Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc build update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Some of you are not going to like this update but here it is anyway. We have mounted the air conditioning pump and alternator to this 800hp'es big block with modified serpintine belt drive parts from Zoops. Matson Radiator made us a big 3 row alum radiator,fan shourd and condinsor with promises it will keep it cool :cool:. To help this beast stay cool we made an air dam to fit bettwen the radiator & hood. We also made up ridgit radiator hoses that will be powder painted in a crome color when finished. Installed a set of out inner fender well extensions. Next we are planing to make an air cleaner with 2 inlet ducts going to the front of the car to get some cooler air for the engine.

Rick Erickson of Extreme Kustoms

Attached Files:

2. It's been awhile since i have had time for an update so here is where its at now. That beast of a motor is now running and i can tell you i can literally feel it shake my bones when you rev it. Now we have started to do the body work to get it ready for its paint. We are planing to paint it a very dark burnt cherry or midnight green with no art work just that very deep wet looking candy.

Attached Files:

3. olds vroom

olds vroom

sweet !!!!!!!!!!

4. The hard parts is done the front apron, mouth, headlights and front fenders are finally ruffed out and moving towards the back. Started working the doors friday and getting ready to start on the rear skirts next.

Attached Files:

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

EXK: Looks so sweeet. Keep it going.

6. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Man I need a towel to wipe up all this drool!

7. farmer12

farmer12

Absolutely aweome, very inspiring! Keep up the fantastic work.

8. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

Sick sick sick

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

shes lookin waaaay pretty.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Amazing, I love the way the rear pan continues into the quarter.

11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

You have enough Mercs in there....................:)

12. You can never get to many. Now only if they were all mine as mine are stored outside and not worked on to much :( :confused:

13. Finally got the main body work all ruffed out and wanted to see it all in one color so we literally just layed down a coat of primer and fregin ran out of primer before it was finished :( so you know what i will be doing first thing tomarrow.

Attached Files:

14. Ok this time around we got it all in one color. Gave it another blocking and fitted the forward opening hood. I really wanted to see this one in a color other than your basic flat light grey primer so we mixed it as a sealer to get a little sheen and mixed in a splash of blue tint. I need your help here as my customer is thinking solid gloss black on this one :(. I know the customer is always right but with all these body mods help me convince him to go to some kind of color that will show off all the detail and not hide it. Since the owner likes very dark colors i think a dark forst green or dark copper candy would look killer.

Attached Files:

15. mikes51

mikes51

With all the new paint technology, there might be a dark color that turns bright when the sun hits rounded edges and fillets. Then you would have the best of both worlds. I agree it would be a shame to hide all those fillets and rounds.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That Merc is beautiful. You have done an outstanding job.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Very nice.....your a true craftsman.

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

it will really be a jaw dropper w/ the chrome and paint on.
    Gloss black is good. but i can totally see what you mean.

19. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I was never a real fan of 49-50 Mercs. Always thoght the rear section (quarter panels) needed to be longer, which is why I liked the 51 Merc. Now that I have read this thread and see the mods on this 49 Merc, I can understand what makes them so popular. Finally have a direction for my 50 Merc!

Great work on the 49. I'm subscribed.

20. Hey thanks for the good words. How is that super kool kosmic kart your building coming along ? I personally love big E style inspired roadster kustoms with plans to build one out of the back end of a square bird for myself someday.

21. Ok i need your help. The owner might change his mind on the color from gloss black to a dark cherry red candy:) so lets here what you think black or a dark cherry red ?????

22. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Black is the official color that all cool Merc's should be painted IMHO.....

23. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My vote is for a candy color. Blue would look bitchin IMHO.

24. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

I vote for the copper candy! Awesome work.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a big fan of your work and this build seems to be milder then your norm. I think that
    gloss black would work. It would be kool to see one of your builds with a sinister looking
    black. All of your Mercs seem to have an attitude to them. I would paint it a dark blue or
    purple, so dark that it looks black out of the direct sun light. This way you would have the
    best of both worlds.

What size are the wheels, I'm thinking about a different set up for my Merc.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Happy Trails, Mick

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks I really appreciate the kind words from someone of your caliber . It really means alot.

For this I am a fan of Black Cherry as we call it around these parts. I would go with that over a straight black on this car. :D

27. Got the fender skirts ruffed out and installed. Still need to tweak the gap a little then block the skirts and this baby will be ready for paint :D

Attached Files:

28. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Looking amazing, Rick!

29. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

I'm with Rob ! great car ! :D and i vote for everything but black ! :cool: