Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy title issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Catengtech, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Catengtech

Catengtech
    from Bogata Tx

Hey guys

I think i messed up, I bought a 55 chevy got it home and about a month later i was looking at the title and the vin number didnt look right, so i went out to the car and looked for the vin tag and it was there in the door jamb and was painted over.Well i scraped the paint off of it and compaired the number and the title had the wrong vin.It says 1955 chevy but the eng and trim codes dont match any tri-five chevy nor the production number. What do I do The frame has been replaced with a damn monte carlo frame so no numbers there. I dont want to go through the bonded title process just cause i dont want a bonded title.

Please help Thanks James:confused:

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

so dont tell anyone that it dont match when you register it

PS. welcome to the HAMB. :rolleyes:

3. Catengtech

Catengtech
    from Bogata Tx

But what if i wanted to sell it i dont want to do that to someone

4. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

If you've bought it to flip it, yeah you're screwed.
    I'm a little vauge on what your issue actually is, mainly because I know of a slew of people that are driving and enjoying cars registered with "historical documents" that they've picked up off the web or at swap meets.
    I wouldn't go advertising about it though. Nor would I go advertising about it being on a Monte Carlo frame around the DMV. You might get it labeled as a built car. Real pain in the ass to title that...AND you've got to have it built to current specs.

5. 76cam

76cam

x two

6. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Good piece of advice as well.

7. Well, depending on how you look at it you could be screwed.
    Does Texas require a VIN verification before registering? If so, you're done.
    If you do get it registered and a cop pulls you over and decides something doesn't look right, the car could (probably would) be impounded and you might not get it back.
    You also could have a lot of trouble re-selling it.

Oh, and go and do an Intro in the proper section as required here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

8. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Does your state have vehicle inspections?
    If so, that car will not pass due to the incorrect vehicle identification.

As far as trim and eng. codes not matching, there are millions of cars on the raod that have had engines changed and trim removed or changed/altered.
    Just look at how many custom mercs that have Buick trim and Chevvy engines.

Next time check vehicle identifications tag against printed document(title) before plunking down the cash.

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

easy

"officer, it did match, but i had to cut the "A" pillar out, and replace it with a donor cause it had rusted through really REALLY bad and was unsafe..."

most cops dont even know where to look for a VIN on a car this age... so that means that some of them arent going to accept ANY vin number you might have even if it does match... "if it isnt on the dash, next to the driver side glass... its an un numbered car"

and yes, i actually had a cop tell me that.

you bought it, now its yours. its a lesson you'll never forget.

never buy a car without making sure the body numbers and paper match

10. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Not usually. At least I've never had them do one on any of my old tin. They're pretty lax about it.
    The cop scenario is a long shot too. They only time I can ever remember hearing about such a thing was years ago with the lowriders down in San Antonio. Cops would pull em over and check all VIN numbers and run the cars for parts reported stolen.
    Speaking of, you might want to run a check on ALL vin numbers associated with that car and title to make sure that none of it's been reported stolen.

Texas does have vehicle safety inspections, but they just get the VIN off your insurance card.

The only time I've ever had anyone actually look at my VIN was a tow truck driver that drug my 49 home for me. The badge was rusted badly, so he just wrote it down off my insurance card.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it all depends on what is up with the paper title you have. if it is not a title with plates and current (or recent anyways) registration attached it is just about worthless anyway.

register it with the vin number from the door jamb.

12. Catengtech

Catengtech
    from Bogata Tx

Im goin to call the guy that is on the title and ask him why it is the way it is.Maybe he can help if not i will make it a no title race car, i hate to do so but what can i do.

13. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

If it's a good title he can still use it. If he registers it with that title and declares that the vehicle has no plates, they'll give him plates for it.
    [/QUOTE]
    register it with the vin number from the door jamb.[/QUOTE]
    Probably the best option if he's really worried about it, but hell, that door may have been changed swapped out, hence the incorrect vin.
    For all he knows that's exactly what happened.

14. cheveey57

cheveey57

Get your money back, that's what else you can do..............

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

*sigh*

ok, seeing as how you wont do a search, intro or anything else...

go to the DMV. not the closest one, or the one you always do business at and ask how to get a vehicle registered without the title. explain your situation, leaving out the whole monty frame shit, and do NOT tell them you have paper that wont match. then, they'll hand you a stack of shit you are going to need to fill out, return, pray over, sacrifice a dead chicken and sprinkle with blood. =

then get a bill of sale SIGNED by the guy you got the car from, the DMV is going to want that.

you're gonna need a title bond from your insurance company. ask your insurance guy how much it'll cost you for the bond. once you have all that shit taken care of, get a state licensed inspector to verify the vin.

its a long, involved shitty slow process

or, just title it with the paper you have and drive it

16. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

What's to search? We've told him exactly what he can do.

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats kinda the entire point. . .

18. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Guess he just didn't like our answers.
    Eh? Guess he'll find out. People speaking from experience isn't enough for some people.

19. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Do not even consider driving the car with incorrect paperwork. If you get in a wreck the insurance company can bow out because your vin doesnt match the paperwork. They will check it and it happened to a friend of mine.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's where I'd start. Otherwise it's a lesson learned to make sure the VIN matches the title prior to forking over any $$$.

I wouldn't put another dime into the car until you can secure a clean title.
    What if you get pulled over, the cop runs the VIN and it comes back stolen?

Have someone run the A post VIN for you to see if it's hot. You may have bought a stolen car or at the least bought a car that the seller didn't really (legally) own.

21. Catengtech

Catengtech
    from Bogata Tx

Hey guys I really thank yall for your imput,I needed to hear different ideas and im goin to try and use them. Thanks James

22. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

I see that you are from Texas. Up until 1955 Texas used the engine number on the title, not the tag in the door jamb. It is possible to get the title changed, either to the door tag, to a Texas reassigned VIN, or the engine that is currently in it. Maybe someone else that has done it will chime in. I know it isn't the easiest process.

23. rustyangels

rustyangels

Wrecks happen and the cops will be lookin' for that vin plate