Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my sketchy 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hell ya !!!. Never understood or still don't understand how Ford being the one to massproduce parts that can interchange never did this with there product like Chevrolet did. All the SBC stuff can be swapped from one to the other (before its said, yes there are a few that won't).

2. 2Loose

2Loose

8fleet9, glad to see yer progress, I'm still at least 2 months from firing mine up, but am able to get in at least a couple hours work on 'er each day, so at least seeing progress! Found another guy (from HI but now in WA) working on a '55 "more-door" like me, glad there are at least a couple of us around not scared of the 4dr old gals....

Like many of the others I love those front wheels you have, hope you can find another tire to match that skinny line whitewall, way cool....
    Keep up the posts, love readin' bout yer progress...
    Aloha,
    Willy
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. lorodz

lorodz

looking good ..hope i can make it out to the fallout this year

4. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks man!

you gotta make it out to milltown! i'll save you a spot.

5. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

6. lorodz

lorodz

what day is it on a saturday or sunday ? the new job gives me no saturdays off.

7. 521BJXL

521BJXL
    from ak

:D Nothing like a four geared Chevy gasser tooling around terrorizing the old women and children!

8. ironfistdog

ironfistdog
    from Warren, ma

Did you know this was his car you were gettin? Or did you find that out later (or now, lol!) That's crazy how it things come together like that! Its lookin good man!

9. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

gates open friday at 3pm friday & ends saturday nite at last call which is like 2 am. there's on site camping, our club has a whole tent city. you shuold just take the day outta work now!

found out now. i'm pretty sure rob's seen my car since i've been driving it. he never mentioned anything that i recall. i'll ask him now though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

22 pages in one stting! Can't believe I just found this build thread! The car is awesome! Has the perfect look, and nobody would ever guess it's been recently done. Looks like a barn find from the 60's! Love it!

11. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

sketchy my ass, car is sweet everytime i catch this thread i gott check out the whole thing again, and the 55-57 chevys arent my favorite, but yours is the stuff!

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

[RIGHT I'm bummed to here that my 55 chevy has been turned in to toilet on wheels ,when I had the car all the vin numbers matched and it had a 327 and three speed .it was my daily driver in high school .I sold it and the 396 to a guy I never met my dad handled it for me .selling the car was a big mistake and it sucks Someone messed it up. But you alsow may not have my car you MIT just have the doors .is it red and white send me pick or maybe not if it is what you say I MIT not want to see it the car was nice and org when I sold it.I alsow would like to buy it back if it's really my car. Alsow please take my address of this post thanks RG .[/RIGHT]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  13. ricky from va

ricky from va

wish i had problems like this 55. looks like a good start

14. negaveck

negaveck

you forgot the ] after the first right. Also that is kinda confusing, you don't wanna see it but you wanna buy it back?

15. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

that thing is one bad a$$ pile no offence

16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

haha none taken!

17. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

nice build!----i couldnt cut those quarters like you did--------so i bought one that was already cut

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Nice machine. The radiused wheel wells look like they were done right. This car definitely rocks the "rough" look without being a rat. I dig it.

19. Looks like a great project. I went through the whole thread checking out the progress. Looking good!

20. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks.

it wouldn't look nearly as "rough" if a certain someone would've left the trim on it & didn't fog it with black spray bomb, but what can ya do? right? the paint that was on it still had some shine to it. & if that was the case i prolly would have been more motivated to get the glass clip all one color.

i have every intention of getting it painted. i'm a mechanic, not a body guy.

21. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

its a 55 chevy, cant really go wrong with it.

22. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

now that the valvetrain is straightened out some tuning issues need to be resolved. hesitation & stumble along with a terrible idle need to be worked out.

i also replaced the lower balljoints this weekend. while i was at it i added the ball joint & spring spacers i had sitting under the bench for the past year. the spacers really let those too tall front springs work!

Attached Files:

23. glassguy

glassguy

hey man.. my buddy in plaistow is biulding a 55 gasser, and is selling a disc brake setup cheap, now that he decided to go with an axle. pm me if ya want the contact

24. lorodz

lorodz

looks sick ..nice rake

25. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

Outstanding job.

26. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

here's a lil before & after on the rake.
    gained about an inch with the spring spacers. i dig it.

Attached Files:

27. lorodz

lorodz

looks good as always.i gotta start on mine too i gotta swap the gas tank for a fuel cell.and fix a wheel cylinder ..

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Look'n good. Could not tell from photo. Did you remove the lower bump stop brackets from the frame so spacer does not touch.

29. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks man, is your car outta the snow bank yet?

yeah, there was no way the b.j. spacer would fit without removing that bracket. i took the air chisel to the bump-stop bracket, popped it right off. the biggest pain in the ass was getting the springs back in the pocket & the a-arm to compress it by myself. i had an inside style spring compressor that helped but i could only go so far with it before it hit the top of the pocket.

there were many curse words in that 4 hour span.

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ya, tall springs are a pain with out that compresser. You can put an elephant on the fender and still not get the stud to the spindle.