Register now to get rid of these ads!

Started my 55 plymouth gasser project today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellsgaterods, Mar 8, 2011.

1. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I PICKED THIS 55 PLYMOUTH UP MONDAY, ALWAYS WANTED ONE, BEING A MOPAR GUY, AND THE FACT I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT I WANTED SOMETHING OTHER THAN A 55 CHEVY. ( EVEN THOUGH I LOVE THOSE TOO) IM GOING TO MAKE IT A GASSER WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE FRONT END AND 440 MOTOR, UNLESS I FIND A BABY HEMI BEFORE I GET TO PUTTING THE MOTOR IN IT. AND MORE THAN LIKELY ILL PUT A 4 SPEED IN IT. I CLEANED THE CAR ALL DAY SWEPT IT ALL OUT, AND STARTED PULLING THE TRIM, BUMPERS, AND DOGHOUSE, ILL PULL THE 6 CYLINDER OUT TOMORROW AND PROBABLY LIST IT ON HERE IF ANYONES INTERESTED IN IT AND THE TRANNY. IM STILL LOOKING FOR DOOR GLASS AND A WINDSHIELD BECAUSE SOME STUPID KIDS BROKE THEM OUT LAST WEEK BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.:mad: THE CAR WAS FROM FLORIDA SO ITS PRETTY SOLID OUTSIDE, BUT ILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE FLOORS AND ROCKERS. AND DO SOME SMALL PATCHES IN THE TRUNK.

55plymouth3.jpg

100_1768.jpg

100_1767.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1762.jpg

100_1761.jpg

100_1760.jpg

2. Always cracks me up when guys post pics of their project and say" It's pretty solid, I'll just have to replace floors and rockers" What? Lots of work there for sure.

3. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

nice body style! should make a good looking gasser.

4. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

you can always send me some from az. the car is solid for around here. i live in salt country! lol

5. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Welcome to the wonderful world of 55 Plymouths. Gotta love these cars. I think one of the most overlooked affordable fifties cars (Shhhhhh!!!)

Looks like a cool project and good luck.

6. mdcolby

mdcolby

Very cool project. I would do the 440 if it was me. Everybody has a hemi anymore. let me know if you want a 61 long ram for it maybe we can make a deal! it would look great.

7. Butch M

Butch M

That's going make one cool lookin gasser good luck......

8. Mr Blue

Mr Blue
    from Florida

I think "solid" depends on your metal working skills. To a good metal worker floors and rockers are no big deal.
    Great car and best of luck. Don

9. Mac_55

Mac_55

Thats gonna be COOOOLLLL!!!!!!!

Hey i got this speaker grille from a 55 plymouth in a box of parts and have no use for it . You can have it for your build if youd like. Just shoot me a pm with a place to send it to.

[​IMG]

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great lookin' gasser...
    I like the looks of that a lot...
    Keep us posted...

11. Big Dad

Big Dad

I have been looking for a 55 Hardtop to do this with for a couple years, can't find one

so , I just look at my photoshop image

[​IMG]

12. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

hey i'm from wisconsin and when i find old car i pray that is just floors and rockers! because theres no such thing as finding a complete rust free solid car here! here your average car thats been sittin the floors and rockers are gone, fenders, quarters, wheelwells, are shot, around the front and rear windows are so rotted you and just lift windows right out, which means the upper dash is rotted out, bottom of hoods and trunks are rotted out, seat frames are rusted out, suspension is all junk, chances are the frame has a hole or 2, and throw in a dozen random rust holes for good measure! and yet people around here still restore them!(if its something rarer)

13. farmer12

farmer12

This looks like it's going to be one great build. I just hope for you that it's only the floors and rockers that are rusty. Good luck with this great project.

14. fbama73

fbama73

If a car doesn't need any metal work, what's the point of getting it?

15. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hell no! you all stay away from my supply!!!:D

16. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

yep this is the pic that came up when i googled "55 plymouth gasser" LOVE IT!

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

10-4 on the Wisconsin statements......
    When you buy a new car here and drive on the heavily salted roads in the winter, if you turn off the music, heater fan, and listen real carefully...........
    you can hear them rusting !! :D:eek::rolleyes:

18. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Agreed. I'm from Wisconsin too. Not a lot of them left anymore and what is left is usually overpriced. I'd love to have a 55 Plymouth. I had a 55 Plymouth Plaza when I was in high school. Wish I still had it. Was a 2 dr. sedan.
    Tom

19. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

got the engine and tranny pulled today, it turns over with a wrench. i put it up for sale on the h.a.m.b. today if anyone is interested. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  20. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

there was a guy that lived 3 doors away from us at the old house where we lived. he worked at ford stamping plant here that raced a 55 dodge convert. with an injected 241red ram in f /gas. had all the good partsin it including a mag. this was done in the early 60s 63-64.he won class pretty much most of the time except when ferd napfel and the storming bull 55 chevy was in town.i talked tothe guy a year ago and he told me ge still has the car. mike

21. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

thats a kool story, years ago when avilla dragway was close by there was a guy that ran a truck called hemi henry, it was a late 40's or early 50's ford f100 with a injected 392 hemi. i can still hear that thing lerch to the lights and destroy other cars.

22. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Hellsgaterods--You have been blessed with Vintage Iron!!!

23. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

that's because they're fucking UGLY... :eek: different, but ugly.

24. stevorunner

stevorunner

good luck on the gasser project!
    and good for you for sticking to the mopar
    I have a 1940 dodge truck sitting in the garage that some day will turn into a gasser

25. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

one great thing about it, it aint a chivvy (lol):D:D

26. NOT !!!

..the 55-6 Plymouths make some of the nicest mild customs; but then that's just my opinion. Yours should make a neat gasser; I like the tudor post model better for a gasser.

27. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

cold as crap today, so i took the opertunity to restore the tailights on the 55 plymouth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

started removing the rusted areas of the trunk ( spare tire well and where the body mounts are) and stripping the rust and paint off the drivers rear quarter today. funny florida rust was sitting on top of the original paint.
    [​IMG]

29. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

30. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Never will understand what drives some folks. Why did you even click on this thread if you think they are so ugly. All of our lives are now better for having read your comment.
    Also check your facts, the 55 Plymouth was voted most beautiful new car in 1955 so I believe my original statement is simply fact, not brag.

By the way your truck is pretty cool and I am a Mopar guy but still know how to appreciate other makes, something you may want to try.