Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ah..dirt pits and a crescent wrench for fine tuning.Dem were da days.

[​IMG]

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Valiant Hairy Canary.Great.

[​IMG]

5. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

9. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

We began racing the Corvair in April 68 and campaigned it throughout the U.S mainly match racing. In 1969 we won the Southern States championships at Bristol and in 1970 won the Mr Chevrolet race at Beeline. It went alot straighter than the vette. Ronnie sold the Vette to Gervaise Oneil who ran it under the King Rat banner. An earlier post said the vette found a new life as a gasser sometime in the 80's. Sure would like to have both of them again. Mike

10. BloFish

BloFish

Does anyone have any info: on this car? Any relations ship to the Paris Bros.?

Attached Files:

11. BloFish

BloFish

Hey Mike, how close is Don to finishing the Corvair?

12. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

more....................

Attached Files:

13. 296ardun

296ardun

If you are referring to the Paris Bros twin motored gas digger, no....This was a So Cal team that ran a power blue Fiat first powered by a blown Desoto (since restored), and this fuel roadster followed it...was really well finished...

14. [​IMG]

One of Scotty Fenn's Chassis research TE-440's.

15. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

I am not sure but sure would like to see it at a cacklefest. He mentioned that he would put a hemi in it :mad:

16. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Neat photo. If we would have known how valuable the push cars(the vette in the backround and the 56 Nomad to the right) would become. Today they would be better than a 401k. SUR E LOVE THIS WEBSITE. Mike;)

17. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks Dean
    Was the TE-440 front end different from their other chassis.Did they make others?Or was that the way they did them all.I am a doorslammer guy but feel an urge to play with an old fed.

18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Hemi!! Mike gives a frown.:)

19. Scotty tried the "rubber biscuit' suspension on the TE 440. I can't say how it worked, but most changed it to a common cross spring. I believe later TE 440 frames used a cross spring. The other Chassis Research frame was the K 88. I have only seen those with a cross spring.

20. hillbilly on nitro

hillbilly on nitro
    from USA

Blue Hell Wrench-Can you give me any info on that 1969 Bristol Southern States race? Was it like a funnycar championship,open event,giant match race? How many fcs were there,and can you recall any of them? thank you for your time!

21. 296ardun

296ardun

Dean is correct, NHRA banned Scotty's rubber biscuit suspension, I think that the last TE-440s had a spring like the later K-88 models. I put a Culbert front end on my TE-440, just layed a perch right on top of the tube that held the biscuit, worked pretty well...(early TE-440s had another problem, thin roll bar tubing (remember that Scotty welded them from muffler tube, called it "muffler moly")...so Jim Tice at San Gabriel wouldn't let us run anything blown in our car, because of an earlier fatality in a TE-440.

22. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Excellent info,guys.
    Thanks.

23. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Yep, we races Bob Sullivan, Gene Snow, Sidney Foster and Danny Ongais for the Saturday night championship. Not too bad for a ALL chevy car. I remember tipping alittle more nitro than Ronnie expected but his response time won alot of races aka Rapid Ronnie. Thanks Mike

24. hillbilly on nitro

hillbilly on nitro
    from USA

Thank you very much,wish I had been there.My first Bristol race was 70,AHRA. take care!!!

25. BigArv65

BigArv65

HS! That's awesome, Mike. I knew your name from having a sad HW addiction, but little did I know that the Dragstrip Demon I had was a real car (I thought it was just an homage to your HW connection). Freakin far out and cool, man!

26. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Here's a picture of my dad holding his Henry J on the line, while another guy drives it. It was a four-speed, and the starting line at Paradise drag strip was slightly uphill, so the cars would roll out of the beams. At this point, this car had a small block Chevy in it, but it had a variety of engines in it over the years.

[​IMG]

This funny car belonged to one of his buddies. Not sure if it was all that fast, but it looked cool!

[​IMG]

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Otto the guy who owned paradise dragstrip died last week and his funeral was being held today

28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Great shots.Was Paradise 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
    That a Cheetah/Devin or what body?Looks like a couple of velocity stacks sticking up.

29. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Paradise was 1/4 mile at one time, still operating as an 1/8 mile strip. It's a pretty cool joint. R.I.P. Otto
    http://www.paradisedragstrip.net/

Photo taken at Paradise Dragstrip. It on the doubleHdragstrip site.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  30. WCD

WCD

Red Paris was the drive and co-owner. Dubbed the Mother In Law, it was the blue Fiat albeit with a lighter fiberglass shell and other modern amenities. Sam basic frame and front suspension. Never saw the Fiat, but the Bantam version was an Irwindale regular.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011