Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine selection for a 39 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choggie, Mar 9, 2011.

1. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

I would like to get some ideas for a engine for my 39 Ford. I really don't want to go with a 350 Chevy, or a 302 Ford, or a flathead. I was thinking of a big block Ford. Has anyone done this and if so what kind of problems am I going to run into? Like I said I would like to keep it a Ford in a Ford but if I can't what other kind of engine will fit without major surgery? Any info will help. Thanks Choggie

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This little 389 Pontiac actually displaces 462 inches and puts the beat down on all the Chevvie motors. Fits right in there too.

[​IMG]

Good luck, -Abone.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more thing...these little coupes seem to be tight on radiator room in the front. The radiator pretty much has to be in the right spot, so the engine has to go backwards. Not usually a big deal, but definately something to keep in mind when building motor mounts/firewall.

Also, my upper engine hose was almost level with the upper radiator bung, so a mechanical fan wasn't gonna happen. (would have cut the radiator hose in half) One more thing to keep in mind.

If you want my vote and you just HAVE to have a Ford engine...Check out an FE. They are much better looking than a 429/460 and can make gobs of power.

Good luck, -Abone.

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The engine compartment is big enough to put a Hemi in it, so go with whatever floats your boat.

5. jmh

jmh

Caddy!! John

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

283 chevy fits great

7. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

I think the 390 to 427 Ford engines are all FE engines. Yes I would love to put one of these in my car,but so far nobody said they have done this. I had a 390 in a 63 Ford that I had in 65 but now that I'm 64 I can't remember just how fast it was. You could smoke the tires and get as many speeding tickets as you wanted. I had a 500 Caddy engine in a 73 Eldorado but it seems like that engine was real wide. Well I'll see what else comes up for choices. Thanks Choggie

8. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

225 slant six:cool:

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Could use a nice stroked 351w , Fe 390 , but the 429 & 460 's are anchors ! I have 2 of them and went back to a SBF . An Fe with a 427 crank and good heads would be a ball buster for sure in a light weight car ! I do rebuild Ford engines and there is nothing wrong with a sb 302 or 351w . Easy to get and parts are cheap .
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I agree, ford in a ford. I think i might go with the flathead, lot of good hotrod parts for em now .
    MY $.02

11. i wouldn't have guessed you would have said a ford. are you ok?

12. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I say Y block!;)

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Lincoln Y-block is what he meant!

Olds, Nailhead, Caddy would be my top three choices

14. George G

George G

I'm putting a nailhead in mine.

15. fatkoop

fatkoop

When I was in high school, a friend had a '40 coupe with a 348/409 (can't remember which). THAT car was impressive. I fell in love with '39/40's right then and I haven't recovered yet! Anything from a nailhead, to a hemi to an early olds or caddy would also do your car justice.

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

The biggest problem with running a later Ford engine in a `35- `40 Ford is the front mounted oil pump to front crossmember clearance. So the question is: will you be running stock type front suspension? If you are then the fix is not nearly as horrible as people will try to make you think. First virtually any Ford engine you choose will have a rear sump pan available. Do that, get a rear sump pan on your engine if it does'nt already have one. Now as for the front crossmember..... as we know the transverse front spring is located in the channel formed by the front crossmember. Not to worry, it is not too difficult to simply lower the bottom of the crossmember down the 1 1/2"- 2" you need to to clear the pan. What you are trying to duplicate is the configuration of the `41- `48 crossmember which is deeper than the earlier ones. Yes you will have to cut a little extend and reweld but it is not that bad. Much less work than trying to hack out a firewall. Since your new spring location is lower by the amount you dropped the crossmember simply check your rise height when finished. A heavier engine may bring it back to normal ride height. Chances are you will have to "de- arch" the spring a little by removing some leaves or having it flattened out by a spring repair and fabricator.

The other main issue is engine length. The 289,302,351W and the 429, 460 Ford engines are pretty long. In the case of the smaller engines there are short accessory drive systems available from the aftermarket or Ford Racing. In addition you can use the setup that came on the `94- `95 Mustang and `91- `95 T- bird and any 5.0 powered Explorer. These front cover/ water pump systems will actually make your Ford shorter than an sbc. On the big engines that is not going to work. The only way you can do a 429- 460 swap with a stock firewall is to use a readily available marine water pump eliminator and run the actual pump remotely. This can be done by using the increasingly popular electric style or by a belt driven auxillary pump.

I am not familiar with a Y- block or FE swap into these cars. Both of these engines are not excessively long. The Y- block may not require a modified crossmember since it has a rear mounted oil pump and a rear sump pan on the trucks and T- bird versions.

You will find that Ford engines are not excessively heavy for their physical size. Fords are built with the maximum strength with a minimum weight strategy. Some of the the other manufacturer's powerplants in `50's- `60's era are millstones by comparison.

17. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Meds were'nt kickin in right at that moment.

18. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

I have a Mustang 2 front end already installed. I also had a big block firewall installed . I'm trying to make something different than the normal 350 Chevy. I saw a 392 Hemi installed in a 40 but it was a sloppy job and it looked terrible the way the guy butchered the firewall and had the engine pushed so far back into the interior of the car. The seat had to be moved back and had little room inside. Thanks Choggie

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If you have MII front already, a crossmember should be fairly easy, and with a rack you can run the steering where you want. A nice crossmember is the one from an early Galaxie, round tube with pedestals, and you can use factory mounts. Sanderson street rod headers might fit

20. Heo

Heo

FE or Y-block

21. 53mercury

53mercury

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

23. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

I still haven't heard from anyone who has a 390 FE engine in their car. Is this because it won;t fit, or has nobody ever thought of it or tried it? I also might have a 331 Hemi in the works that might fit. I saw the post of a Desoto Hemi in a 40 Ford. It looks like a real tight fit but it's in there. Any more ideas out there? Thanks Choggie

24. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

I haven;t heard from anyone running a FE engine in a 39 or 40 Ford. I would like to know if this engine fits or not without major surgery. I have a M2 front suspension already installed and a big block firewall installed also.Now it's a matter of is the engine too wide or has nobody attemped this swap. Once I know for sure that it will fit I'll have to find one but I don't think that will be a big problem. Thanks Choggie

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

That later model short pump is not the only option,Speedway has the both the 28oz and 50oz balancers part# 91015365 in the early 1965-69 length,these have both 3 & 4 bolt bolt patterns so you can run the early short length water pump(pass side inlet & outlet) used from '65-69 and aftermarket pulley sets are available in traditional V-belt sets in chrome and billet at reasonable prices.This will make it just as short as the late setup for less $$$

26. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This may help as reference the width of various engines: a SBC including exhaust manifolds 26".FE Ford 27",BBC 27" 455 Olds 26 1/2",472-500 Cad 28" SBF 289-5.0 Ford 22" 318-360 Mopar 25" (also overall length is shortest at 23 1/2",SBC is 25" from back of block to water pump flange)SBF is 25" using the 65-69 early water pump.Reference from "Practical Engine Swapping" by Steve Smith. Odd fact, in some cases as the 49-59 Fords the higher placement of the FE's exhaust ports actually improve steering box clearance as compared to the SBF swap's.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  27. It sounds like you have already screwed up an old ford with the mustang two and recessed fire wall. What a waste of a good old Ford. If I wanted to drive a mustang two I would buy one. You can get 300 plus cubic inches out of a flathead without much work. I would go with a v/6 mounted diagonally in the frame now and run belts to a Opel transmission. This will require a little fabrication and more than one sheave.

YOU COULD USE SOME ARDUN HEADS ON THE FLATHEAD AND HAVE A HEMI.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  28. choggie

choggie
    from Joliet, Il

When I bought my 39 Ford it had no front end suspension on the frame. The firewall issue was a easy one as it to was missing. It might sound like I screwed up a old Ford but I'm trying to get back on the road one of these years before I run out of time. That is why I'm asking so many questions as what will fit. The less going backwards and more going forward will hopefully get this car done. I spent a lot of money putting patch panels, drip rails, rear tailpan,floors and firewall on it. With the information I have so far I might have to throw the dice and try a 390 FE. I asked if anyones done this and got no replies. Columbus took a chance so I might have to take one to. Thanks Choggie

29. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

30. chowen

chowen

The 351 Cleveland makes a fast and pretty motor!