Register now to get rid of these ads!

Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goodlife, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Goodlife

Goodlife

Just thought I would share my 53 Ford daily driver pictures and the story behind it.

Bought this truck off e-bay, sight unseen and several states away. The older lady I spoke with said her husband bought it from the original owner 20 years ago to refurbish. He had a stroke recently so she decided to sell it as it had been in the barn all those years and wasn't going to be something he would be able to do now. I had it shipped to my residence and was really surprised when I finally got to look it over. It was in much worse shape than I had imagined after I started looking it over, my wife walked away just shaking her head.It was full of mice carcasses, droppings and nests. I took a deep breath and started the journey to bring it back to life, fully determined to get the job done. A motor rebuild, brakes, interior replacement,wiring and the list goes on to bring her up to speed, and here we are. Since I have retired I drive this daily putting my new Ford truck in storage. EVERY time I go somewhere I get a thumbs up or someone wants to talk to me about the "old truck". A real joy for an old dude!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. looks great , i'd love to have that for a daily driver/shop truck

3. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I have a54 panel I drive every day.I got rid of my tundra,the 54 is more fun and gets plenty of remarks.

4. steve53

steve53

I am 28 years old and drive a '53 chevy every day to work in a pretty similar condition as your '53 ford there. One of the things I like the most about driving it is the stories I hear from peoples lives like "my grandpa used to drive me to school in one of those!" or once even "hehe my boyfriend used to take me to the movies in one of those and we would kiss instead of watching the movie". All these stories from people twice my age telling me they are proud to see it driving around. Makes me equally proud to put in the hours to keep it taking me back and forth to work! Congrats on the truck, the more you drive it the better the thumbs up get.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great story , im all for patina , but i myself would have to at least paint it a solid color , but enjoy it as you like ,

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool old truck! Still running the flathead?

Malcolm

7. Goodlife

Goodlife

Actually it is a six cylinder three speed with a heater option and that is about as far it goes. I had the front end rebuilt and she runs real straight and true with not much effort at 50mph.

8. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Great looking truck!

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I like the looks of it before you primered the fenders and painted the wheels.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks great! Keep on saving them...

11. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Great looking truck! I want to replace my late model truck with something like that, at least you can fix'em on the side of the road if something craters. I think I remember that truck on the Bay did it come out of So Cal?

12. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Shoulda kept the writing on the upper right of the bed. That kind of stuff is just too cool to cover up.

Neat truck still, I am slowly building my wish list and one of these patina-ed trucks is on it!

13. Goodlife

Goodlife

Actually it came out of southern Illinois off of a farm in a very rural area . The lady did tell me that the original owner did drive it to St.Louis one time, as if that was a major driving excursion, and maybe it was back in the day. The delivery transport driver told me she was a real "down home" friendly lady but they were out in the sticks.

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its yours keep doing what you need to do to save it for future generations . Today's new cars and trucks have no soul . Nice truck great save.

15. Great looking truck. I would do the whole truck the same primer color with a cool shop sign on the doors. But thats just me.

16. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Nice looking truck. I bought my truck for a daily driver as well, just haven't made it there yet. I'm hoping this is the year :)