Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Extreme Powder Coating's 1965 C-10 "NO PAINT"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kart34, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kart34

kart34

The focus of this project is promote the advantages of powder coating over liquid finishes. We are going to powder coat every piece possible on this truck. I will be posting the progress of this build, until updated to a current status. Look for DAILY postings :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. kart34

kart34

Found this truck on craigslist outta west Texas

Attached Files:

3. kart34

kart34

Brought the truck home....

Attached Files:

4. kart34

kart34

Carter Hickman Designs

Attached Files:

5. BenW455

BenW455

Looking forward to the daily pics. It would be cool to put prices with the pics so we know how much it would cost.

6. kart34

kart34

Roger Burman of Lakeside Rods and Rides did the killer modifications to the dash, glove box, door panels, and center console.

Attached Files:

7. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I look forward to this thread, already subscribed.
    I'm assuming you will be using pro-equipment, but do you think the cheap powdercoat guns (like eastwood's) will work for small pieces? Where I'am powder coating for hobbists is not readily available.

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

The conceptual drawings look really good. I especially like your ideas for the interior!

9. kart34

kart34

The frame was modified into a full Porterbuilt Dropmember v3.2 - integrated speed holes and smoothed it all out.

Attached Files:

10. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Great concept! I will be watching this build. Awsome work!

11. kart34

kart34

custom exhaust system by Jesse Frericks - gas tank and mufflers got a super deal on these on ebay.

Attached Files:

12. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

So your powder coating the whole thing except for the whole outside of the body? Back in the day when I worked in a powder shop i use to sit around and daydream how I could do a complete car, body shell, door shells, fenders, the whole ball of wax. I did do the entire frame and suspension for an OT porejct I had at the time. Also did a complete small block chevy, block, heads, intake and all the cover and brackets, I swear it took 4 hours of nothing but masking. Can't wait to see the progress on this project.

13. The way I read it, he says every piece of the truck.That would include the sheetmetal. I don't see why not.

14. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

love the concept drawings....subscribed!

15. striptnut

striptnut

Very cool project ya got going there kart34. Keep shots of the build up comming!

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Wouldn't you need to use filler on the sheet metal? I don't think powdercoating will stick to filler, unless there's a special filler out there.

17. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

LabMetal.

18. jb weld is awesome and powder will also stick to bondo if you pre-heat the part, the bondo has to be well cured also

19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Seen this project at wow st paul minn.Was pretty impressed.Seen some of their other stuff at other shows.These guys do some pretty cool stuff.

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Im with you on this, looking at the concept drawings it looks as though the body is staying as is? I know it would be a pain in the ass or maybe impossible to powdercoat the body, but wouldn't you want to paint the body if you're trying to promote a metal finishing business? Otherwise the truck and the work being done looks awesome.

21. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Can Bondo withstand 370 F cure temps???

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I would totally keep that grill guard.

23. Dzus

Dzus

I would too. Is it a 'Smash-Hit by Perry Company, Waco'?

24. 8flat

8flat

I would think the cure temps would warp body panels... unless you can get a low-temp powder nowadays?

25. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Don't forget the engine turned interior panels.

26. A Boner

A Boner

Is it possible to wet sand powder coat, to eliminate slight orange peel? Or is this the reason the outside of the truck will not be powder coated.

27. kart34

kart34

MSRA came to the shop to do an interview for an article in the Linechaser with Greg, BUT little Veda was the star of the show haha...look for her picture in the next months issue of the Linechaser!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

28. kart34

kart34

I will try and answer the questions. We have a powdercoatable filler that has to be baked at 200F and sands like regular bondo. We have allready powdercoated the inside on the doors and the top door frames in a white with a flat powdercoat clear. We will also powdercoat the body panels in a flat clear over the original patina. We did some testing and it worked great. We have a large shop here in So. Minnesota and will use the truck to promote powdercoating. www.extremepowdercoating.net

29. kart34

kart34

It is also possible to wet sand powdercoat and buff it. ;) The body panels with be powdercoated a flat clear and lock it the patina.

30. kart34

kart34

Engine turned interior panels by Roger Burman Lakeside Rods and Rides.

Custom louvers and dimple dies by Dan Pate RTE 56 Rod and Kustom