Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painters I Need Your Help With A Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grits, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I'm using a 61 impala steering wheel, I have stripped it down to bare rubber, what do I use to prime with and or paint it with??

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

any automotive paint will work. only use paint that takes a separate hardener, no spray cans.

3. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Enamel or epoxy enamel. Spray cans are fine.

4. rebelrat

rebelrat

always helps when you get 2 apposing answers lol

5. Ain't that some shit, I'm looking for some one who has done this before with this type of wheel

6. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

Use automotive paint, spray can is ok but you can't beat the look and durability of a good quality paint.

7. Ok guys, let me clarify, I want to know if there is a special type primer for the rubberized portion of the steering wheel, I'm using top quality body paint to match the coupe. Just needed to be pointed in the right dirrection.

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Use regular primer then, not rattle can primer. A good epoxy primer or urethane that your automotive topcoat will stick to

Most of the rattle can primer these days are either lacquer or enamel and you don't want that for good quality topcoat

9. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I just did mine.Jb weld on all the cracks.Good spray can primer then rustoleum metalic.A few coats of clear after that.I turned out really good as in my opinion.Seams pretty durable as i already bumped into to some stuff handeling it.

10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

hey gar! finally on the interior? just use the same stuff youve been using and youll be fine. the rubberized doesnt flex enough to require flex addative in the paint or primer. Ive done several and they are all still in working order!

11. It's really not rubberized....more like hard plastic. I've done several 58-60 and 61 GM wheels. Patch cracks with PC7, finish nicks and scratches with catalyzed spot putty, prime with catalyzed primer, topcoat and be the cool mofo with the shiny steering wheel :cool:

12. Thanks Ede, good to hear from you, give me a holla when you get time or stop by for a cold beer. Hope to see ya soon.

13. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

14. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Don't use lacquer...it doesn't last. Everything else people are saying is fairly true.

15. ironpile

ironpile

I used urethane primer and basecoat clearcoat, on 55 Chevy. Turned out great.

16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I would treat it just like a Rubber Bumper Cover. You'll have to repair and prep (and clean) the rubber very well. DO NOT use any type of solvent based cleaner on the Rubber. Once the Wheel is all prepped, use an adhesion promoter (ie. Bulldog.....)
    Then use a good medium coat of Epoxy Primer (two part). As soon as the Epoxy Primer is dry ( about 1 hour should do), Put a couple of good coats of Urethane high build Primer and let it set for a few days. Then, just prep. it as you would a car body. Sand all the way down to 600 grit. Sealer and Basecoat/Clearcoat the wheel. Voila, it will look like a million bucks. I have done several steering wheels and all have held up very well and look great. I have gotten a lot of kudos on the
    final product.

Good luck,
    VR&C.

17. Thanks buddy, that's my plan, appreciate it ;)

18. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

When I painted my steering wheel I held it horizontal and purposely applied the paint real heavy on the under side. This caused the paint to run to the bottom of the finger grip groves and makes it real easy to grip now. (not big drips but kind of like sags to replace the worn down condition)

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Make sure if it has any cracks to "V" em out real good before you fill with epoxy. The cracks in my wheel came back because I didnt file them down enough.

20. hellboy333

hellboy333
    from Amarillo

listen to voodoo, bulldog is like gods gift to making paint stick

21. I just done my 61 wheel on my 47 chevy. I used PC7 to fill the cracks. Speedway recomended etching primer, I don't know why but I used it, then painted the wheel with PPG concept single stage. I used base clear the last time and it chiped a lot over the years.

22. striper

striper

I can vouch for this. After 15 years mine has started to wear through in a couple of spots ;)

Pete

23. Listen guys, I'm not tryin to come off as a know-it-all, but I'm gonna say it again---those wheels are NOT rubber or rubber-like or rubber based----they are plastic....painted originally with lacquer:rolleyes: No need for flex additives. No need for Bulldog (unless you're lazy with sandpaper/scotchbrite) Bulldog's great--works fantastic as an adhesion promoter(think "sprayable glue")....but on a rigid plastic part? It serves as nothing more than insurance. Treat a 61 steering wheel no different than a piece of sheetmetal.
    Pre-packaged spray paint will work, but is NOT durable enough to withstand the wear your hands will give it, along with degradation from the oils in your skin --that, and the fact that you just can't make spray paint look as good as high-end catalyzed paint products---I don't give a shit who you are or what brand you use---it ain't gonna happen!

24. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

About 15 years ago i repaired and painted a 46 ford deluxe wheel that was in such sad shape that a guy threw it in free with a $10 pair of 40 ford backing plates.I v'd out all the hacksaw cuts and cracks and filled them with bondo,gave it a few coats of high build urethane primer sanded between coats and sealed it with PPG epoxy primer.I painted it with ppg base/clear (Deltron if i remember)and mounted it on a 29 sedan delivery i was building.That project went into storage for a few years in an unheated garage,the temp dropping below zero at times during the winter and approaching 100 in the summer w/o any cracking or signs of degradation.When i sold the delivery,i kept the wheel and used it on my deuce roadster where it was exposed to direct sun in the summer and , again ,0 degree temps during winter all without any cracking or issues of any kind . No special bonding agents or adhesion promoters but i do take pains with regard to prep work,lots of sanding and cleaning,over and over and over again.Bob

25. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

hey you try and educate but some guys still want the kool aid.

NOTHING in a spray can has hardener in it, period.

the oils that come off your hands will eventually soften ALL rattle can paint.

26. Anyone with common sense would know that a $3 rattlecan is worth just that.
    My time is too valuable to use crap, how about yours?

27. davis574ord

davis574ord

Ive used duponts self etch primer then a catalyzed primer then automotive paint and a good clear coat! Good luck bro!

28. Dirk35

Dirk35

I dont know what my steering wheel was painted with (Im assuming ratle can) but its rubbing off after only a few weeks of driving it every few days. Kinda neat though, the wheel was pink underneath the black.

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

30. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Lacquer, I'd bet. Even with a clear coat, it won't withstand being touched all the time.