Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you recognize these Speedway dropped tie rod ends?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thinking these have a typical application outside of lowering the tie rod for an F1 with a dropped axle. Anyone happen to recognize the shape or know the "correct" application for these? I would like to pick a pair up at NAPA on the way home.

I'm dropping the tie rod for a lowered F1 and yeah, I'm aware of the drop blocks offered by various vendors. I will make some if it comes to that but these ends look less sketchy to me.

Dropped tie rod ends

2. badshifter

badshifter

Jeep JK ends have worked for me.

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Wondering about this too.

Specs from Speedway...

7 Degree Taper
    1-1/2" of drop
    8"length end to end
    2-1/2" of 11/16"-18 thread

5. hmmmm, wonder if I could use one with my vega cross steer set up....

Looks like I'll need to offset my pitman arm to get it lower, in order to make it work with my setup.

Maybe I could just use the dropped tierod on the pitman end instead of heating and bending my pitman?

don't mean to derail the thread....just a curious note related to the part.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

anybody got a picture or the speedway part #????

I ran into this issue on my T. and made dropped ends from various pieces lapped together and welded.

At the time I looked thru an old MOOG catalog to try and find a ready made example and did not come up with a suitable part. some were close and had a drop, but nothing that would be a bolt in and not ever a pair of right and left threaded to just substitute in there.

Frank

8. alchemy

alchemy

I read on the HAMB previously that a Willys (1937?) had a dropped tie rod end that would work well on a hot rod. I looked on Rock Auto and found them. But I bet the price is higher than Speedway's.

9. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

I just installed those on my 52 F1 last week. Had to shorten the tie rod by about 8", drill and tap the end to install them. Description doesn't mention this :(

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Okay, I remember that thread about them being a Willy's item, but couldn't come up with anything. Maybe add 1937 to my search and try again.

As far is shortening the tie rod goes, I would have made that a cut and weld operation.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So with that I found these linked from another thread from a while ago. (I had posted on it as well)

Willys tie rod ends

I'm going to make quick pass through the NAPA warehouse tomorrow. If I don't find anything I'll make the drop blocks. (already have the stuff for that)

12. Those that you posted are cool looking. I searched the Napa database and got no matches. Be sure you talk to Jack down there. He's the only one that is worth a shit.

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

50 bucks for the pair seems pretty reasonable to me. Even if you could get them elsewhere, I doubt they'd be any cheaper.

Bob

14. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

As far as cut and weld, I thought about that too, but when I proposed it on another forum, I had numerous members say "Don't do it that way" for safety reasons. I can weld and have a buddy that welds for a living, but I decided to do it the "right" way and cut and tap. Worked out just great and I have confidence in my craftsmanship.

15. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I wish I could help, Kevin, I have a similar problem with a dropped front axle on my '32 Chevy; the center link sits about 1/4" from the pitman arm and the front leaf springs. I thought an offset pitman arm and spacers on the springs. Offset tierods would be great, I just can't figure an application. I don't think I would cut and weld, though, just not safe to me.

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Think I have an old midget tie rod at home with them, and I'm pretty sure they are from a pre war Willys. Just got to look at mine, and they are of a female configuration....still think they are Willys though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As far as I know the Willys ones are extinct and very pricey when found. The Rosemeade Ford outfit used to supply them...
    Moog picture book contains a few dropped ends but no way to find out if taper is usable. All I found were relatively recent and would certainly require custom link tapped to suit and of course a search for the left-handed tap needed to avoid an annoying construction kludge.
    The Speedway ones are listed only as pickup parts, but the trucks listed use the same rod ends as early Ford and so they would cross right over. I am sure these are special Speedway made items and not some oddball OEM part.