironpile

Good job,makes me think I could do it too..I suppose patience is very important.

4. Greezeball

Greezeball

X2 it's obvious an eye for the layout and connection of the stencils is important so it dosen't end up looking like a stencil job. Very well done. And as far as having the striping on top of the clear, that would be my preference as well because it's then obviously real hand laid striping and not part of the spray done with masking. Just looks right IMO. Very cool flames.

5. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

6. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Bingo. The results speak for themselves. If it's real paint and it looks good and you can't tell if he free-handed it or used a commercially bought stencil, then what difference does it make?

Yeah, it does look pretty good, doesn't it?

:cool:

I might have used a few more colors in the flames, myself, but of course that's a matter of artistic discretion and the important lesson here was in how he got the layout, not in his color choices.

;)

7. sololobo

sololobo

Very nice tech post, "dirty deeds done dirt cheap", excellent pix and instructions. The bubble top coupe looks super sweet in the show pix. Had a 49 Olds bubble top which I long for a plenty when I see a beauty like yours. Thanx bro, ya done real good, even I.B. with his excellent "super clean style" is diggin on it. You da man! ~sololobo~

8. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I've used AutoAir colors on a car before. The red paint faded to pink after 3 years. I wrote them showed them photos, they never responded. I hope it does not do the same to you, it would be a shame.

9. i've been using AAC exclusively for a little over 5 years with absolutely no problems or complaints.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Never been much of a flame fan, but your has just gone a long way to changing that!!! A couple of questions though. Is the base on that car AAC as well? I really like the concept of that paint because I have some severe allergies to most solvent based paints. I did try it once a couple of years ago, and no matter how I reduced it, what pressure I shot it at, no matter what I did it wouldn't lay down flat. Have you ever ran into this deal?

11. yes the whole car is AAC.

in my experience, the standard AAC will always go down with a little 'texture' to it.

the biggest issue i see with most users, is that they expect the product to act like urethane, which it is not. you really have to throw out everything you know and learn a new process, or rather adjust your expectations of 'how its supposed to be'

i usually shoot at around 40 psi with 3/8 fittings and lines reduced at 9:1 with 4011 reducer.

that being said, AAC has a new formulation which does spray a little more like production paint, however right now its only in limited production color wise.

the reason i love this stuff is that it has none of the finicky attributes of urethane.

i truly believe that if you learn to use the product the way it is intended, ANYONE can use this stuff with exceptional results.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thank you very much! But, that leads to more questions... Do you simply bury the "texture" with clear? Or do you do some sort of technique to knock it down? I don't mean to hijack your thread, but these are questions that I would like to have answered, and I haven't found anyone locally that has shot a bunch of this. This product has got to make you life easier legally over in your neck of the woods, right?

13. i use a high solids clear which generally buries everything.
    this product really has enabled me to do things that i don't think i'd be doing otherwise.

not to mention the fact that you're not going to get iso poisoning from shooting it.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

BINGO! alteredpilot, Do you mind if I P.M. you with another question? Like I said before, I don't want to Hijack your thread.

15. feel free, but remember, info is good for everyone.

16. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

LOVE IT.... thanks for sharing!

17. sweet flame job! "so easy a caveman could do it!" hahahah!

18. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I've had great success spraying it on bicycle paint jobs. But the stuff I sprayed 6 years ago was lacking. Maybe it was a bad batch, or new formula. It was a custom mix for me, but faded bad after a few years in the sun. I'm glad it worked well for you. I've seen other cars that looked magnificent with it. I'm just worried about longevity on large panels like hoods and trunk lids.

I must admit it is easy to spray which is why I don't mind painting bicycles with it. I love the multiple dust coatings it takes. It makes me slow down and examine what I am doing. I also use a heat gun between coatings to further dry the paint.

Do you use a heat gun on the car?

19. actually, AAC cures due to air movement. i use a professional grade, salon quality blow dryer and or big fans. more volume than a heat gun AND the benefit of the warm air. the reason i dont use a heat gun is that if you're not careful, you can heat set the top of the paint without it being cured underneath which can result in a delamination somewhere down the line.

20. Ballageddon

Ballageddon
    from NorCal

Looks sharp. Might have to give it a whirl.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

22. WOW ! That looks wonderful nice job

23. flamed32

flamed32

great piece of work, and great way make your car unique.

24. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

when i first started reading this, i rolled my eyes and said how cheesy is this gonna be? well,its awsome! if you didn't tell us how you did it,i would never have guessed it was stenciled. cant even imagine how much time you saved. GREAT JOB!

25. zomb1e

zomb1e

thats SMOKIN hot!!!!