Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Longbike 57 chevy truck build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by longbike, Mar 8, 2011.

1. longbike

longbike

This is what I started out with, body workable but the frame was in perfect shape. It had been painted before by previous owner so there was no rust at all. All parts where here just needed cleaning up and painted or chrome cleaned.
    My goal is to put it back to original but better than new with only updates like front tapper roller bearings in wheels and stainless brake lines and fuel lines and stainless exhaust system and body fasteners. "Don't like rust".

I love the old truck look and feel when driving, Reminds me of the old days when my grandfather let me drive his 1950 ford step side 3 on the tree when I couldn't even see over the dashboard. had to sit on books to see. "That cool rough ride and wondering steering and stiff shifting just makes me smile with great memories". So thats what I'm after here to share with my kids!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. The truck in your avitar?

3. longbike

longbike

The pics didnt load? Ok got them, dont know what happend?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. longbike

longbike

Got her stripped to the bone the very first weekend of having it! Now its all over the garage.

Allot of rusted bolts to break thru.

Attached Files:

5. longbike

longbike

Then I got the engine all torn apart. It was a mess.

Attached Files:

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Good luck with your truck, should be cool when you get it done. Post your progress.

7. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Great looking build, I am going the same direction with my 57'.

8. 76cam

76cam

Man thats one big job you got there good luck and have fun!!!And keep us posted with pic's of the progress.

9. longbike

longbike

Thanks guys!
    Here I got the frame sandblasted and powder coated. Rear axle all gone thru with new bearings & seals. 3.90 ratio, when I took this rear end apart the lube was like molasses really thick and all the gears and bearings looked like brand new not even a scratch on the teeth. Sure don't make lube like that anymore that stuff was great!
    Front axle all new kingpins and tapper bearings seals and shoes & brake hardware.

Attached Files:

10. longbike

longbike

OK now were up to date with the build.
    I just got the engine back together painted and back in the frame.

The engine was a mess with 4 pistons with broken rings all the solid lifters were dished and cam badly pitted,rocker shaft was broken and valves & guides just worn out. The clutch disk was installed backwards so the clutch springs were tearing up the flywheel bolts "wonder how they ever got it to shift gears." In the carburetor the power piston was installed upside down. "lost allot of power there."

So the engine got all new parts inside and bored out .030 over to clean up the cylinders, crankshaft reground and balanced, line-bored and decks reground. The head got all new guides,valves,springs,hardened seats and seals. So she should be in great shape now!

Attached Files:

11. longbike

longbike

I got the stainless brake lines and fuel lines installed over the weekend and also installed the newly rebuilt steering gear, But will have to remove when mounting the cab back into place.

Attached Files:

12. Nice truck, but then, I am kind of biased.

13. longbike

longbike

I heard that! Thanks!!

14. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

It looks like you have a very nice truck in the makings! Nice job!! I am just getting started on my rust bucket...

15. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looking good. I like the '57 pickup's. Keep us updated.

16. indyjps

indyjps

How long has this taken, by your thread dates you got all this done in 2 days. Youre fast.
    Truck is looking great, keep the details coming.

T5 would sure go nice in there, I understand youre keeping the old truck feel, but it would be much more useableon the highway. Theres many threads on here on how to put one behind your engine.

17. longbike

longbike

Thanks guys! I will keep you posted.
    I bought the truck last year around september.

18. longbike

longbike

I got the drive line in and radiator & support in. Now on to the sheet metal.

Attached Files:

19. longbike

longbike

Well as you guys will see I'm an armature at body working, My first mistake was I started at the rear cab corner and got it welded in too high up as it did not line up with the lower step rocker and nothing wanted to align up.

So I ended up cutting off the cab corner and lowering it down and then everything fell into place.

I know now to start with the hinge pockets and work your way back to the cab corners.

Attached Files:

20. longbike

longbike

Here you can see where I had to lower and space in a spacer piece in the cab corner. I don't think it turned out to bad could of been allot worst!

Attached Files:

21. longbike

longbike

Got the whole right side completed and welded in and started on the left side.

Attached Files:

22. longbike

longbike

Here I made up a couple door hinge cage nuts for the upper hinges and just drilled a 1/8th inch hole in body to weld and hold in place, worked out great!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

23. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

You're doing a great job....I'm convinced these Chevy trucks are all rusted in the same places with very few exceptions...

24. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

It looks like you're doing things the right way, it'll be awesome when it's finished!

25. longbike

longbike

Thanks guys, I hope im doing it right.