Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap workbenches ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOBCORP, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

guys I need a new work bench for cheap,

Would you be willing to show pics of your cheap workbenches and approx. cost

2. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

[​IMG]

About $90 in material

3. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

looks good.

I guess cheap is a bad description, how about inexpensive

4. DRD57

DRD57

[​IMG]

All materials were scrounged.

5. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Solid wood 36" door from somebody's trash = $0.00
    Two old cast iron table legs = $0.00
    Dozen or so lag screws and washers = $0.00
    Old half can of battleship grey paint = $0.00

New workbench = Priceless

7. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

this looks great, a great idea. I think we have all this laying around.

8. Damaged1

Damaged1

I don't have any pictures of mine, but it is cheap, durable, and convenient. Its a old solid wooden door with the hinges screwed to the studs of the garage wall. It folds up out of the way when not in use and has 2"x4" legs on hinges screwed to the underside that flip down for legs.
    I can't take credit for it, it was already in the garage when we moved in.

9. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

10. 73RR

73RR

No photo, but the last work bench I made was from two pieces of glu-lam beam that I got from a salvage yard.
    Each piece was 5" x 24" and about 6'-0 long. I drilled a couple of holes through them and tied them together with pieces of ½" all-thread.
    The finished top is 24 x 70 and 5" deep. I placed a piece of 3/8 plate, 24 x 24, at one end for 'extra-heavy' duty stuff.

Total cost was less than $100.

11. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

some good ideas here, keep em coming

12. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i built my own from 2 sheets of 3/4 ply & a few old 2x4 's layin around, also used some old drawers from a junk cabinet i found. i used a dado blade and cut a groove in the top & bottom 2x4 and glued the ply into it for strength then built the face frame outta the rest of the ply and the top was from what left over, it is extremley strong and huge ! think i have 200.00 in it with drawer slides & all.

13. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

an old semi trailer head ache rack shortened one side and the back, trailer hitch style vise attachment so i can slide the vise in and out/and i can also slide bench grinder in to the vise mount, creating a telescoping work station...

Attached Files:

14. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

oh yeah didn't cost me anything more than,some welding wire/argon and of course some time.....

15. Got some heavy duty shelving pallet shelving and left one shelf at bench height with one overhead with shop light mounted and moved other shelves below work bench...heavy duty and holds alot of weight...bench top piece I reinforced with cross bracing.
    Was a bit over 100 bux new but you can find them on craigslist pretty easily.
    Best part is they break down very fast for moving.

16. troy5118

troy5118
    from Haven Ks

I got some double level pallet shelving. Cut the front legs off flush with the first shelf. Than put some steel over the wood shelf and put up a board for a back board to hang stuff on. Works great and you can take it apart!

^^ Funny he has the same idea

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  17. atomickustom

atomickustom

Get a couple 4x4s, cut them to the height you want, screw (don't nail) a bunch of 2x4 and/or 2x6 around the perimeter, then mount a double-thickness of MDF on top. It'll be rock solid, won't cost much, and will last forever. Just be sure to brace each leg at an angle to the top to keep it from rocking. My Dad built one like that in the 1970s and it was still in the garage when we sold the house 4 years ago. Too heavy to move, but still solid as a rock and we used it continuously all those years. He covered his with a layer of 1/8 inch masonite, but when I built mine here a year or two ago I didn't bother. I don't care if the MDF gets stained or scratched because I plan to cover it with metal sooner or later.
    Just don't make it too deep - wide and shallow works better.

18. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Go to a place that recycles building materials and grab a fire door from a factory building. I don't have pics but a place I worked had one as the main island workbench. Was about 9 feet long, 4 feet wide and 2 1/2" thick solid wood. Held up by 4"x4" legs.

19. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Friend of mine was in the right place at the right time and scored the wood from a bowling alley that was being torn out and replaced, don't
    know what kind of wood it is but it is harder than Chineese algebra! Four
    feet wide and 12 ft long and FREE! Made one helluva workbench.

20. Jagman

Jagman

It really depends on what you're gona do on it, if you're going to weld or beat heavy metal, you want a metal table. If it's just gonna wind up 8" deep in junk like mine, anything will work.....:D

I have a metal bench I bought for $10 from a dealership that was closing - it was a transmission repair bench, so it has a lip aound the edge to collect the fluid that runs out, and directs it to a bucket or whatever - pretty neat. Haven't seen it in years (aforementioned 8" of crap)

21. silversink

silversink

Go to your local John Deer dealer that sells ridding lawn mowers. The crating they come from Japan in makes a great table frame ,just add 2 by 6's and your done. I got mine for 00.00$

22. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I agree on it depending on what you're gonna do with it. I built one 30 years ago out of 4x4 and 2x4 with a lower shelf to put VW motors and the top mounted the engine stand. Took the 2x2 tubing for the engine stand bracket off years ago and threw a piece of sheet metal on it and stacked it high with junk.
    Bought a metal hospital gurney with 8 inch wheels at a yard sale for $10 bucks that works great as well.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No photo but I picked up one of the stainless topped cabinets that TSA uses in the airports from a GSA auction. two drawers and easy to clean plus it has rollers.

I also have a round table outside with a top made of 1/4 inch stainless and stainless legs. It came out of a food processing plant and has a notch cut out of it for what ever machine it was used for. I got it when I worked in the food plant and they scrapped it. If you are in an area with a lot of food processing plants check the scrap yards in the area often for tables that they have sent for scrap as they are often heavy duty and stainless.

24. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

X2 on the solid core door! not too hard to find a castoff -check construction sites (with permission) we use many for temp. doors during const. and many are discarded after the build. I built one with castoff 4x4 legs and a shelf down low and a pair of wheels one one end that only contact the floor when I lift the oppisite end. VERY stable and I can easily move it where I want.

25. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

thanks lots of good ideas here

26. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

A former co-worker of mine built one from a steel door he scrounged and liquid nails'd 4 stacks of cinder blocks for the legs. That liquid nails was incredibly strong! he glued it to the floor, we had to break the blocks with a big sledge when it came time to move it.

27. We built 4 of these benches. They are basically 3.5' x 8' in size. Two with wood tops (2x10s glued together) and two with 3/4" plywood covered in sheet metal. The legs are 4x4 and the framing is 2x4. We added a back shelf which is handy for lights, parts, fans, art, etc. Also a foot rest shelf for storage - you can either stand or sit while working at these benches. Also ran a plug in strip (Wire Mold) across the front (the white strip in the photo). Put together with sheet rock screws and wood glue. Painted the framing and left the wood top natural. Went over board on this one and decorated the back board with corrugated metal - just for looks. Made mostly from what we had on hand - maybe $30-$50 in each one.

[​IMG]

Kinda messy but you get the idea. We were moving that day...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  28. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

Hi,
    Your best bet for a good work bench is to find a tool & die shop and or manufacturing company auction. I have several tool makers benches and you can't kill these things, they will last forever! Solid wood tops, heavy duty with lots of drawers. Usually $50.00 to $100.00 at an auction. One of these benches new will run you around $500.00 or so.

29. OLLIN

OLLIN

here;s mine. pardon the mess ;)

but it doesnt get too much cheaper than this. I think it was about $40...
    One 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut it in half long ways so its 2' deep
    get a few 8 foot 2x4's and some lag bolts. the good thing about this is that you
    can make it any size you need and its also easy to screw on a sheet metal top if you wanted to. Its sturdy as hell too. I want to make some shelves to match. it took one saturday to make.

[​IMG]

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

don't have a pic--left it at the old house, but I re-purposed an old steel fire door (look at habitat) and some scrap angle iron. tied it into the framing (metal building). worked great.