Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Sacramento like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2ton, Mar 6, 2011.

1. 2ton

2ton
    from Colorado

Applying for a job in Sacramento Ca. Never been there. I'm in Denver Co so comparisons would be great. Is the dragstrip worth a damn? What about housing, what part of the city should I be looking at for living? Traffic, weather, stuff to do? Have already been doing some cost of living comparisons and know it's pretty spendy compared to where I am now but real world numbers?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Craig
    You will want to get a place fairly close to were your workin…..over the last 20 years traffic has become unbearable.
    South side of town is the biggest ghetto but there are others.

Sacramento Raceway is decent
    At one time Sacramento was a big dirt racing town.

Iv moved to the hills / out of town 15 years ago so I don’t have any numbers for you but id bet there’s a lot of repo homes up for grabs.

The improvement in weather will make it worth it for you im sure …. Plus tons of car stuff going on in a 100 mile radius.

Greg

3. Depends on whether you are looking to buy or rent. Do you need a garage or is an apt acceptable? Find out the neighborhood you'd be working in and look in that surrounding area. Sacramento sucks traffic wise, there is not a lot of freeway options.... But, the weather is a lot better than Colorado.

4. rcktscientist

rcktscientist
    from San Diego

Can't say much about living there but it's not far to a bunch of great spots in CA. Sacto Dragway has a lot of great nostalgia drags and regular Car Part swap meets. I had my crew cab broke into (smash and grab) at the Marriott parking lot at 4PM on a Saturday afternoon. Stole about $2500 of new race parts in a box and a jacket and sneakers. Seriously, they stole a pair of old sneakers! I understand crime is high there but otherwise not a bad location.

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I lived there for six years and hated to leave... as mentioned, good cruising distance to a lot of places and car events... I put 40K on my 57 in 6 years doing events in LA, Bay area, Tahoe, and looked forward to every Turlock Swap Meet... I wish I had an oppertunity to go back... Best of Luck

6. rick finch

rick finch

I've lived here off & on for 30+ yrs. Job transfers moved me around, but I always came back to the Sacramento area. Tons of hot rod and racing history here, with alot of activity all year around. Weather is hot in the summer, but mild in the winter.
    I think you'll like it here.....

7. gsport

gsport

i lived there for over 50 years, till i retired.. only thing i miss is my son, grandkids and the weather...

8. 2ton

2ton
    from Colorado

Thanks all. I've been in Co all my life and hate to leave but the possible position in Ca is a pretty good opportunity. Better than I've found out here yet. Will be unemployed in mid May, at least I have some warning.

Being a Co guy, I am worried about the weather in Ca, it gets hot in Denver but at least it's dry. Anything over 65 degrees and 30% humidity and I want to shed my skin.

The position is off of highway 99 and Calvine Rd. Is this a good area of town or do I need to carry a weapon? Any good neighborhoods close by? My kids are grown so not worried about schools, just somewhere that the hot rods can be on the street and not get jacked with.

Thanks again.

9. 2ton

2ton
    from Colorado

One other thing, is the dragstrip close to that area? I drive my car to the track so like to be within 15- 20 miles or so.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Calvine would be Elk Grove area …. that’s good to very good
    Dry hot (100 plus) for a few week during summer
    Drag strip is almost strait down grant line road from elk grove
    Try goin on Google earth street level and lookin around.

11. I lived there for a couple years in the mid-90's. The place is flat- no hills, no mountains. I missed those as scenery.

I had my car broken into several times and had spare change and a broken watch stolen, and the steering column (ignition) messed with. Another time when I was visiting I had some stuff stolen out of a locked pickup shell while parked in a parking structure downtown. So, you'd have to be careful with your cars.

If I was moving to a new area I would stay in a hotel or month-to-month rental (not commit long-term) so I could look around for a place. You might try Craigslist.

In looking at Yahoo maps, I'd be inclined to check out what look to be rural towns- Wilton and Sloughhouse.

If 65*F is hot to you, then you're gonna combust in the summer. Imagine being stuck in traffic on a 100+ day with no A/C. I don't remember the humidity.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If 65 is your tops in heat, you'll definitely be having some problems with that. It will be in the 90's most of the summer and a few days easily over a 100, and the summer is longer than most other parts of the country. Winters are mild though and pretty rare to snow.

If you are young, maybe get something near downtown where most of the interesting action is.

But, easy trip east to the mountains and Tahoe and not too far from the bay area and San Francisco and coast or Napa areas either.

13. gsport

gsport

i actually lived about a mile from there.... stay to the east of 99 and the farther south the better.. Elk Grove is a much better place than south sacramento and only a few miles down the road
    what place are you looking to work at?? i worked about 3 miles from there and drove by there daily