Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

1973 Pgher 250 driver shot of past winners and race artifacts from the last ever race at Hberg

2. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

3. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

4. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

More 73' Hberg 250 info from the scrapebook.......

5. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Hey Bushy - Great shots from Sharon in 77 and Winchester. Little help there on the photos #33 would have been Danny Byrd who took over the Stan Yee ride that year. Also, 42 is Bob Carnes another strong michigan runner!

Keep the nostalgia coming - great stuff!

6. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

7. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

Wasn,t positive there on sharon...i had the bob right....hey,gimme a break i,m 65 yrs. Old...memory left with most of my hair...lol

8. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Crash sequence from the 73' Pgher 250 with scrapbook notations.........

9. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

10. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

11. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Great race cars here.............love the info up on the thread.....I hope others find it interesting as well......

I'll be going into some late model driver profiles in alphabetical order that ran pavement at Hberg later this week from my scrape book....

...I will post the photos of them with their cars along with my scrapebook text so you can read along...

....the attached thumbnails should expand on your broswer window large enough to check things out........

stay tuned........

12. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

13. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

14. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

Hberglives:
    I DIDN,T HAVE A LOT OF STUFF FOR 1970 AT THE BERG.....SO SHOW ME YOUR STUFF
    JERRY

15. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

That 14 I believe is Sterling Marlin............

16. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

The crash sequence is some neat shots. I have some old film from that race which is pieced together and always tried to figure it out as I'm a huge Joy Fair fan. Fair started and ran up front, then tangled with Benning who I assume was being lapped? It appears on film very briefly before cutting again that Fair spun Benning out on the frontstretch after, so I assume he was not to happy. I guess then perhaps at fault for the mishap? If anybody know more to the wreck I'd like to hear it.

17. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Racer 12..........the Camaro in the movie 6 pack was an asphalt late model belonging to Glenn Gault that the studio purchased and changed it over to a dirt car..........Glenn drove that car in competition at Sharon Speedway on the pavement in the mid to late 70's........

18. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Can someone explain what I'm seeing here???..........Whoaa!

19. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

most of the race action is posted in prior threads............however, my driver profiles have extensive photos upcoming from 70 through 73......

20. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Were you the guy that was filming in that turn during the 250????

A few of the drivers in that race I know would sure like to see that stuff......lol!

I know Jim Benning really well............he told me a very different story that day.....lol!!!!

His car was an old Tommy Gale ride that he purchased....Jim was a local guy and a corporate jet pilot.....he didn't have the time on his schedule to run regularly but got out with this big block Chevelle with limited success until that race..........

Jim struggled with that car working in the turns during practice the night before the race but ended up starting in the front of his heat race on Saturday night.........he told me he was so mad and frustrated with the car that he told me he was going to punch it full bore into turn one when the green flag fell on his heat race and either take off with the lead or go straight threw the fence into the parking lot....lol!

Well the green dropped and he hammered it deep into the first turn and to his shock the car stuck like it was on rails...........finally he had understood that the car's suspension geometry and set up wouldn't really work right until he torqued the crap out of the chassis to make it bite (maybe a cantilever reaction?)......as a result he took off and ran away from the field in his heat and won by a big margin over a slew of top michigan camaro cars behind him to make the race outright that night............I didn't know him back then and I sat in the stands dumbfounded in how Jim Benning was running so fast that night...........

the next day he took the car out for practice shaking it down for the race and brought it back in and asked his older brother if he could try it out (he would have Norm Sr. shake down the car from time to time). So Norm Sr. takes the ride out and comes back in and tells him "Jimmy don't change a thing on this sled it is perfect!"...............After Norm left to back over to his car, Jim told me that he lifted the hood to check the engine and it had a plug wire off!!!............LOL!....

....the car was running on seven cyclinders and flying......lol!!!

I got to know Norm, Sr. and Jim in the 80's when I video taped Norm Jr.'s wins on local dirt tracks...........when Jim told me this story I always laughed so hard.........He knew all about Joy and had great respect for him ........but you know how drivers see things.........

those were great racing times........

21. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

22. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

23. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

24. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Thanks! I really wanted to see some info on that race............I was there and it was lame..........but that Javelin was cool...........so was Baker's Firebird.........

25. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

26. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Bushy........all the clipping have helped clear up some fuzzy memories I had....thanks again!

I didn't realize that Gene Edding and Marv Peatuera raced at Hberg.......

27. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

28. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

29. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

30. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

I remember seeing marv at wayne county speedway..a local dirt track way back....i think he won...driving for stan yee i blieve