Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roger Miret's 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FuManchu, Dec 25, 2010.

1. that chop looks so good.

2. KustomFan

KustomFan
    from California

3. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

love the headlight treatment, great build

4. Great work so far. Your craftsmanship is definately top notch. How about some more info on reversing the hassle when you get a chance.

5. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Had a fever the last 2 days. Getting back to the shop today, hopefully some updates coming...

6. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How ya feeling man? Making any progress?

7. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Here's what sucks about chopping tops. You brace the body, you cut the roof, you weld everything back in place, cut the bracing out and DONE! Right? That's the easy part. These doors and windows are taking forever!

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

Those garnish molding look great! Any shots on where you cut them to get them to flow that nice?

9. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Looks sexy... then again, why wouldn't it?

10. are you using the wood to give you a reference for the spacing on the molding? My dumbass would have put glass in and then broke it one of twice before doing it that way.

11. Wow, your doing one hell of a good job man! Hope my chop on my pickup comes out half as nice as this.

12. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Here's some pics of the other side tacked together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

The wood is mostly for a template for the new glass, but it is 1/4 thick so it also acts to give spacing, and alignment etc. Started with pattern board, then on to wood for the final template. It works out great. Thanks for the compliments! I'm working on the quarter windows now. Thant's a whole other ball of wax. With the slanted posts, alot has had to be changed to get some glass in there. Plus I'm getting the windows to roll all the way down. Lots of tedious stuff!!!

14. tedious stuff is what will make it all worth it. thanks for updating this thread so often.

15. nummie

nummie

subscribed. The Wife wants one of these so bad... gotta learn all I can, as I am sure we cannot afford to pay you what your talents are worth!! Bravo. looks great, and your getting all the details perfect. Its looking amazing

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  16. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Jeesus fucking Christ! I'm sick of these windows!

Here's the passenger side for reference, I haven't cut into it yet.

[​IMG]

So I've had to reposition the window channel guides, lower the bottom of the quarter glass bay (whatever it's called, needed for more travel), reposition the regulator, Make a new pillar to connect the roof rail to the inner structure of the quarter, and make the garnish moulding fit. Almost done with the driver side, heres pics of mock ups, etc. Some of this inner structure stuff I'm just MIG'ing and seam sealing. You'll never see it, and it will be solid and waterproof. I kinda think it's a waste of time to butt weld and metal finish stuff that will never see the light of day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The window goes all the way down now, and works. Plus the roof is secured. At least all the chin scratching is done and all I gotta do to the other side is get it done.

17. Jake H.

Jake H.

Yea, dude. You're such a hack with MIG welding and seam sealer....

Shit, that looks better than most of the all-thumbs fab-work I've attempted on a trunk floor that was still visible without a mat or carpeting.

This car is going to rule. You just keep raising the bar with each build, man.

18. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

I Know there are only thousands of chopped 53-54 Chevy's out there. Do any of you have pictures of how these issues are normally solved? Like tying the roof rail back into the inner structure on the quarter. I'm curious if I've over thought this?

19. 54BOMB

54BOMB

This thread rules, Ive really enjoyed seeing all this come together in the last few weeks, thanks.

20. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

my experience, 90% of the guys that chop cars do little to nothing in the way of re-engineering and re-building the inner structure. your work is way beyond the norm.

very nice work.

21. Agreed happy hoppy. Mike, you are going above and beyond on the details which is great to see. Mike

22. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Wow just went page to page. What great work! Great thread. Thanks for all the updates and pictures. Really enjoyed looking at it.

23. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Working my ass off and nothing I wanna take pics of! That'll change soon. For Roger to have a phobia of sand, he's a get down mother fucker when it comes to stripping paint! ;) He got the dash ready for primer, but wanted to just clean it up a little, without getting too street roddy with it where the dash has more work than the rest of the car.

Before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

template...

[​IMG]

Blank...

[​IMG]

Tacked in, get it welded menyana...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking of making our own dash knobs, I've got some diamond dust, stoked to see how they come out.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  24. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

So for the last couple of days Ive been jumping around doing other stuff, cause who wants to see pictures of modified regulators? Technicalness = GAY.

Extended the skirts by 1 an a half inches...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

26. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

ridiculous.

flaco

27. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

So fucking money.... extended flared skirts do the trick and then some.

28. NICE SHIRT !!

Welcome

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I extended my skirts on my 54 too, I was doing some brake work and had them on my driveway, my wife came home and drove over one of them, the driveway was the same color as the skirts. I still have it, I look at the crumpled mess once in a while.

30. I told you , you look better in short skirts.
    especially driveway color